Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello All,

My name is Josh and I will be eligible for an upgrade this coming NOV and wanted to know whether or not the Pre was worth the switch.

I know its only been a few days since the official release but I wanted to get some feedback from users to get an overview on the device and how it stacks up against my curve.

Just so you know what I am looking for....

I use Blackberry's e-mail capabilities to the fullest! I have my personal, business, and school e-mail all pushed to my blackberry and love the quickness and reliability. I write long e-mails and a bunch of SMS's so those features would be very important to me.

Secondly, I'm not too worried about how it plays music or streams radio but I do use my Curve's camera often and would love for my next phone to have a strong camera as well.

Also, I use my "Crack" Berry ALL THE TIME. My girlfriend might even be jealous (JK). I want to know how the battery life is because my battery life on the Curve is exceptional in comparison to my past phones (htc touch, palm 800w).

Lastly, I love the Blackberry UI and love how customizable it is. I played with the Pre on release day and know that any new phone will take some getting used to. I love how small and compact the Pre is, but this is also a reason why I love the Curve.

So please feel free to let me know the good, bad, and the ugly... I look forward to your responses!!!
    If you love the Blackberry, you should probably stick with it. Email will not be as fast on the Pre. In fact the only thing substantially better will be the web browser. The Curves sucks, the Pre's is awesome.
    i gave up my curve and i was a blackberry abuser! i had an 8703 (5 of them), 8830 (12 of them) and 5 curves. While i love blackberrys and their email functionality I do not miss them at al. Theres a couple email features i wish i had, but its all **** at this point. RIM has shown ZERO love for their user base, garbage storm release...serious lack of software updates and OVERALL lack of refinement on their OS....thats my opinion!

get a pre, screw the curve! plus....by november the pre should be groovin!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    I would suggest you follow this thread as it covers alot of what you are looking for

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rry-users.html
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman89 View Post
    I use Blackberry's e-mail capabilities to the fullest! I have my personal, business, and school e-mail all pushed to my blackberry
    How are you checking more than 1 email address with a BB? My work phone is a curve and I use a Pre for personal use but when I had my curve, once that thing is on a BES server, it seemed like it was BES or nothing. I still don't know how to have more than one email address on a BB EXCEPT for the gmail/etc which are sooo crappy for the BB that I won't even use them. I love my Pre for the exact opposite....every email account I have all work and work well.

If there is a way to have more than one email address on a BB using a BES server, I would LOVE to know how!
    wait for the next BB. BB is better for emails and will have a better camera than the curve. Palm has a great camera though.
    alundre,
    All BES users still have a BIS account which can resend service books (which may be needed to solve a tech problem but rarely) and also provide access to any 3rd party email. The Sprint branded BIS page is below.
    -https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by terryv94 View Post
    alundre,
    All BES users still have a BIS account which can resend service books (which may be needed to solve a tech problem but rarely) and also provide access to any 3rd party email. The Sprint branded BIS page is below.
    -https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint
    I understand the BIS account...but can I run multiple gmail/yahoo addresses through BIS while also running on a BES? Like I said, maybe I just never put much time into it. Either way, I love the unified inbox of my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    I understand the BIS account...but can I run multiple gmail/yahoo addresses through BIS while also running on a BES? Like I said, maybe I just never put much time into it. Either way, I love the unified inbox of my Pre!
    Yes
    IMHO, if you are a total email hyper-freak, you should stick with the BB.

I love my Pre. It's an amzing piece of technology. I think it's the best multimedia-oriented smart phone out there. But I think the BB is more targeted to your needs, which sound more aligned with the habits of a corporate crackberry fiend, especially if streaming media isn't something you care at all about.

Just my opinion. There are people who came from the Curve who say they'll never go back.
    BIS is weak compared to Pre sync. BIS doesnt have imap IDLE. Deleting items in your yahoo/gmail account dont always force the deletion on the curve.

Coming from a curve, there is little I like about the curve anymore other than the slightly faster opening of email but on the curve the email isnt even formatted correctly with HTML (thats with the latest os update).

I wouldnt go back unless something dreadful happens to the pre in the next 30 days.
    Coming from a long time BB user, wait until November to decide. The pre just launched so something you might use a lot might not be available...yet. I still wouldn't go back to BB. There is not one deal breaker for the Pre for me. It's an amazing phone now, by November it should be smoking. On a side note, I use gmail so synergy is working great for me. The main reason I never made the switch to Palm or iPhone before was email. The point at which I receive and reply to an e-mail can mean I'm working or someone else is working. So I always wanted the fast email possible. Synergy is instant and in some cases faster than my BIS Blackberry. If you are a BES user you may have different results. I don't know. Again this is only for Gmail at this point although Yahoo Synergy seems to be on the horizon. Also the camera on the Pre is the fastest I've ever used - including owned and played with phones. I use the space bar to shoot pictures because it seems faster to me than the touch screen button.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I'm considering returning my Pre for my curve again. The thing did way too much and the VIBRATE and RECEPTION were exceptional.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    BIS is weak compared to Pre sync. BIS doesnt have imap IDLE. Deleting items in your yahoo/gmail account dont always force the deletion on the curve.
    Not entirely true. I believe BIS now supports 2way syncing and push with Gmail.
    I am using both right now. The Curve definitely generally operates faster than the Pre. I love the pre for it's coolness, threaded texts, etc., but it does not do much which my BB can't do. And the keyboard on the BB is way more useful, IMO. Also, the BB fonts for the browser are more readable for me than the Pre browser - the type can be incredibly small and hard to read without doing a ton of pinching, scrolling, etc.
    All IMO.
    I have the Curve 8330, Pre will only get better, I noticed one thing with RIM they keep pushing out new phones but no new OS. And with Pre you have lot of room to grow and it does use push and all the goodies that rim does, if you are looking for security then stick with the Curve cause no one can come close to BB with security. And within few months and few updates Pre will work everything out. I am still a huge CrackBerry Fan
  17.    #17  
    Love the feedback. Seems like i've got a lot to think about over the next couple of months. Thanks for everything!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman89 View Post
    Love the feedback. Seems like i've got a lot to think about over the next couple of months. Thanks for everything!
    Give us another call in say October, when things settle down, and im sure updates have been applied?

Also more 3rd party apps maybe filling in "holes" not filled by palm.

Watch the forums
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    RIM has shown ZERO love for their user base, garbage storm release...serious lack of software updates and OVERALL lack of refinement on their OS....thats my opinion!
    couldn't agree more!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Ok, so i still haven't found out if the Pre has push email or not?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast