Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm made the first move with the Pre. Apple struck back with the Iphone 3GS and no matter how the Apple fanboys hype it up - its very disapointing as apart from the digital compass, faster cpu and better battery (both untested), HSDPA+ support (pointless as you will hardly ever get to use these speeds) hardware wise there is little to distinguish it from the first 2 Iphones.

Most of the changes have been in the o/s which existing Iphone users can upgrade to.

Watch this space but Apple in the future will add some sort of hardware which will restrict older phones being able to upgrade to the latest firmware. If the value moves from hardware to software which you can upgrade to at no cost how will Apple continue selling more hardware - no matter what people think or say Apple is a hwardware company. Look at their sales and remove their hardware sales and there goes about 95% of their revenue.

Apple has had 1 year and they have not added much.

Now Palm has an opporunity to really push on with the web/os and hardware package - they could outdo the Iphone. You may think that is preposterous but I bet from what you expected yesterday and what you saw today it's not as preposterous as it sounds.

Apple has given everyone else a chance to really catch up to them. Either Aple is working on something revolutionary and has trasnferred resources to that or we are seeing Apple running out of ideas and going down the Ipod route of minor tweaks.
    this WWDC has no news aboit iPhone, most, if not all stuff were out months ago.

Look back now, the launch date of June the 6th is, IMHO, a wise decision. Palm is not overwhelmed by WWDC, and no reviewers can review a no-news iPhone without mentioning Pre.

There is a $99 iPhone, which tunes out to be biggest news than any "technological" stuff apple can come up with.

$99 is attractive, but probably won't be pay attention to by gadget followers since they always chasing the new, the shiny. It will have good reception in the market, but I just can't imagine that being very successful. Apple will not market it like previously on TV, and its probably a clearance operation. otherwise, within ATT, it will only cannibalize the new iPhone 3GS.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I am sorry but I have to say it (AND I AM A PALM PRE FAN & don't like Apple) but........

are you drinking too much from the Palm coolade?

You forgot to mention faster processor (for slicker gui) and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ an iPhone 3G (with the upgraded addons you claim they can get) for HALF the price of the Pre.

Yes I know the plan from Sprint is good but this move by Apple can only significantly increase their numbers and take away from the Pre. Palm need to drop their prices (see thread on this forume called Palm Pre price war).

<eom>
    I think the only thing that Palm needs to win is to move itself back into selfsufficiency. There's def quite a bit of room for more than one "super smartphone". And as I see it, choices are good.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    What processor/speed does the new iPhone 3GS have? What does the PrPrPr&#$275$; $have$?
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I am sorry but I have to say it (AND I AM A PALM PRE FAN & don't like Apple) but........

are you drinking too much from the Palm coolade?

You forgot to mention faster processor (for slicker gui) and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ an iPhone 3G (with the upgraded addons you claim they can get) for HALF the price of the Pre.

Yes I know the plan from Sprint is good but this move by Apple can only significantly increase their numbers and take away from the Pre. Palm need to drop their prices (see thread on this forume called Palm Pre price war).

<eom>
    You forget that Palm's $99 webOS phone will be the EOS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Gizmodo tested their own site as 38 seconds on the 3GS and claimed it took the Pre 57 seconds. It took my Pre 40 seconds over EVDO, so I don't know what they're talking about. (And it was mostly finished in 20, just waiting for the ads to come up).
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You forget that Palm's $99 webOS phone will be the EOS.
    I haven't forgotten and it is a great move but ...WILL BE...when....after another 3 million iPhones have been sold!

You should consider that perhaps the iPhone 3G is being snapped up at the lower price NOW and when the 3GS comes out in a few weeks the number of 3G phones that will come onto the market will outnumber the new Pre by at least 10 to 1!

Whilst there is lots of room out there for another platform Palm need to get their skates on.

Oh and by the way a quick way of jumping the list is to release a GSM version well before the 3GS comes out LIKE NOW!

Come on Palm I want you to succeed
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Apple has had 1 year and they have not added much.
    Apple has given everyone else a chance to really catch up to them. Either Aple is working on something revolutionary and has trasnferred resources to that or we are seeing Apple running out of ideas and going down the Ipod route of minor tweaks.
    Sorry if this comes off wrong, but it's really sad to see people go this route when defending "their" product. If the Pre 2.0 was the exact same device but improved speed and battery we'd have be doing cartwheels into each other. But if the iPhone does that then they are disappointing.

The reason the iPod only has incremental updates is because there isn't much left to do. It's a sign of a mature platform. The iPhone is already at that point and the Pre actually started off pretty darn close so improvements we'll see will be based more on the little things than anything drastic.

That said, the iPhone 3G already has double the battery life of the Pre and the 3GS adds to it. If you don't want improvements like that then you're nuts.
    Again, I love how Apple releases as upgrade with..........

- faster cpu
    - double the RAM
    - twice the storage
    - faster internet speeds
    - Nike+ support
    - Video Recording
    - Compass
    - Voice Control
    - better battery life

and this is looked at as disappointing. As a new Pre owner I only wish Palm will release disappointing updates like this in the future.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Again, I love how Apple releases am upgrade with..........

- faster cpu
    - double the RAM
    - twice the storage
    - faster internet speeds
    - Nike+ support
    - Video Recording
    - Compass
    - Voice Control

and this is looked at as disappointing. As a new Pre owner I only wish Palm will release disappointing updates like this in the future.
    Amen bro! You forgot to also mention 20% to 30% more battery life.
  12. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    8 GB is looking even smaller than it did before though. 16 or 32 GB is needed in the not too distant future.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Amen bro! You forgot to also mention 20% to 30% more battery life.
    thanks. updated my list.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Agree if we are to rise above the fanboy bias lets call out a good effort when you see one. A revolutionary device comes along very infrequently. From then on its upgrades and as far as the Apple ones go I congratulate them on a job well done. Their App store is full of cr*p but they know how to grab audience and these changes to the 3Gs are worthy of recognition.

I have said it before we need to rise above and the true mark of a great company is how they react...Palm ball in your court I think.

<Clint Eastwood voice>Go on Palm make my day and update the Pre with the video and other updates needed and release a GSM version in Europe NOW<eof Clint Eastwood voice>
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Gizmodo tested their own site as 38 seconds on the 3GS and claimed it took the Pre 57 seconds. It took my Pre 40 seconds over EVDO, so I don't know what they're talking about. (And it was mostly finished in 20, just waiting for the ads to come up).
    That's why these tests are meaningless to me. The Pre took almost a minute for me, but all of the functional parts of Giz were loaded in 25 seconds, and this was with Fandango, Messaging, and Music running in the background.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I had no idea what to expect from Apple, to be honest. Are the changes they made for the iPhone some things I'd like to see for the Pre? Hell yes! Most of us are complaining about battery life. So I'd love to see that fixed. As for the rest? I still like Pre overall more. Just wish the battery was longer.

Oh, and I think once we get some rubber-based cases for the Pre's, then sliding it up and down, etc. won't be so hard. We need some grip! LOL.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    The problem is that the actual upgrades they gave were all expected, and didn't compare to what the rumors were.

Especially the OLED screen, that would've been a huge step forward. This was just a slight evolution... sort of like what everyone used to complain about Palm for doing.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I was actually really looking forward to see a matte finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sorry if this comes off wrong, but it's really sad to see people go this route when defending "their" product. If the Pre 2.0 was the exact same device but improved speed and battery we'd have be doing cartwheels into each other. But if the iPhone does that then they are disappointing.

The reason the iPod only has incremental updates is because there isn't much left to do. It's a sign of a mature platform. The iPhone is already at that point and the Pre actually started off pretty darn close so improvements we'll see will be based more on the little things than anything drastic.

That said, the iPhone 3G already has double the battery life of the Pre and the 3GS adds to it. If you don't want improvements like that then you're nuts.
    I think iPhone is a very mature platform, but the idea that "there isn't much left to do" is pure folly. There's no multitasking aside from core apps, notifications are showstopping, the look and feel can't be configured without jailbreaking, there's only one form factor, and like WebOS, it's not even functionally on par with PIM functionality of the 13-year old POS or the today screen easiness of WM.

There's always something for EVERY OS to do to keep evolving, and just when you think you've seen "the best ever" (e.g. iPhone OSX circa late 2007), something like WebOS comes along with innovations no one else thought of.

There's a very thin line between a "mature" platform, and a static one, and Apple is flirting with crossing over into being static. And no, I wouldn't be "doing cartwheels" if the Pre 2.0 was the a slightly speedier device with better battery life. There are a LOT of other areas for improvement in WebOS, and my personal Pre battery life is pretty good, actually.
    On Twitter At&T and Apple are trending. AT&T is all negative, most feel AT&T are holding Apple back. I saw a post that said the iphone will be on other carriers in about a year, if this is true, then I think Palm has that much time to make an impact with other carriers as well. Alot of underwhelmed apple folx.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast