Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a good one. It's really not that hard to make a somewhat unbiased comparison. This one fails.
    As well as "comparisson"

Dictionary.com
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    In about six months, we will have a better idea how the ecology *around* the device develops - the question is not "Hardware + OS" it's "hardware + OS + Apps" and it's simply too early to tell so that review is worthless.
    I still like that Palm's beta version of webOS along with its first version hardware is being constantly compared with Apple's flagship product.

This is huge for Palm. Even these biased comparisons are doing Palm a favor.

Apple and its fans, if they want Palm to fail, need simply to ignore Palm.
    WebOS is in it's infancy Iphone is very mature already, WebOS closed the gap and it is far from being a mature platform maybe next year this thread can be bumped and do another comparison it's too early to compare when the Pre hasn't even been out two weeks yet. Iphone and Pre are both phenomenal devices by the way.
    i have an iphone 3g running the 3.0 software as well as the palm pre. Both are amazing devices, but these comparisons are driving me crazy....

Too many emotions, and brand loyalty are getting in the way of honest journalism.

I swear im gonna write my own review....fanboys suck...
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    There are some haters out there! We should be looking at the positive things of both devices and work off those. I feel like this is Idiocracy and everyone is trying to get dumber. We need to work off all [good] qualities and suggestions to improve the market and drive competition.

Good example is AT&T and the iPhone. There really hasn't been a phone until now that matches the iPhone in any way. So, AT&T could charge as much as they wanted for both the device and the service. The Service is sub par at best also. Sprint service (In all the areas I've been in the last year fews) has out performed AT&T hands down.

Darnit! My pre doesnt work any more... It was being sluggish so i sprayed some Brawndo on it to give it some electrolytes...
  8.    #9  
    We all know WebOS is in it's infacy, but excuses don't mean a thing to the average Joe consumer who's just looking for the "best" device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    We all know WebOS is in it's infacy, but excuses don't mean a thing to the average Joe consumer who's just looking for the "best" device.
    I think you are right that the consumer just wants the best product. However, it's good to keep in mind that webos has a lot of potential once it opens up its sdk to developers. Currently, early adopters (like me) are relying on that fact to support such a fledgling product. In some months we will see whether our assumptions were unfounded. Until then we just wait and see.
    That comparison sounds more like the "leaked" AT&T comparison sheet that was allegedly sent to their agents. It was obviously written by an iPhone lover/user/fanboy, whatever you want to call him / her (Kit?). I mean just look how the Background Apps section is worded. Hardly subjective... (..."Can we assume Apple's working on background apps for iPhone firmware 3.1? Until then, Palm wins this one) Come one...

I have both devices, and I do say that there are advantages and disadvantages of both. You can through in the G1 and BlackBerry, because I know people love those devices too.

I am lucky as I don't need to read these biased "articles" as I have the luxury of comparing both physically.
    Perhaps. But the average Joe consumer doesn't read sites like that one, and is going to ignore most of the minutiae in these comparisons. Many average Joes will look at the Pre and say "oooh, hey it has a touchscreen AND a keyboard, it must be better". Which is why, imho, there has been so much bashing of the keyboard from the Apple fan contingent (mixed with some sincere complaints)...in all reality it's the primary threat to the iPhone.

All the talk about the Pre's multitasking or the iPhone 3GS processor upgrade fly right out the window in the non-geek realm.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    the pre has been out for a few days give it a chance... I loved my iphone but att drove me away.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Let people get what they want or make their personal decisions... who the f cares if people don't like your <insert phone here>? Also, no one cares that you are taking back your <insert phone here>.

Everyone is different and has their own priorities in a phone. Each one has their strengths and weaknesses and one persons "deal-breaker" is another persons "who the f cares???". I'm just sick of the bidtch-fest going on with "the Pre doesn't do this or that". Take it back then. You have 30 days. If you don't like it go the f back to the store and exchange it.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Speaking of comparisons. There is a very interesting article (at least to me) that discusses the iPhones 3GS upgraded processor. It appears to be the very same CPU/GPU combo used in the Pre though different packaging (Samsung vs. TI). Things between the two could get very interesting.

It's going to come down to the software...period.

http://anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579&p=1
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Speaking of comparisons. There is a very interesting article (at least to me) that discusses the iPhones 3GS upgraded processor. It appears to be the very same CPU/GPU combo used in the Pre though different packaging (Samsung vs. TI). Things between the two could get very interesting.

It's going to come down to the software...period.

AnandTech: The iPhone 3GS Hardware Exposed & Analyzed
    Not true. There is new word out on the new graphics processing unit on the iPhone 3GS, which is extremely powerful for gaming and state of the art. Read the article below:

AppleInsider | iPhone 3G S to use PowerVR SGX GPU core for OpenGL ES 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Not true. There is new word out on the new graphics processing unit on the iPhone 3GS, which is extremely powerful for gaming and state of the art. Read the article below:

AppleInsider | iPhone 3G S to use PowerVR SGX GPU core for OpenGL ES 2.0
    Question: do people REALLY play games on their iPhones? Isn't the battery life short enough already? Honest question. I just don't see phones becoming legitimate gaming platforms.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Absolutely. I do when killing time and in the car my kids are constantly playing on it. The games are really great on the iPhone 3G. You'd be amazed how many fun games they have, many of them free. It is not only action games, but also word games, puzzles, who wants to be a millionaire, and hundreds more.

Also, battery live is very long playing games. Used it across the country on the plane and back without a charge. The main drain on battery is WIFI. 3G data drain is very low. For example, I used the Internet on 3G repeatedly all day yesterday and for four hours last night and was down to about 50%, and that's with Exchange constantly checking for mail also.
    Last edited by hbg; 06/10/2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: More
  18.    #19  
    I don't have an iPhone, but I definately play games on my 755p. Not many, mind you, but games nonetheless.

Now, if you're refering to multiple-player remote access gaming, well then that's a whole other beast. I'm sure there's some of that going on. But I wouldn't imagine to a great extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Question: do people REALLY play games on their iPhones? Isn't the battery life short enough already? Honest question. I just don't see phones becoming legitimate gaming platforms.
    I play lots of games on my iPhone. Here is a youtube video of a game I purchase this morning. Very fun.

Last edited by mobileman; 06/10/2009 at 12:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast