Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 229
  1.    #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Do you realize that Apple and other companies have to charge for those type of updates ($1.99, $9.99 etc) because of accounting rules set by your government called Sarbanes-Oxley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?
    Please can you explain how accounting rules and pricing policy relate to Apple charging structure and in general to a companies pricing policy.

    Serious what are you on?
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Please can you explain how accounting rules and pricing policy relate to Apple charging structure and in general to a companies pricing policy.

    Serious what are you on?
    You are absolutely right. Let me help you figure this out right away.

    Here ya go! Sorry I didn't do the work for you!
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    You are absolutely right. Let me help you figure this out right away.

    Here ya go! Sorry I didn't do the work for you!
    And when you do Google it, most of the sites (well okay, I didn't look all that closely but at least the top 5) all say that Apple blaming Sarbanes-Oxley was a stretch.
  4. #164  
    NVM
  5. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #165  
    Unrealised revenue has almost nothing to do with SOX and claiming Apple (or anyones) increase in costs for enabling a technology in a device already purchased is about as full of holes as a net!

    Why would enabling Wifi be any different to providing a software upgrade that provided more software features? Examples

    Everytime MS sends out a patch/updates
    Phone makers send out firmware updates
    Smartphone providers allow you to upgrade from one version of Windowze mobile to another on the same phone
    .
    .
    .
    No way SOX has any cost or operational impact other than some reporting
    Those reporting costs will have been incurred as part of the companies general adherence to SOX so as the previous poster stated it's just a stretch to state what has been said regarding Apple
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    You are absolutely right. Let me help you figure this out right away.

    Here ya go! Sorry I didn't do the work for you!
    I know enough about SOX to know that it was a pile of manure excuse to say it relates to Apples prices and anyone who believes that would be mental.
  7.    #167  
    Here goes why its total bull.

    Apple argued that if they gave the update for free it would be unfairly recognizing the revenue early, since they hadn't completely delivered the product.

    In accounting the general idea is recognize revenue as it is earned and expenses when they are incurred. Ie I incurr expenses this month as I bought a part for my PC and I recognise the revenue next month when I sold it.

    Apple is saying when they sold the product they accounted for revenues straight away. Now that they have developed some new software features they have to incurr the costs this month and then charge for the Revenue when the update is sold.

    This begs the question Apple can sell the update for $0.01 to meet the requirements of SOX as they see it.

    But wait on. If Apple is saying that it provides firmware updates after your purchase for free then its saying that the produce they initially sold was not fully complete and thus have recognised revenue early and not apportioned costs over the life of the updates. Ie if they sold the Macs for $999 they should have booked say $990 revenue immediately and then $9 later as they provided the updates and earned the revenue.

    If Apple is saying they have to charge to meet the requirements of SOX then they are equally wrong in booking the full revenue immediately ie recognising revenue early.

    So searchable chomp on that.
  8. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #168  
    We'll see what happens.
  9. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #169  
    Hey you know what !? This is a Palm Pre forum so whilst academically interesting I suspect I am not alone when I say "Not Interested"

    Lets get back to the good stuff by concentrating our discussions on adding value to the Palm community rather than second guessing a company that not many of us care about.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    ...
    If Palm were smart they would drop WM and stick with WebOS and focus solely on improving it and any device with it. In actuallity they only need 2 devices the Pre and the EOS (as long as they can produce it for decent profit).
    You cannot simply compare the business model of one company to another, and say they should be doing the same thing. RIM has multiple models, and does very well with that. Each business has to develop their own model, they cannot simply copy another company.

    I believe Palm willd drop the Palm OS models as soon as they release a Centro level WebOS device (probably soon...). However, I think that as a hardware company, it would be a mistake for them to drop WinMo.

    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Another thing to consider is that Apple also has other revenue streams. they just don't make phones like Palm does.
    Exactly why they can't just develop one device type.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I only wish my Pre could underwhelm with some of the new features announced today.

    I actually like my Pre, but its really been relegated to second place status because of the unbearable battery life
    I, for one, am thrilled that you're having actual batter issues. With all the imagined upcoming reasons for the Pre to be a failure for weeks, you now have an actual complaint instead of an imagined anticipated one. Refreshing.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Ok. Your point being? No one is saying the Pre has to be perfect for everyone and everything. Remember that Sprint document that was leaked a while back? It said, "We can't sell the Pre to the wrong customer." It even says that the treo pro is recommended in situations like yours. So are you complaining that a phone doesn't work the way it wasn't intended to?
    You hit that one right on the head! This was known before the device was released. Folks that are looking to complain about the Pre will continue to complain about it. I suspect that many of those types of folks are upset that their Prius won't go four-wheelin' either...

    There's a term for the folks that hit on a forum to simply complain and generate arguements... what was that term...??? Oh well, not important, just like the complaints in question.
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Less common techniques? Please define what that means. The 10s of millions of corporate exchange users might not agree.
    I suspect your numbers are off, but regardless. Those "10s of millions" should not buy a Pre - or at least they should not buy a Pre and expect to use it on their corporate system. Palm and Sprint have stated this. It's not an "admission" (as if they've done something wrong), it's what they put into the phone.

    It's also worth mentioning that the 1g iPhone did not support EAS either. It sold like hotcakes anyway. There were/are literally millions of users that do not need that function.

    That said, I personally will be happy when they do implement it, either on the Pre or whatever device they (Palm) decide to put it on. It is a good feature.

    Is it a deal-killer for the Pre. Maybe for some, but not for me.
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Wow, you are 100 percent satisfied with your Pre. You are the greatest Palm customer in the world.
    I don't think you get what he (and others on here) are saying.

    It's one thing to complain about things that aren't meeting the expectations set up by Palm and Sprint (battery life is a good example). It's another thing to harp continually on things that they said from the beginning were not going to be implemented.

    Please, give it a rest.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    First of all you need to check your facts. Palm advertised the Pre as being Exchange Activesync compatible. Nowhere did they say that it would be a scaled down incomplete version. I actually had a Palm employee tell me it was a blunder that they would hopefully remedy soon.
    Please, check your facts. You are wrong. Find me the ad that ever said anything about the Pre implementing security features of EAS. EAS is a suite of protocols and apps. Some are implemented in some devices, some are not. It's just that simple.
  16. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #176  
    C'mon guys there are always two points of view and I happen to be sitting on the fence on this one.

    hparsons, it is clear that business use (and explicitly exchange integration) was heavily advertised by Palm. All you have to do is look on their main Pre web page
    Palm Pre Phone - Features, Details, Reviews : Palm USA and here
    Business Solutions : Palm USA

    In fact it was the first item listed on the main pre page and as such is seen as a key message/benefit being pushed by Palm. I am quite badly affected by the lack of functionality and I don't give a hoot what Apple did or didn't do in the past.

    I am only interested in the value Palm can give me with this phone.

    Having said that I am a big boy and have enough experience in this field to know that you shouldn't take what vendors say at face value and that version 1 of anything will need improving. So perhaps mobileman is more optimistic and trusting when he reads that EAS support is a key feature and expects all the features of that function to be there on day 1.

    Wait till Gartner produce their research paper on "Palm Pre in the Enterprise" and you will see that they will echo the EAS security features as being the reason they don't classify it as an Enterprise device. I suspect before then Palm will fix those two issues anyway.

    As they are aiming this for the Enterprise and "busy people" IMHO they will have to.

    Regardless I am going to purchase this phone "with my eyes open" to the current limitations with a hope that the limitations will be lifted.
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    ...
    hparsons, it is clear that business use (and explicitly exchange integration) was heavily advertised by Palm. All you have to do is look on their main Pre web page
    Palm Pre Phone - Features, Details, Reviews : Palm USA and here
    Business Solutions : Palm USA
    ...
    That web page states Exchange email, but that wasn't really my point. The lack if EAS security was discussed at length on here. Mobman is a "regular". He knew the limitation. It's just part of his regular "I don't like the Pre because" song.
  18. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #178  
    It also mentions Calendaring etc but I get your point. However not being able to sync email or anything at all where organisations have the policy for PIN/Remote wipe set is an issue.

    But I will back away here as there is obviously more here than I understand
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I, for one, am thrilled that you're having actual batter issues. With all the imagined upcoming reasons for the Pre to be a failure for weeks, you now have an actual complaint instead of an imagined anticipated one. Refreshing.
    ok.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Please, check your facts. You are wrong. Find me the ad that ever said anything about the Pre implementing security features of EAS. EAS is a suite of protocols and apps. Some are implemented in some devices, some are not. It's just that simple.
    Excuse me, when Palm advertised EAS, I assumed that was what I was getting. Not EAS light.

    For some reason, Windows Mobile, the iPhone, and Symbian phones have no problems implementing this. You are the classic fanboy. Palm can do no wrong in your eye.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions