Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Pulled off a great browser and multitasking.

And check your settings on Microsoft exchange, my pre works like charm with exchange.
    My settings are fine. Palm has already admitted it wont do what I need it to do. Maybe in the next (going to be huge) update.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Ok. Your point being? No one is saying the Pre has to be perfect for everyone and everything. Remember that Sprint document that was leaked a while back? It said, "We can't sell the Pre to the wrong customer." It even says that the treo pro is recommended in situations like yours. So are you complaining that a phone doesn't work the way it wasn't intended to?
    Strange. I spent two hours last friday in a Palm hosted gathering entitled "Pre in the Enterprise". Please don't assume Palm does not have enterprise plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I could only imagine what the video experience would be like with the Pre's current awesome battery (and limited storage space).
    Storage space? Dude, I recorded lots of video on my Instinct S30 with the built in ONE GB card. Not EIGHT GB. How much space do you think VGA (webcam quality) video from a cellphone takes up?

But as long as we're talking about the battery, you fell for the Apple razzle/dazzle there too.

From Apple.com:

Apple iPhone 3GS

Talk time:
    Up to 12 hours on 2G
    Up to 5 hours on 3G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi

Ok...so far so good.

Apple iPhone 3G

Talk time:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 5 hours on 3G
    Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi

Wait...WHAT? If you use your iPhone 3GS on AT&T's 3G network, it has THE EXACT SAME RATING in terms of talk time, internet usage, and standby time. It's not even rated one hour higher. So this new high-falutin' battery (tested by no one in the real world yet, mind you) only provides benefits if you're on 2G or Wi-Fi....where you can't get the "S" part of the 3GS.

So totally worth the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    My point is that it's the same class of device, but with a different focus. Loopt, Shazam, and apps related to the GPS or microphone (besides the phone functionality) aren't definitive markers of "the iPhone experience". The OS and core apps - which run on the iPod Touch just dandy - are.

If a compass, video recording (which WILL be added soon to the Pre just as the alarm clock was), and a faster processor make you think you're getting a different "class" of iPhone, then Apple's marketing team has succeeded in the extreme.
    My comment on a different class has more to do with how ridiculous it is comparing an ipod touch to an iphone 3gs (there's alot more separating these two then you're seemingly willing to admit and no, they are not in the same class of device). These things have nothing to do with marketing, but you could do yourself a favor by doing some more research.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Ok. You"We can't sell the Pre to the wrong customer."
    that was spot on.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    My settings are fine. Palm has already admitted it wont do what I need it to do. Maybe in the next (going to be huge) update.
    I am not sure what special thing you have that I and other half a dozen exchange users that I know , but we are cool with exchange sync.

Just curious , do you need to VPN prior to sync ?
    Quote Originally Posted by imasu49 View Post
    My comment on a different class has more to do with how ridiculous it is comparing an ipod touch to an iphone 3gs (there's alot more separating these two then you're seemingly willing to admit and no, they are not in the same class of device). These things have nothing to do with marketing, but you could do yourself a favor by doing some more research.
    Or you could actually say something specific that puts them in a different class? That could work too.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    say what? Just because that scenario worked out in your head, doesn't mean we understand.
    its not a scenario, it happened to me ,
    I was posting to treocentral, and got a call in the middle.

iPhone would have wasted my 5 minutes retyping the whole thing.

Also,
    Someone asked me address for a thai restaurant,
    I was able to look it up in google maps in one card switch to email card and type it there.

I am glad I have a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscott View Post
    Everyone has a different story on what works for them…..

A phone that uses the internet constantly to update is useless without connectivity. AT&T has lousy reception in my house. My neighbors with iPhones have to stand outside in the parking lot to talk on their phone. AT&T has been like that forever in this area of West Hollywood.

The iPhone requires iTunes. iTunes is the biggest piece of bloatware I have ever used. Every version revision has been a horrible installation procedure. Syncing an iPod on a Windows PC is very frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I have moved the dock from usb port to port. Still not be able to update my podcasts. I gave up. Zune just works.

Based on this alone, you would think Apple would want their flagship products to just work with Windows. The Genius Bar will feed you BS that it's a Windows thing. Why then say the products work with Windows, when they don't.

Ironically the image we see with ad's is not quite the same as the user experience. Check out the Apple forums, many people are having nightmares with Apple products.

Apple sales figures are not as accurate as most people think they are. They have probably sold at least 2 iPods and now 2 iPhones to every customer.

Apple in the past will not give you something that should clearly be a software update, instead they want you to buy a new iPod. Apple is doing the same as GM with planned obsolescence. Remember when they added search to a new model? Guess what you can’t update your iPod, you have to buy a new one. Are you seeing a pattern yet. Apple is just harvesting their base and milking them.

I purchased a Macbook for testing clients websites on Safari and Firefox. To my suprise Apple charged me $1.99 for a driver to make 802.11n work. I just spent $1,500.00 and the hardaware was inside the computer and you want to charge me $1.99 to make something work that I already paid for. LAME!

I have always been curious how many iPhone users will honestly tell you what they think of the phone. Do they say they love it, but really hate it because they have to stand outside to use the phone? Or do they really get good reception and the phone just works.

Either way AT&T is the weakest link and Apple with the snake oil sales department just does not work for me.

No matter what the technology is, it should just work. And AT&T in Los Angeles is a joke.

This is Sprint and Verizon territory.

The Palm Pre is very well thought out for a first generation phone and works just as you expect it to. I’ll take this phone any day over a iPhone, Blackberry or Instinct.

You see it’s not the same for everyone. Everyone has different experiences and needs. No one carrier and phone will suit everyone.
    Do you realize that Apple and other companies have to charge for those type of updates ($1.99, $9.99 etc) because of accounting rules set by your government called Sarbanes-Oxley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?

Oh, and every iPhone user i have spoken to has said they LOVED their iphone. The worse response I got was "wish the ATT coverage was stronger, but I would never go back to X cell phone"
    I am not sure what special thing you have that I and other half a dozen exchange users that I know , but we are cool with exchange sync.

Just curious , do you need to VPN prior to sync ?
    no. I need Exchange to support security policies, pin policies, and standard remote wipe (not wiping from a Palm website). These are things that most corporate Exchange users would need. Palm also admitted to me they recognize this as a major road block to corporate use.
    its not a scenario, it happened to me ,
    I was posting to treocentral, and got a call in the middle.

iPhone would have wasted my 5 minutes retyping the whole thing.

Also,
    Someone asked me address for a thai restaurant,
    I was able to look it up in google maps in one card switch to email card and type it there.

I am glad I have a Pre.

Why did you have to retype the message. I never have to do this on my iPhone. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Oh, and every iPhone user i have spoken to has said they LOVED their iphone. The worse response I got was "wish the ATT coverage was stronger, but I would never go back to X cell phone"
    Do you really think anecdotal evidence means anything?
    I could only imagine what the video experience would be like with the Pre's current awesome battery (and limited storage space).
    I have a nice Nikon camera and a camcorder for recording the things that are important to me. I would not attempt to capture the important memories on any phone. That's just me.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Both iPhone and Pre are powerful in their own way.

Pre is ridiculously easy to jump from one app to other app.

iPhone has powerful apps that run circles around Pre.

Both are elegant devices.

Folks need to calm down .

Its only a phone.

BTW they both make phone calls
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Strange. I spent two hours last friday in a Palm hosted gathering entitled "Pre in the Enterprise". Please don't assume Palm does not have enterprise plans.
    Ok...

So either you bought the phone knowing it wasn't going to support what you need until sometime in the future. In which case, why are you complaining?

or

You didn't know what you were buying. If you knew your exchange setup would require less common techniques or security policies, why would you buy a 1st gen phone? Why not go with something you know would work like Windows Mobile? In which case, why are you complaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    Do you realize that Apple and other companies have to charge for those type of updates ($1.99, $9.99 etc) because of accounting rules set by your government called Sarbanes-Oxley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?
    I've heard that before, but have never been able to find something in it that seems even remotely applicable to Apple having to charge for updates. Admittedly I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, but still.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Why did you have to retype the message. I never have to do this on my iPhone. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I have these pesky friends who call me about directions in spite of having a GPS in their car. I can't get rid of them.
    All I can do is get rid of my phone.
    So I need a Pre.

Good for you that you don't need to do all these things.

Which means iPhone is best for you.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    no. I need Exchange to support security policies, pin policies, and standard remote wipe (not wiping from a Palm website). These are things that most corporate Exchange users would need. Palm also admitted to me they recognize this as a major road block to corporate use.
    okay that explains , I do not have pin or security policy.
    Ok...

So either you bought the phone knowing it wasn't going to support what you need until sometime in the future. In which case, why are you complaining?

or

You didn't know what you were buying. If you knew your exchange setup would require less common techniques or security policies, why would you buy a 1st gen phone? Why not go with something you know would work like Windows Mobile? In which case, why are you complaining?
    Less common techniques? Please define what that means. The 10s of millions of corporate exchange users might not agree.
    Can't imagine paying out of contract for the new iphone. 699? Someone said AT&T "might" offer it for 499 to 3G users.

Are you really going to shell out $699 for video recording? How's Apple going to sell these things? Then on top of it, AT&T will charge 50+ for tethering and additional for MMS. Starts to get insane... Add in all the new in-app nickel and diming and don't forget to factor that Tom Tom monthly bill.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast