View Poll Results: What do you think of the current state of VFS management on PalmOS?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tower of Babel - Too much of a headache!

5 29.41%
  • United Nations - Using all these apps to manage VFS media adds variety to my Palm experience!

12 70.59%
  1.    #1  
    What do you all think of the current state of expanded memory for the Palm OS platform? There is a tangle of products out there right now like MSMount, PiDirect, and PowerRun with different approaches to managing execution and access of apps and databases on VFS media. Along with those come the file managers like McFile and Filez. You can spend hours tinkering around with different combinations of these products to get different effects on your handheld.

Roll your own
    For me I love to tinker, and don't mind the frequent soft- and occasional hard-reset. I'm not really looking forward to the day when internal and external memory is seamless. What fun is that?

On the other hand, more typical users are probably scared off by the wild west state of file management right now. Where do you stand?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    A further question: is the VFS experience less hectic and uncertain on an OS 4.0 Palm, as opposed to those of us using it on earlier OS versions? (Via Kopsis VFSHelper?)

I think the milestone I'm waiting for is an AvantGo (and other apps) that allow documents/data to be hotsynced from your computer directly to the memory card -- and applications that are VFS aware enough to start looking out there (or having a way to be told that they should.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    As cool as it would be to have apps sync directly to the card, it would be very difficult from the developers' standpoint. Each device has its own system for handling data.

If a developer like AvantGo were to try to cover all the devices out there, tehy would have to release builds for Visor Springboard, Palm SD, Sony Memory Stick, and Handera SD and CF. (on top of that, AvantGo also supports POcket PC, so throw HP, Compaq, Casio and others in there).

Right now, it just doesn't look economically feasible to support all of those models. Trust me, I want the functionality too, but there are other issues facing most of these companies right now.
    Originally posted by WM5051
    As cool as it would be to have apps sync directly to the card, it would be very difficult from the developers' standpoint. Each device has its own system for handling data.
    That's the point of VFS, one expandability standard across all devices. As it stands, one VFS prog will work fine with any of the devices you've named, plus a few bugs. I expect that it will be 6 months or so until all those bugs are worked out. Then? Golden, baby, golden.
    Originally posted by WM5051
    My apologies -- I re-read my original article and realized that I wasn't very clear. When I said "allow documents/data to be hotsynced from your computer directly to the memory card", I meant through the PDA -- not directly between the PC/Mac to the card.

I.e., when Hotsyncing with the Palm/Visor takes place, the AvantGo conduit and AvantGo app (to use an example) would (if configured to do so) use VFS on the Palm to copy the AvantGo data files out to the memory card, using VFS as the common API for any memory card device. Of course, the AvantGo app would also have to know to look out on the memory card for the data files as well.

I agree with you -- expecting a company to know the hardware specifics of every memory card would be nuts. I'm hoping something can be done to leverage the VFS option to allow files to be hotsynced to the card thru the Palm device.

That still sounds like a programming challenge, but (to me) do-able.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    VFS is great. give it time, and we'll have seamless memory expansion. The hardware is there. We just have to wait for the software to catch up(and it's making great progress ala PiDirect).

EDIT:
    wanted to add that I too spent a lot of time figuring out the peculiarities of VFS coming from a non vfs VDx background.

I've tried msmount + powerrun, ss, launcher3, and now finally PiDirectVFS. Throw in some backup utilities, and mix in flash management, and you're in PDA geek heaven! But for sure, it will only get better.

Now i wish i got a bigger sd card! 32 megs isn't enough! (granted I can live without some of those tealmovies =).

And another thing. Syncing to the Card will happen over time too. Just look at Photosuite. You can sync pictures directly to card. how hard will it be to include that into things like avantgo?
    Last edited by mr_yellow; 09/26/2001 at 05:19 PM.
    My opinion is that all of these programs like MSMount, PiDirect, and PowerRun are a distraction from getting other applications to properly support VFS directly.
    I love VFS. Its a keeper
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    My opinion is that when you read about this stuff and don't have a memory card adaptor then it is a perpetual headache, however I find once you get the device so you can do your tinkering, then endless fun!
    VFS ROCKS! We should all email the developers of our favourite applications to add support for this!