Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    this is stupid. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade. Current iPhone owners get the huge OS update for free on June 17.
    Except they can't get voice dialing, just like the Gen 1 can't get A2DP or MMS. But I'm sure Apple knows best as they do with all facets of the device.

All they need from you is money.
    this is stupid. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade. Current iPhone owners get the huge OS update for free on June 17.
    He has a point about AT&T milking iPhone customers. Although also I use the term shafting, since they deny features. WTF is up with no MMS until the end of summer? And I'm still unhappy over the Slingbox crap, just on principle alone. Other phones can use the 3G fine, but not iPhone users?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Cardfan, I don't disagree with you on the fees, but the speed increase is actually quite significant not "slight." In most instances cutting load times in half or more. And $499 is the high end version users can upgrade to the 16GB version for $399. It's interesting that you focus on the most expensive prices listed. You should work in marketing or PRPRPR.

I think you may have a twisted view of In app purchases ("fees"). They allow developers to increase the functionality of their apps, and ultimately what will differentiate smartphones from each other is app development. This is obviously the strategy that Apple is pursuing and it's hard to find fault in that. Apple is being very smart in giving developers access to more APIs. Why does Windows maintain such a large user-base? The applications many people own are for Windows. Businesses are invested in programs written for Windows. The more "invested" an iPhone user becomes in the apps they purchase or use with frequency, the less likely they are to "jump ship" unless improvements in hardware are beyond substantial.

I agree that voice recognition is gimmicky and I'd find limited use for it unless I'm driving and want to maintain complete attention on the road. For current iPhone 3G users the decision really becomes do I need/want a snappier phone with video and autofocus camera capabilities (which is pretty slick looking if you check out the videos), better battery life in most instances (which is likely the result of more efficient processing), potentially higher capacity depending on the model of phone they're coming from and moving to, digital compass (which will orient the map application accordingly), and apparently some new fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating which hasn't been promoted yet... anyway it all depends if these things are worth it to a consumer for that cost.... to some it will be to others they will continue on with the model they have. There are also plenty of people who owned the original iPhone and are looking to upgrade, and those that will jump in at the $99 or $149 price points.

I personally would love to see Palm remain competitive and continue to innovate. The Pre is the first phone in my mind that really attempts to add something new to what's out there rather than saying hey we can make a touchscreen phone that plays music and video too.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    499 or 699, that's a big chunk of change for video recording, a slight speed increase, 16 more gb, and voice gimmicks. In addition to an insanely high plan already, add in MMS fees, tethering fees, in-app fees, navigation fees, etc and i think the Pre looks pretty good.

Apple & AT&T look to be zeroing in on milking iphone users..
    I'm not sure the speed increase is minimal(if you meant network speed), I think it's double what it is now. And a faster phone period is always welcome. So is voice command, which is not a gimmick. Although other phones have had it for years and it's just makes the 3GS a more complete phone.

I don't like Apple's full prices either and that's why I always buy aftermarket, BUT the real problem here is AT&T. There were even implications that Apple isn't happy with the slow MMS response from AT&T, when other carriers were right on the ball.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    First of all you need to check your facts. Palm advertised the Pre as being Exchange Activesync compatible.
    who said its not ? it syncs for me

Just kidding man, i know the pain of not being able to sync to exchange.
    But rest assured , give some time, PALM will fix it.

Remember how iPhone lacked copy and paste?
    I know you are going to say that APPLE never advertised copy & paste.

But that's a must have feature for many.

In your case , its half truth , Pre syncs with the basin exchange , not with the one with security policies and remote wipe and such.

The best option for you is another phone ( WinMo or iPhone).
    Barring that one feature ( which is a need not a want) , are you missing any feature that is an absolute NEED ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Except they can't get voice dialing, just like the Gen 1 can't get A2DP or MMS. But I'm sure Apple knows best as they do with all facets of the device.

All they need from you is money.
    You mean a newer model phone has some features last years model does not? This is shocking and disturbing.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

There were even implications that Apple isn't happy with the slow MMS response from AT&T, when other carriers were right on the ball.
    MMS will clog the network and it costs money to upgrade the network.
    Hopefully ATT get more money from the new iPhone customers.
    If I were to predict, I foresee SPRINT having issues with their network coverage after Pre release.
    Here's the problem, tho...all of these speed increases are based on Apple's internal stats. The same Apple that claimed they've improved battery life on this 3GS device...except when you're actually using a 3G network, where the battery life identical to the iPhone 3G!

There's no real comparison of the hardware to be done until this hits real world conditions just like Pre has.
    You mean a newer model phone has some features last years model does not? This is shocking and disturbing.
    It's software, skippy. The iPhone 3G has enough juice to run Safari, iTunes, Shazam, and 3D games...but can't run voice control, a function which has been available on dumbphones with a fraction of the hardware and software power of the iPhone for years?

Moby, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's software, skippy. The iPhone 3G has enough juice to run Safari, iTunes, Shazam, and 3D games...but can't run voice control, a function which has been available on dumbphones with a fraction of the hardware and software power of the iPhone for years?

Moby, please.
    I have to agree entirely on this. I'm sure the likely response will be no Pre on the market has voice control, but that doesn't change how iPhone 3G users are getting shafted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I have to agree entirely on this. I'm sure the likely response will be no Pre on the market has voice control, but that doesn't change how iPhone 3G users are getting shafted.
    How bout the faster cpu, more ram, double the storage, bettery battery life, better camera, video recording and editing. I think its a pretty good upgrade to go along with the great software upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    MMS will clog the network and it costs money to upgrade the network.
    Hopefully ATT get more money from the new iPhone customers.
    If I were to predict, I foresee SPRINT having issues with their network coverage after Pre release.
    Overseas carriers will be ready for MMS. AT&T is just lame. I've sent and received MMS on other phones, it arrived right away.

How bout the faster cpu, more ram, double the storage, bettery battery life, better camera, video recording and editing. I think its a pretty good upgrade to go along with the great software upgrade.
    I think they mean the iPhone 3G(3G-1 if you will) users are getting shafted by being denied simple features that a software update could take care of. I'm betting there will be a jailbreak voice command app.

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    First of all you need to check your facts. Palm advertised the Pre as being Exchange Activesync compatible. Nowhere did they say that it would be a scaled down incomplete version. I actually had a Palm employee tell me it was a blunder that they would hopefully remedy soon.
    Excellent. It is good news to hear that Palm is going to speedily resolve your issue.
    Yeah, but that's no reason to not give the voice control to the 3G users.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Excellent. It is good news to hear that Palm is going to speedily resolve your issue.
    I guess you didnt see the part where he said "HOPEFULLY".
    Is this your big complaint? Current iPhone users not getting voice control.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I guess you didnt see the part where he said "HOPEFULLY".
    Well, if these security policies and PINS are as common as you say they are, then I would imagine Palm is under pressure to get it working quickly.
    Is this your big complaint? Current iPhone users not getting voice control.
    I don't have any "big complaints." I couldn't care less what Apple does, and I personally don't even have any need for voice control anyway. My point was, that they're arbitrarily deciding not to give the current iPhone a software feature that the phone has more than enough power to use.

Apple could easily include that in the current model, but instead they decided to save a software feature for the higher-end model, which is completely the opposite of past policy. Say what you will about no A2DP in the 3.0 update for the first iPhone, for example, but there were hardware reasons for needing the 3G in order to do it. This is the first time that Apple has chosen to not include something in the old model.
    There's an app for that.

vlingo
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast