1.    #1  
    Apple will push the marketing comparing that the Pre is expensive as it only has 8gb memory (conveniently forgetting the rest of phones features) when they offer 16gb for the same price.

These simple numbers will stick in peoples minds.

How peeved off would you be as a Pre owner to find out Palm will be shipping a 16gb version in 3 months?

Would a $100 cheque be enough compensation?

Or would it be bad business decision to ship a 16gb version anytime before christmas?
    No
    Sprint may have to adjust its price eventually but both products are likely to enjoy success independent of each other. Palm of course at lower numbers due to limited supply and US only launch.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    If you want a Pre, you get a Pre. If you want to get an iPhone, you get an iPhone. It is that simple.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I think that it will be in the minds of people who dont know much about electronics. They will think "hmmm, theres this famous new iPhone 3GS with double the storage for the price of a Palm Pre". Some people who dont know about electronics just go with whatever they think is hot. They dont know about WebOS or anything. And the new iPhone 3GS adds features that should have already been there. A video camera, compass, and things like copy and paste via software. Im getting a iPhone 3GS (i have AT&T) but im rooting for the Pre.
    Overseas it may. Unless they spring the GSM version on us at the last minute.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twigg View Post
    im rooting for the Pre.
    Glad to hear it. Even if you aren't a fan of the Pre (I definitely am), no one can say that some good competition in the smart phone market is a good thing for EVERYONE!
    It isn't going to help palm that's for sure but they are the one that decided to include the absolute minimum amount of storage people would find acceptable. I know full and well a 16gb pre will come it is only a matter of time and no I won't be upset. Onlya fool would be the phone market changes far to quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    If you want a Pre, you get a Pre. If you want to get an iPhone, you get an iPhone. It is that simple.
    Except the "fat middle," Palm's intended target, typically won't understand the nuances of multi-tasking and hardware keyboard. They will see "more memory for cheaper" and jump at it.

The "fat, ignorant middle" is where the real bulk sales are remaining. All the tech-savvy folks decided a year or to ago where they were going to land in this debate.
    A year or so ago no one knew anything about the Pre.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    not going to hurt the pre. These are two completely different phones on two completely different networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A year or so ago no one knew anything about the Pre.
    So you bought an iPhone then?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    not going to hurt the pre. These are two completely different phones on two completely different networks.
    Yeah, Right? It's like televisions versus hair dryers. No overlapping markets whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Globally that's not the case though. And that's not the only thing that can hurt the Pre overseas.

Over here, MAYBE not if people are looking at the cost of plans only. But quite a few could jump at the 32GB storage for the same price out the door. One thing Sprint could do is DUMP THE MIR ASAP.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Globally that's not the case though. And that's not the only thing that can hurt the Pre overseas.

Over here, MAYBE not if people are looking at the cost of plans only. But quite a few could jump at the 32GB storage for the same price out the door. One thing Sprint could do is DUMP THE MIR ASAP.
    Agreed. The MIR is lame. If my corporate store didn't guarantee me a Pre on launch day, I would've gone to Best Buy. I still need to send that thing in too >_>
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If they were both on the same carrier then it would be a $100 price difference. As they are not you have to take the monthly carrier costs into account and see over a 12 or 24 month contract which is the better value. If Sprint's tariffs are cheaper per month than AT&T then it could work out that the 8Mb iPhone 3G is the more expensive device.

Also the $99 price is irrelevant outside the US as the pricing structures are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So you bought an iPhone then?
    No, I bought a Centro.
    I doubt the new Iphone will hurt potential Pre sales as they are on different companies the only problem would be the non contract people on the fence looking for a new contract and the new iphone with more storage and speed would look like a more attractive option. Pre will sell pretty good regardless when all the sprint and casual palm users upgrade as far as my previous experiences go ATT reception has always been suspect in alot of places I have been to including not even being able to get reception in my own house and that's another issue in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No, I bought a Centro.
    Exactly - so you chose sides with your Centro.