Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Today Brighthand posted an article regarding Palm's current woes at:

http://www.brighthand.com/biz/views/palmwoes.html

Do you agree with the author?
    I agree with the article, for the most part. But keep in mind that Brighthand is a predominantly PocketPC site. So don't be surprised if these articles end in a "PocketPC will defeat Palm" conclusion.
    coupled with the overall uncertainty surrounding the recent terrorist attacks.
    Huh? How does a terrorist attack on the WTC affect people's decision to buy or not buy a PDA? Sounds like a weak excuse by Palm.

The problem Palm (and handspring) has is that this is all they do...make Palm OS PDAs. PDAs are becoming more and more a commodity. It's hard to make money selling something everyone else sells.

Companies like Sony and Compaq (or is it HP, now?) have this advantage in that the Handheld part of their company isn't wholly responsible for carrying the stock prices.

Palm needs to diversify a bit or allow itself to be purchased by a more diverse company or forever be faced with a slow decline into obscurity.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Huh? How does a terrorist attack on the WTC affect people's decision to buy or not buy a PDA? Sounds like a weak excuse by Palm.
    When you're not sure whether or not there's going to be a war tomorrow, you don't tend to buy a lot of gadgets. Well most people don't.

Besides, have you seen the stock market lately? People are thinking more about thier 401K and less about thier M505. But this, like all things, shall pass. The economy will rebound and everything will be better. I hope!
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly