1.    #1  
    I owned a Visor Deluxe for 4 months. It was stolen. I've had an iPaq 3135 (monochrome) for 2 months. iPaq wins. I used to be a big Palm freak, flaming almost every WinCE board I found. Then after my VDX was stolen, I bought a mono-iPaq because it was $50 cheaper than a VDX, and I love it. I weighed the options:

iPaq 3135 can play most multimedia files, can read/write Word/Excel docs with no conversion, has a better screen than VDX, standardized compact flash expansion, multitasking, and costs $50 less than a Visor Deluxe.

Visor Deluxe can beep, can edit Word/Excel docs by purchasing software, has a mono-green screen, EXPENSIVE propriatary springboard expansion, cannot multitask at all, and costs $50 more than a monPaq.

Sure it may have fewer software titles, and even less than most PocketPC's due to the mono-screen (gaming-wise), but it can still do everything a Palm can do and do it better. Name a feature on the Palm and the PocketPC can outdo it. And you don't need to bust your bank either; for a while they were at Circuit City for $50.
    if you are gonna get a pocketpc, i would get a COLOR one, hi res color screens are much better than monochrome
    I have a platinum at the minute and am happy with it. But what if I wanted to upgrade? The natural choice for me would be to go to colour. My dad has a IIIc and i think that would be a backward step apart from the colour. Sony710c or any of thier colour devices, Handsrping Visor prism and palm m505 all cost at least 330. There is a deal on the HP Jordana 525 at the minute- 199! But pocketpc2002 is coming out and the HP isn't flashable. So, I can get an Ipaq 3630 for 330-340. It can be flashed and Compaq will upgrade it for free. Lookin purely at the technical spec these machines are FAR superior to palmos devices, which then look extremely overpriced. I was checking out the specs on pocketpc2002 and in my brief reseacrch I found stuff like: they can transfer data from palms, i found out how to sync my old palm to my pc and then put the data onto a pocketpc, the handwriting recognition CAN NOW USE GRAFFITI! and I also saw a reference to how palms sound crap as well.
    Looks like the makers, but especially Microsoft are out to get *US* (the palm loyal).
    And I've got to admit that it's starting to work on me... boo-hoo...
    Alan Millar
  4.    #4  
    Point is, monochrome PPC's are cheaper than most Palms and are much more functional.
    Well, to each their own. I do covet the Pocket PC hardware (and if Sony could ever get their Industrial Design folks in gear and make a more rugged set of buttons, that would be enough); but I worked with a Pocket PC for a couple of days, and did not find it an effective substitute for a Palm.

My (and I stress the my here) main problems with the Pocket PC is that I had to constantly stop and think about how I was going to do something. It wasn't the learning curve moving from a Palm to another OS (that definitely took a day); it was just that I didn't find it intuitive to get the information on the screen that I wanted to view.

With the Visor, it's bing-bang-boom, there ya go. With the Ipaq, it was hmmmmmmmmmmmm......click-click-snap-snap-bump-bump-ding-ding pop. (Which reflects the way my mind works (or doesn't) more than either OS's UI design.) I will say that MS has improved Windows CE much over the last 5 years; but I don't like it yet.

I also really prefer Datebk4 as an organizer. (And I hate Outlook on the PC. Hate it. Have for years, and the product just gets worse with age. Not to mention that it's the world's biggest ***** for e-mail viruses.)

Frankly, I know what I want, and when it comes on the market I'll buy it. It's preferably a HandSpring color Clie, with OS 4.x. If it doesn't arrive by Spring, then a Palm (or a reconstructed Sony, with usable buttons) will do.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Good points bookrats,

Here's my view...

I've used a number of Palm and PPC devices, ranging from handheld PCs, to Pocket PCs, to Palms. WinCE 3.0 is a great improvement and I'm sure Pocket PC 2002 will be even better as well. However, they're improving in all the wrong areas. Sure, the UI looks cleaner and better, you can do "more" with your PPC than before, and the hardware is faster, but still, PPC is lacking functionality in BASIC needs.

The Pocket PCs I've used are all great, iPAQ and Casio. The games are great, and MP3's are pretty cool. However, when it came to using it for what's it made for (date book, phone book, to-do list, memos) it failed miserably. Bookrats it right, you just have to think to much and tap too much. Not saying that i'm incompetent, and can't think, it's just, this is PDA, its SUPPOSE to be quick and intuitive, I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO THINK, it should be just 1-2-3, I'm done. Not, 1 to 50, I'm done. No, quick and easy. That's what Palm is and has been doing for the past 5 years. PPC still can't get that aspect.

The PalmOS devices I've used can accomplish everything I can do with PPC, if not more and easier and faster. Now I use a Sony Clie PEG-N710c, and I CAN DO EVERYTHING PPC CAN. Also, PPC are much too big for my pleasure, I can never carry them in my pocket, unlike Palms. You rarely see a PPC user keep their PPC in their pocket, even though it's "Pocket" PC. Just a small note.

Pocket PC is great hardware, bad software.
    Palm is good hardware, great software.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    I would have to agree with Bookrats. It really comes down to a matter of personal preference. Use what feels comfortable. Throughout most of last year, I was madly in love with PocketPC devices, mainly for the functionality. But in the end I came back to the Palm camp. For me, it came down to several factors, but formfactor was the biggest sticking point. All of the PPC devices I sampled were too large. I ended up carrying most of them on a belt-clip. That got old real fast. I tried telling myself that it wasn't a problem. "You just clip it onto your hip, and its barely noticeable!" WRONG! The last straw was when I started to notice myself avoiding having to carry it around. Sometimes I would leave it on my desk, or in car when I deemed it "unnecessary" to have a PDA by my side. When your "Personal" digital assistant becomes "impersonal", its time to say goodbye. The M505 I carry now is a sad joke compared to a PocketPC, in terms of features. But it is one of the most practical PDAs I have ever possessed. Slim, sleek, and portable. It slips into my pants pocket, and I barely notice it's there at all.

I also didn't like the idea of living on an "all Microsoft diet". Owning a PPC forced me to use Outlook (which is pure garbage), and other MS Office applications, including Money 2001. PocketPC has many advantages, but Microsoft seems hell bent on using it as a tool to steer consumers to their products and services. As a Palm user, it's nice being able to use something that doesn't wear the Windows flag!

That's not to say that I'm satisfied with the Palm platform. In fact, I think the PalmOS is an aging relic, and the hardware is about as exciting as a bowl of Quaker Oatmeal. But until Microsoft and its partners can trim a PPC down to the size of a Palm M505, or just slightly larger, I won't be going back.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Several great points
    This is a "ditto" note, but I really want to nod agreement with F.F. about the portability of the thing -- particularly since I wear my Visor on my belt and it is portable. I never put the IPAQ on my belt, but I wouldn't have wanted to -- would have felt like a six shooter.

And also, I admit prejudices about contributing more $$ to M$. (You have to program Windows software for 10 years to really hate Microsoft ) It didn't figure into my decision to stick with Palm devices, but now that the choice is made, it's definitely in the "yes, and..." category.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    When your "Personal" digital assistant becomes "impersonal", its time to say goodbye. The M505 I carry now is a sad joke compared to a PocketPC, in terms of features. But it is one of the most practical PDAs I have ever possessed. Slim, sleek, and portable. It slips into my pants pocket, and I barely notice it's there at all.
    I totally agree. I spend everyday with my m505 in my side pocket of any type of pants with out noticing. It's like my second wallet. infact, my wallet is BIGGER than my m505. I don't notice it even though I sit, walk, drive, etc. with it beside me all the time. and when i need to, i will pull it out and use it. PDA's are all about convienence.

THe only time I take it out is when I'm in my PJ's... even then, I still carry it around or at least have it within arms reach.

size does matter!
    Nice points made very well- very useful.
    All the points you've all made are from personal experience, all my info is coming off a monitor! I have held a couple of ppcs but never USED them so I lack the real world experiences you have all gained. Foo fighter (they rock) said about size/weight but that wouldn't be an issue for *me*, ive got a VPL in its leather case all day so ppc is'nt much worse than that. But the 2 taps/50 taps thing is an issue. All I can see is the glitz and glamour of media player etc. but nowhere have i seen how you find a phone number! (maybe this shows the absolute problem microsoft have - an inability to go back to basics). So i'll have to play with a couple of these machines.
    What do you think about m$ marketing strategy, they really seem to be trying to steal palmos customers, theyve even got a comparison table of a ppc vs m505 vs prism.
    a point of mine which nobody really picked up on - why is palmos so much more expensive compared to the technology inside? Being simple and easy to use doesn't cost money, does it?
    Alan Millar
    Originally posted by almillar
    a point of mine which nobody really picked up on - why is palmos so much more expensive compared to the technology inside? Being simple and easy to use doesn't cost money, does it?
    LOL! That's an interesting comment...probably so PalmOS machines can compete with PPC machines...

Weird huh?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    but it can still do everything a Palm can do and do it better. Name a feature on the Palm and the PocketPC can outdo it.
    Remote control with internal IR. Checkmate on PPC! Anyways I've used them both and personally perfer color for PPC. However my Visor is much easier to use and the software better suits my needs in addition to the price tag.
    I must be in possession of one hell of a character flaw to keep getting into these asinine arguments. Comments like the following chap my ***.
    Originally posted by thejckal
    Name a feature on the Palm and the PocketPC can outdo it.
    Sync with a mac.
    Go for 4 weeks on 2 AA's or a single charge.
    Comfortably fit in my pocket.
    Retrieve information quickly and intuitively.

And there is still more software - allowing for more personal customization. Isn't that what a pda is all about? Keeping what you need on your person? I don't need word files. I need a self-locking repository for my schedule, class notes, books, games, email, web pages that can go for extended periods away from a charging cradle (attached to my mac) at my fingertips 24-7.

But I'm glad you're happy.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.