Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Pales in comparison. I like my Pre but give me a break.
    -I can actually use my iPhone with my corporate exchange servers and policies. Cant do that with the Pre.
    - I will record videos on my new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can listen to the Mets lose 5 in a row on my awesome mlb app. Cant do that on the Pre
    - I can sync my tasks to my desktop task management program via wifi. Cant do that on the Pre
    - I can download videos, tv shows, and podcasts from the itunes store. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can use voice control to make a call on the new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can make it a complete day on a battery charge on my iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    So then get the iphone. What are you trying to get at? If they iphone suits you better, then get it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but obviously a difference between 30/month vs 90/month is quite a bit more compelling then 70/month vs 80/month (no, i don't need unlimited SMS, just like I don't need unlimited voice). The bundled extras don't really add that much value for me. The bottom line is $10 either way isn't really going to motivate a decision (although $60 could). Obviously not having an iPhone means that set of circumstances doesn't apply to me. There's also the option (just like with any other device/carrier) of not upgrading every year. They've been doing this thing with OS releases that adds value to previous iterations of hardware as well.

Yes, i've tried the ipod touch and previous iphones so that exercise isn't necessary. I don't think that comparing an iPod touch instead of the 3GS iPhone with 3.0 OS is really a valid comparison.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Being anti-iPhone is being anti-technology. I understand hating the attitude, media coverage and especially the fans. But hating the device itself is absurd. Some of us will never buy one, but with a ton of exclusive apps and the way iPhone 3.0 is opening the dock port for various hardware implementations then there definitely will be some things about the iPhone that will make you a bit jealous.

The iPhone gets too much credit for what it does, but they are doing things that benefit ALL future smartphone owners. If it wasn't for Apple (of all people) to shatter the cellphone pricing structure then our Palm Pre's would probably cost us $600 w/contract. Heck, with an iPhone costing $99 (the same amount we're forced to let Sprint "Borrow") then this humiliation may actually be the death of the Phone Rebate Scam.
    -I can actually use my iPhone with my corporate exchange servers and policies. Cant do that with the Pre.
    I have no knowledge of current and upcoming Exchange capabilities on the Pre as it does not pertain to me in the least. Score one for you.

I will record videos on my new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    This is kinda weak, Moby. The feature doesn't exist for either phone yet. But both will definitely have it. No points for you.

- I can listen to the Mets lose 5 in a row on my awesome mlb app. Cant do that on the Pre
    And I can listen to Pandora and actually do something else at the same time on the Pre. You can't. I can also use navigation and do something else at the same time. You can't. Exclusive apps are fun, but a lot more so when they don't take over your phone completely as they run. Subtract two points for you.

- I can sync my tasks to my desktop task management program via wifi. Cant do that on the Pre
    I can. I would just put them in Google Calendar as I always do, and it autosyncs via wifi or 3G EVDO. No points for you.

- I can download videos, tv shows, and podcasts from the itunes store. Cant do that on the Pre.
    No argument here. Two points for you. I've BEEN saying that Palm needs a legitimate way to get name brand video content on the device. I can get all the stuff you talk about above, but I don't want to turn my Pre into a torrent storage unit.

- I can use voice control to make a call on the new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    Not yet, but I only ever used that feature on my Instinct S30 because I didn't have keyboard speed dial. So then:

Making a call on the Pre = sliding it open and holding down my favorite speed dial number (time: 1.5 seconds)

Making an Apple call using voice dialing = make sure you're in a relatively quiet environment, wake up phone, hold down main button for a couple of seconds, speak command, wait for app to process (time: a good bit longer than 1.5 seconds)

Subtract one point.

- I can make it a complete day on a battery charge on my iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    No, YOU can't do that on the Pre. I, and many other people, can just fine.

It pales.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Being anti-iPhone is being anti-technology. I understand hating the attitude, media coverage and especially the fans. But hating the device itself is absurd. Some of u9s will never buy one, but with a ton of exclusive apps and the way iPhone 3.0 is opening the dock port for various hardware implementations then there definitely will be some things about the iPhone that will make you a bit jealous.

The iPhone gets too much credit for what it does, but they are doing things that benefit ALL future smartphone owners. If it wasn't for Apple (of all people) to shatter the cellphone pricing structure then our Palm Pre's would probably cost us $600 w/contract. Heck, with an iPhone costing $99 (the same amount we're forced to let Sprint "Borrow") then this humiliation may actually be the death of the Phone Rebate Scam.
    What did Apple do regards the pricing structure? NOTHING

Where can I get this $99 Iphone? That's it $99 without contract -awesome.

