Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That reviewer hadn't even touched the Pre...what a dork. Like the Pre or not, the so called reviewers should have no excuse for not being able to review an actual Pre at this point.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    So according to Anandtech, it appears my initial instinct was right- the 3GS isn't faster than the Pre, they use the same CPU.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So according to Anandtech, it appears my initial instinct was right- the 3GS isn't faster than the Pre, they use the same CPU.
    might be - it's listed as "600mhz processor"

De verschillen tussen de iPhone 3G en iPhone 3G S - T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Matching feature for feature on the phones is one thing. But when you start dropping carriers into the mix the argument gets out of control.

Since both phones are tied to a carrier I'd like to see a comparison between Sprint & AT&T, not that it hasn't been done before, but upgraded for the new phones.

Also, I'm assuming neither carrier is going to bad-mouth the others flagship phone in the hopes of getting each on their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    might be - it's listed as "600mhz processor"
    Definitely. Like I said, did you read the Anandtech article? Both the Pre and 3GS use a Cortex A8 CPU.

This past weekend Palm introduced its highly anticipated Pre. While Iím still working on my review of the Pre, I can say that itís the closest thing to an iPhone since Apple first unveiled the product two summers ago. In many ways the Pre is lacking in areas that the iPhone has honestly perfected, but in others the Pre easily surpasses Appleís best.

One such area is raw performance. While both the iPhone and iPhone 3G use the same old CPU/GPU, the Pre uses TIís OMAP 3430 processor. The 3430, like the SoC Apple uses, has both a CPU and GPU on the same package. Instead of the ARM11 and the PowerVR MBX-Lite however, the OMAP 3430 uses an ARM Cortex A8 core and a PowerVR SGX GPU. Both are significant improvements over what was in the original iPhone.

Thankfully, Apple fans donít have to be outclassed for long - the newly announced iPhone 3GS uses a comparable CPU/GPU pair.

Although unannounced, the iPhone 3GS uses (again) a Samsung SoC but this time instead of the ARM11 + MBX-Lite combo itís got a Cortex A8 and PowerVR SGX; just like the Pre.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Not true. There is new word out on the new graphics processing unit on the iPhone 3GS, which is extremely powerful for gaming and state of the art. Read the article below:

AppleInsider | iPhone 3G S to use PowerVR SGX GPU core for OpenGL ES 2.0
    No I was right, its the same GPU that's in the Pre.

OMAP™ Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post

OMAPô Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com
    Sorry, the Pre has the 3430.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    To be 100% honest, I backed the Storm for a good 7 months, and now that I have a phone that is being mentioned in the same sentence as the iPhone is feels good, really good. All these comparisons just prove how much of a impact the Pre has made. My basic understanding is this, the 3g S is the same experience that has been out there for the past 2 years, or I can go and get a completely different experience that has never been seen before....hmmm which will I choose?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post

OMAPô Applications Processors - OMAP35x Processors - OMAP3530 - TI.com
    Thanks for clarifying this- I stand corrected!
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Question: do people REALLY play games on their iPhones? Isn't the battery life short enough already? Honest question. I just don't see phones becoming legitimate gaming platforms.
    I don't ( well, didn't). Well, maybe Blackjack and Connect 4. But as far as "3D games" go, I have a gaming PC, PSP, PS3 & XBOX360. I'm covered on the 3d games and don't need them on my phone.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    I don't ( well, didn't). Well, maybe Blackjack and Connect 4. But as far as "3D games" go, I have a gaming PC, PSP, PS3 & XBOX360. I'm covered on the 3d games and don't need them on my phone.
    I see your point. But I'm one of those folks who just don't have the time to sit down a play video games.

I have no XBOX, PSP, PS3 or even Atari or Coleco Vision (for those old enough to remember who started it all!). A smartphone capable of letting me get in a little Space Invaders, Tekken or Need for Speed during my ocassional 10-20 minutes of down-time is a great thing!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12