Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It got me thinking why did Apple allow people to buy the new Iphone in advance and then get it delivered.

I would have thought that seeing huge quese in front of AT&T and Apple stores would be great free publicity. Then it occurred to me - what if Apple expects the Iphone 3GS not to sell as well as the Iphone 3G and to stop people commenting on a lack of queues - an easy answer would be - everyone pre-ordered.

The original Iphone came out 2 years ago and sold 6.1m units, A vast majority of buyer upgraded to the Iphone 3G as the original was lacking in some areas. Noe the Iphone 3G has sold about 15 million units. Everyone who really wanted an Iphone has one. Now as the change from Iphone 3G to 3GS is not as radical a shift from Iphone to Iphone 3G how bad would it look if sales are down?

One way of hiding this fact would be to offer pre-orders.
    well, the 3G > 3GS jump is more significant than the original > 3G... And now with ATT allowing full subsidized pricing for people who upgraded in July / August / September , you're going to see a lot more people lining up Friday... As for the lines and whatnot, I think it was smart for them to offload some of the pressure onto pre-orders and shipping, it's not all about the image outside the store, it's about how many units they can move.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Please Note:
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The Forum for discussing Palm Pre vs [Device]:

Palm Pre vs [Device]

It's a Forum for discussing differences in devices.
    Please discuss Palm Pre in comparison with [Device] there.
    Please discuss how [Device] will effect/affect Palm Pre there.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-SC View Post
    well, the 3G > 3GS jump is more significant than the original > 3G...
    I'm sorry, but I don't see that. What's your logic?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Come on guys, leave it on the Apple forums please.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    It might perhaps be out of the norm for Apple to NOT do pre-orders. I pre-ordered a first gen iPod Touch when they were finally announced. Pre-ordered a MacBook Pro when it was announced at Macworld a few years ago. It's not unusual for Apple to let people start ordering products as soon as they make the announcement on official availability, which is usually within weeks of the announcement.

With regards to the iPhone... I think perhaps with the first iPhone (and maybe the second), they hadn't ironed out the process with regards to AT&T and phone activation (had to do it in store back then, no?)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, with the media being so Apple-friendly then Apple is the ONLY company that can successfully pull off a pre-order media circus. Nowadays, anyone else who tries it gets the snarky headlines that do nothing for their public image because the article will be something like "Microsoft manages to round up long line of losers for Windows 7 Release".

That's why I think it's in Sprint/Palm's best interest to quit with the Apple envy and just focus on making customers happy. And that means when the Pre 2.0 comes out then let us pre-order it rather than forcing us to wait 3hrs in a line of 5 people on a Saturday morning because the sales clerks weren't allowed to tell us how many phones were coming in stock.
    "what if Apple expects the Iphone 3GS not to sell as well as the Iphone 3G" This may be correct.

AT&T now allowing some 3G people to upgrade early at full subsidized price:

AT&T relents a little, lets iPhone 3G customers with upcoming upgrade dates buy 3G S at full subsidy

Something to help sales along? Either that or it's to stem the bad press AT&T keeps getting recently. Or both.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Apple allowed the pre-orders to get more phones sold sooner. It's a lot cheaper for them to ship from central warehouses to customers than it is for

1. retail stores to order from warehouses
    2. have the warehouses pack the trucks
    3. have the phones shipped to to the retail stores
    4. have the stores unpack the trucks
    4a. shelf the merchandise
    4b. man the stores
    4c manage the crowds
    4d. sell the phones.

Saves 5+ steps and a bunch of labor in the process.

Apple doesn't need big lines for the iPhone anymore. They just need to shovel them out of the factories into the hands of the millions of people who want one.
    Kupe is correct. And i think AT&T caved in after realizing they could get a lot of sales now instead of customers actually having time to play with 3.0 and perhaps not upgrading later.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Apple allowed the pre-orders to get more phones sold sooner. It's a lot cheaper for them to ship from central warehouses to customers than it is for

1. retail stores to order from warehouses
    2. have the warehouses pack the trucks
    3. have the phones shipped to to the retail stores
    4. have the stores unpack the trucks
    4a. shelf the merchandise
    4b. man the stores
    4c manage the crowds
    4d. sell the phones.

Saves 5+ steps and a bunch of labor in the process.

Apple doesn't need big lines for the iPhone anymore. They just need to shovel them out of the factories into the hands of the millions of people who want one.
    So why didnt they do this with the Iphone 3G?

Why is AT&T relenting on susbidy? After seeing ahem pre orders - at less than expected levels.

Big queues and lines still make headline news - opening up a special delivery from UPS doesn't. Apple being the marketing machine they are would not have missed that trick.

If this is the case - then why don't all phone manufacturers in conjuction with the operators just ship from a central location? They don't because the salesmen in the shops can sell added services and bring in extra revenue.
    And yet they're still opening doors early at 7am on Friday, both AT&T and Apple.

I'm not completely sure about the "saving steps" theory. It's a real hassle to open at 7am IMO. I get the feeling they did that to encourage even more sales. I DO think they're trying harder than before to sell phones because they know full well that there's no reason economically to upgrade from the 3G unless you really must have those newer features, storage and speed. You can jailbreak the 3G and get some of those features. They're even close to jailbreaking and unlocking 3.0 for 3G users. You obviously won't get the speed of the new phone, but you won't need to sign another contract either. Which matters, because AT&T is wearing out it's welcome.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    So why didnt they do this with the Iphone 3G?
    Because the iPhone 3G was a world phone - a worldwide simultaneous release. Definitely want photo ops of lines around the globe.

Why is AT&T relenting on susbidy? After seeing ahem pre orders - at less than expected levels.
    AT&T is a subset of the Apple sales now. Folks with a choice choose a different carrier. The pre-orders exceeded supply - that seems like a (ahem) good thing if you're Apple.

Big queues and lines still make headline news - opening up a special delivery from UPS doesn't. Apple being the marketing machine they are would not have missed that trick.
    There's no way pre-orders are going to eliminate the lines. But they might mitigate the onerous nature of last year's lines which were many hours long.

If this is the case - then why don't all phone manufacturers in conjuction with the operators just ship from a central location? They don't because the salesmen in the shops can sell added services and bring in extra revenue.
    All operators do ship (but not necessarily from a single, central location - that's inefficient). They also have retail stores to show the flag. Sales people serve a purpose day-to-day - they convince shoppers to buy their products. But when there are 800 people outside the door waiting to buy their phone, they don't need to be convinced to buy a phone or features - they're simply there to buy. A lot of them can do that online, but there will always be those folks that just like the shared experience of the big crowd and personal attention of a release day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva
    I'm not completely sure about the "saving steps" theory. It's a real hassle to open at 7am IMO.
    But it's still cheaper to sell a phone online than in a retail store, which was my point.

I get the feeling they did that to encourage even more sales.
    Of course - why else would a company choose multiple vending channels if not to increase sales? Customer convenience?

I DO think they're trying harder than before to sell phones because they know full well that there's no reason economically to upgrade from the 3G unless you really must have those newer features, storage and speed. You can jailbreak the 3G and get some of those features. They're even close to jailbreaking and unlocking 3.0 for 3G users. You obviously won't get the speed of the new phone, but you won't need to sign another contract either. Which matters, because AT&T is wearing out it's welcome.
    Your viewpoint is a US-centric viewpoint. The HSDPA and tethering capabilities have a much bigger following overseas - and those features are clearly something AT&T is incapable of handling on their US network.
    Is this a Palm Pre forum or an I Phone forum??????
    Quote Originally Posted by mbord1 View Post
    Is this a Palm Pre forum or an I Phone forum??????
    Last time I looked, this was a "Cross Platform Chat" forum shared by 2 sites: A Palm Pre-centric site and a Treo-centric site. Are you trying to squelch the spirit of this forum?
    While there is nothing wrong about discussing iPhone on this site but IMO it would be more appropriate to discuss them in the sister forum site The iPhone Blog as both Pre|Central and TreoCentral sites are Palm product centric sites.

In general, users come here to know, explain, report problems and help about Palm products not the iPhone or BB or others. Users post here occasionally to bring their own experience on another platform as compared to the competitive Palm devices. However, it is really not fair for the Palm users if all they see is iPhone this and iPhone that (or substitute BB instead of iPhone) when this is supposed to be a Palm centric site.

This is not directed to the OP (my apologies in advance) but to all the iPhone, BB and other devices users that may take this somewhat differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    But it's still cheaper to sell a phone online than in a retail store, which was my point.

Of course - why else would a company choose multiple vending channels if not to increase sales? Customer convenience?

Your viewpoint is a US-centric viewpoint. The HSDPA and tethering capabilities have a much bigger following overseas - and those features are clearly something AT&T is incapable of handling on their US network.
    7am is not a customer convenience, unless it's for people who want to get one before they go to work. But this is also a marketing ploy. They've created a perceived heavy demand. By opening the doors that early, they're effectively saying "you need to be here ASAP to get your 3GS before they sell out". The line has already formed in NYC, the strategy worked.

As for people overseas, they already have phones that do this. It's still not necessary to get the new iPhone unless you really like it and would prefer an up-to-date model.

So yes, I think Apple must try harder to sell the new phone in all countries it's available in. Because here, AT&T is lame, so the 3G is good enough FOR NOW. And overseas, they have so much choice of HSDPA, iPhone 3GS is just another addition. Fanpeople like those waiting in line in the pouring rain a day early will always buy the iPhone, but others may hesitate. I would love the 32GB storage but until AT&T gets their anti-consumer act toward iPhone users together, I may just go with another unlocked phone this time. I was all set to renew my contract but will now wait and see if AT&T corrects some of their crap. Not allowing services that are available on other phones, yet the contract is more expensive, is just pissing me off.

So much for this theory. There are lines already forming at AT&T stores. This despite tons of people pre-ordering online for home delivery. Sorry to say, but I have a feeling that this modest iPhone upgrade is going to far outsell the pre during their respective opening weekends. Hopefully the pre does well, though, as I like healthy competition.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    "what if Apple expects the Iphone 3GS not to sell as well as the Iphone 3G" This may be correct.

AT&T now allowing some 3G people to upgrade early at full subsidized price:

AT&T relents a little, lets iPhone 3G customers with upcoming upgrade dates buy 3G S at full subsidy

Something to help sales along? Either that or it's to stem the bad press AT&T keeps getting recently. Or both.

I vote for BOTH!!
  20.    #20  
    iPhone 3G S retail debuts to meager reception

Well the pics for the UK tell a different story.

I didnt see from any news report huge queues anywhere.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast