Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Because the iPhone 3G was a world phone - a worldwide simultaneous release. Definitely want photo ops of lines around the globe.
    This doesn't make sense at all. I said why didnt they do pre-orders with the Iphone 3G like they have with the 3G S. The above makes no sense.

AT&T is a subset of the Apple sales now. Folks with a choice choose a different carrier. The pre-orders exceeded supply - that seems like a (ahem) good thing if you're Apple.
    Again makes no sense. How many have been pre-ordered? I have a supply of 10 and If I order 11 it exceeds supply - without numbers that's just a throw away statement.

All operators do ship (but not necessarily from a single, central location - that's inefficient).
    Apple allowed the pre-orders to get more phones sold sooner. It's a lot cheaper for them to ship from central warehouses to customers than it is for
    I smell Kupe logic there. It's inconsistent and makes no sense.

But it's still cheaper to sell a phone online than in a retail store, which was my point.
    So why didn't they sell the Iphone 3G online and take pre-orders straight away?

Your viewpoint is a US-centric viewpoint. The HSDPA and tethering capabilities have a much bigger following overseas - and those features are clearly something AT&T is incapable of handling on their US network.
    Ahem. Sorry I am in the UK. Over here the exclusive operator O2 is banning tethering and monitoring hacks that enable it.

As to tethering been doing it on Symbian and Winmo phones well before Iphone so whats the point regards tethering? It's an Iphone exclusive?
    He was talking to me when he made those last 2 points.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    This doesn't make sense at all. I said why didnt they do pre-orders with the Iphone 3G like they have with the 3G S. The above makes no sense.
    I guess you simply don't understand marketing 101 then. Pre-orders with the 3G would have resulted in shorter lines which, in turn, would result in less free press for Apple and free press is free advertising. Apple wanted to get the buzz out in a big way which long lines in front of their stores achieved. I didn't realize I would have to connect-the-dots for you in minute detail - I can provide further explanation if you still really need it.

Again makes no sense. How many have been pre-ordered? I have a supply of 10 and If I order 11 it exceeds supply - without numbers that's just a throw away statement.
    I agree - red herring examples like yours make no sense at all. However, in the real world of large scale phone releases (you know, the several hundred thousands number on the first weekend kind of numbers?) orders of 10 sounds pretty silly. If anything like last year (or the year before), Apple will sell several hundred thousand phones in the first few days. If half of their sales are through mail order, then that's half of several hundred thousand who don't have to wait inline for their phone. You don't need to be a business major to figure that all out by yourself - however, it helps if you're not being intentionally obtuse.

I smell Kupe logic there. It's inconsistent and makes no sense.
    I have no doubt that made no sense to you. That's a business 102 topic and the 101 topics are leaving you guessing. I'd ask you to re-read it, but the iPhone 4G will probably be out by the time you finish.

So why didn't they sell the Iphone 3G online and take pre-orders straight away?
    Back to marketing 101 for you. It's covered in my first response of this post.

Ahem. Sorry I am in the UK. Over here the exclusive operator O2 is banning tethering and monitoring hacks that enable it.
    Not according to articles like this one. You may have to pay 15 pounds/mo for the privilege (I believe you all call it a bolt-on agreement?), which many find distasteful, but the tether option is available. As to monitoring hacks, I wish O2 good luck with that!

As to tethering been doing it on Symbian and Winmo phones well before Iphone so whats the point regards tethering? It's an Iphone exclusive?
    I think Phone Diva already responded to this one - but I can assure you: You're the only one here linking the words "tethering" and "iPhone exclusive."
  4.    #24  
    Kupe you make no sense.

So Apple wants less free press for the 3G S? Going by your logic - less lines means less press.

Again you never provided some evidence that pre-orders exceeded supplies.

First you argue that its cost efficient to ship from central locations then you argue its not. If you can't read that with the quotes then comprehension 101 for you.

Apples wants as much publicity as it can get for its products.

As to the lack of lines in the UK. it's due to lack of demand.

o2 and Carphone Warhouse have only accepted pre-orders from new customers. When the bulk of Iphone 3G S customers will be current Iphone customers - would'nt according to you they be running to queue up to get the short in supply 3G S?

Well surprise surprise the queues have been minimal.

I suspect sales of the Iphone 3G S to be less than the Iphone 3G no matter what spin you put on it. Pre-orders is the marketing spin to hide the fact of lower sales.
    Kupe you make no sense.

So Apple wants less free press for the 3G S? Going by your logic - less lines means less press.

Again you never provided some evidence that pre-orders exceeded supplies.

First you argue that its cost efficient to ship from central locations then you argue its not. If you can't read that with the quotes then comprehension 101 for you.

Apples wants as much publicity as it can get for its products.

As to the lack of lines in the UK. it's due to lack of demand.

o2 and Carphone Warhouse have only accepted pre-orders from new customers. When the bulk of Iphone 3G S customers will be current Iphone customers - would'nt according to you they be running to queue up to get the short in supply 3G S?

Well surprise surprise the queues have been minimal.

I suspect sales of the Iphone 3G S to be less than the Iphone 3G no matter what spin you put on it. Pre-orders is the marketing spin to hide the fact of lower sales.
    iPhone 3G S Launch Sales to Exceed 3G Launch I guess you couldn't be any more wrong could you?

Like I said - intentionally obtuse. Go troll somewhere else.
    Last edited by Kupe; 06/20/2009 at 08:50 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12