For those who continue blathering on about its $99 well no its not as it comes with a more expensive airtime agreement.

Compare costs over the lifetime of the contract and initial device purchase costs.

This is such a dumb argument it just costs $99. Well when I buy my new car do I look at MPG - yeah I do cos guess what I need to buy petrol and guess what you need an airtime agreement to go with the Iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by imasu49 View Post
    I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but obviously a difference between 30/month vs 90/month is quite a bit more compelling then 70/month vs 80/month (no, i don't need unlimited SMS, just like I don't need unlimited voice). The bundled extras don't really add that much value for me. The bottom line is $10 either way isn't really going to motivate a decision (although $60 could). Obviously not having an iPhone means that set of circumstances doesn't apply to me. There's also the option (just like with any other device/carrier) of not upgrading every year. They've been doing this thing with OS releases that adds value to previous iterations of hardware as well.
    Who doesn't add value to their previous iterations of hardware these days, tho (well aside from WinMo)? Not really much of a differentiator.

Yes, i've tried the ipod touch and previous iphones so that exercise isn't necessary. I don't think that comparing an iPod touch instead of the 3GS iPhone with 3.0 OS is really a valid comparison.
    For $10 or $20 (one of the two), you can throw 3.0 on the iPod Touch and make it a valid comparison. Or you could always throw caution to the wind...I did in buying the Pre on day one. But I love it. If you decide to that for a iPhone 3GS, I hope you feel the same way.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Uh, last I checked the Pre has exchange support. I can sync my email, calendar, contacts, and tasks.
    Being anti-iPhone is being anti-technology. I understand hating the attitude, media coverage and especially the fans. But hating the device itself is absurd. Some of us will never buy one, but with a ton of exclusive apps and the way iPhone 3.0 is opening the dock port for various hardware implementations then there definitely will be some things about the iPhone that will make you a bit jealous.
    I don't get why one can't discuss the flaws of iPhone at length without being "anti-iPhone." I gave the Pre a detailed review here, and I went on for paragraphs about the negatives. I still love the device. And who would "hate" an inanimate object? That's silly.

I was definitely jealous of the Line 6 app they tried (and failed miserably) to demo yesterday. Well, I was until I saw it was limited to Line 6 Variaxes, which are barely even made anymore. Still an awesome idea. Line 6 or Digitech should come up with an iPhone interface that lets anybody turn their iPhone into a multi-effects unit. And then, Palm should copy that ASAP.
    I don't think I should need to go into detail about this, but it's still not the same.
    Right. I forgot about the compass, video recording, and Nike+ support...because those are compelling reasons to buy a smartphone. Yup.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who doesn't add value to their previous iterations of hardware these days, tho (well aside from WinMo)? Not really much of a differentiator.
    I think the key point here is that Apple has definitely established a clear and very positive track record in this regard whereas Palm has yet to establish the quality/frequency of updates.

For $10 or $20 (one of the two), you can throw 3.0 on the iPod Touch and make it a valid comparison. Or you could always throw caution to the wind...I did in buying the Pre on day one. But I love it. If you decide to that for a iPhone 3GS, I hope you feel the same way.
    I don't think I should need to elaborate more on this but it's most definitely not a quality comparison (they're not even in the same class of device).
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    This is such a dumb argument it just costs $99. Well when I buy my new car do I look at MPG - yeah I do cos guess what I need to buy petrol and guess what you need an airtime agreement to go with the Iphone.
    So when you buy a car then you add in the cost of gas based on the lifetime of the vehicle? That's silly and it's all part of this weird anti-iPhone agenda you're riding. Sure, fuel efficiency is a HUGE factor when buying a car but once you get to the point where you're choosing between 24mpg and 28mpg then you start looking at other things like the upfront cost, features and personal preference to make the decision. Whether someone gets an iPhone or Pre, who cares?

I'm really not understanding how people can get so angry over the mere existence of a competing device. Pre, iPhone, G1, Nokia 6100. They aren't supposed to please everyone at once, only the person who is using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    So then get the iphone. What are you trying to get at? If they iphone suits you better, then get it.
    I am getting the iPhone and keeping my Pre.
    There really is room for both the Pre and the iPhone in this world. I do think a $99 iPhone is a gamechanger for a lot of people. I personally won't buy a device without a physical keyboard and am not about to leave Sprint anytime soon (or get a Pre, because I don't want to give up my SERO), but I see why a first-time buyer might be tempted.

Palm's doing okay so far. No insane failure rate, sold out of stock with people waiting for more, and good press. Considering where they were even a year ago, that's not bad.

They just need to leverage all that for a solid marketing campaign.
    I was definitely jealous of the Line 6 app they tried (and failed miserably) to demo yesterday.
    Yeah, somebody got in trouble after the keynote yesterday I'm sure.
    I think the key point here is that Apple has definitely established a clear and very positive track record in this regard whereas Palm has yet to establish the quality/frequency of updates.
    There was a firmware update waiting on day one for the Pre with the much requested alarm clock app and other fixes. (some) iPhone users are getting MMS, copy and paste, and AD2P how many years later?

I don't think I should need to elaborate more on this but it's most definitely not a quality comparison (they're not even in the same class of device).
    So one's a computer and the other is a calculator? Ok. They do the exact same things, but one does it faster or with better picture quality. They look nigh identical, feel nigh identical, and will be running the exact same operating system. But there's no comparison to be made, you see...
    So when you buy a car then you add in the cost of gas based on the lifetime of the vehicle?
    Depends. Am I under contract with that car company for two years?

Sure, fuel efficiency is a HUGE factor when buying a car but once you get to the point where you're choosing between 24mpg and 28mpg then you start looking at other things like the upfront cost, features and personal preference to make the decision.
    Sorry, but at 24 vs 28, unless those other factors are huge, I'm going for the 24mpg. But I'm cheap.

Whether someone gets an iPhone or Pre, who cares?
    Because like everything else, technology gets reduced to a team sport.

I'm really not understanding how people can get so angry over the mere existence of a competing device. Pre, iPhone, G1, Nokia 6100. They aren't supposed to please everyone at once, only the person who is using it.
    Very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    I've had excellent battery life. I never expected a phone of this caliber to make it two days on a single charge but it easily lasts 8am-10pm with 15-20% battery left and I'm using it as a new gadget. It can only get better.

I honestly don't understand why you are still trolling.
    Sorry, but the Pre isn't perfect. The battery life is bad. If telling the truth about the battery is trolling, then I guess Dieter is also a troll.

a direct quote.....
    let's come out and say it: battery life isn't good on the Pre
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    - I will record videos on my new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    Shock and Awe. Mobile Man thinks the iPhone is almighty. I mean, who would've ever imagined that would be the conclusion he'd come to....I mean, other than everyone on this forum the past months.

Yes, the third iteration of the iPhone with years of tweaking can do more things or things a bit better than the Five Day Old Pre.

Congratulations.

You go and sign a two year further contract with AT&T for a higher price then we're paying for Sprint and continue to get the slight tweaks and minor updates that the iPhone will get over the next few years. I'm sure you can probably find yourself a wonderful iPhone fanboy message board too...hell, I think smart phone experts has one don't they?

We'll be happy here with our Pre that while yes, its first generation and yes, this FIVE DAY OLD phone can't quite do everything the iPhone can do, is set up to experience some major growth over the next 2 years of our contract that may very easily match and surpass the iPhone in a great many areas of departments. We'll watch as our phone goes through the first two year massive growth spurt, akin to what the iPhone did, as apps flood in and the OS is tweaked and optimized. And we'll enjoy this forum.

To each their own. I'm not buying the Pre because out of the box it does everything the iPhone can do and better. I'm buying it because the things it does do better than the iPhone currently I like, the floor of entry its coming in on is better than the iPhones entry was, the plans are cheaper, and the potential it has over the next even 6 months is enough to make it a far more attractive and usable smartphone for me than the iPhone is.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Uh, last I checked the Pre has exchange support. I can sync my email, calendar, contacts, and tasks.
    You obviously dont work in a corporate environment that requires password PINs and policies. The PRE cannot do this.
    As I currently have an iPhone and a HTC Magic sitting in my room, I would have to say that the Cupcake, or soon to be Donut, is a better comparison to the Web OS than iPhone. The Cupcake is capable of many things the iPhone could not do before being jailbroken.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast