Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Bluetooth works just fine on generation 1 iPhones. As for multitasking, after seeing what it does to the Pre's battery life, I think Apple was on to something.
    Well considering it can multitask and it's battery life is similar to that of the 1st gen iphone, I would say Palm is on to something. My guess would be is that Palm has spent much of their time making sure the functionality works, now is the time when they can start optimizing the code and make it more efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    There is room for both. Apple disappointed because of no change in form factor, push or multitasking. It was great they added the voice control, video, etc. I could care less about the memory because I won't be having videos or music and my photos won't get near the limit.

Palm needs to get on other networks and get the apps together (internal and 3rd party) and they'll be fine. They won't surpass iPhone and until IT departments decide, neither will surpass RIMM.

did any iPhone owner want a change in form factor? I didnt. After seeing what multitasking does to the Pre's battery I am fine with Apple staying away. I would like better notifications though.

Give me a LED light, a unified inbox, and better notifications and it will be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Well considering it can multitask and it's battery life is similar to that of the 1st gen iphone, I would say Palm is on to something. My guess would be is that Palm has spent much of their time making sure the functionality works, now is the time when they can start optimizing the code and make it more efficient.
    I disagree with battery being on par. The Pre battery is very close to a show stopper.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I disagree with battery being on par. The Pre battery is very close to a show stopper.
    Mobileman, why are you still here? I have been reading your negative post for two days. Take the phone back and look for an iphone forum. This phone isn't perfect and neither is anything Steve Jobs has ever created.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Mobileman, why are you still here? I have been reading your negative post for two days. Take the phone back and look for an iphone forum. This phone isn't perfect and neither is anything Steve Jobs has ever created.
    Why am I here? Why are you here? Why are any of us here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I think Palm needs to just focus on making the Palm Pre successful before releasing a variety of devices. They need to make sure the Pre is a success FIRST as Apple has done for the iPhone.
    Exactly that's the difference and perhaps why apple is so successful. Apple has 2 devices the IPod and IPhone. both devices share practically the same hardware and software except one has a phone radio. Palm on the other hand has WM devices, PalmOS devices, and now they've added the WebOS devices (to replace the PalmOS devices). Of which all the devices come with different hardware and software. Where apple can pretty much focus on improving one device Palm has to focus on improving multiple devices with multiple configurations. This is costly and time consuming. If Palm were smart they would drop WM and stick with WebOS and focus solely on improving it and any device with it. In actuallity they only need 2 devices the Pre and the EOS (as long as they can produce it for decent profit).

Another thing to consider is that Apple also has other revenue streams. they just don't make phones like Palm does.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Now, now....Moby's fun to have around, especially on days like this or the iPhone 3.0 software announcement when Apple just plain underwhelms. Besides, you'll learn to chuckle at his incessant negativity toward the Pre and worship of the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Now, now....Moby's fun to have around, especially on days like this or the iPhone 3.0 software announcement when Apple just plain underwhelms. Besides, you'll learn to chuckle at his incessant negativity toward the Pre and worship of the iPhone.
    I only wish my Pre could underwhelm with some of the new features announced today.

I actually like my Pre, but its really been relegated to second place status because of the unbearable battery life
    I only wish my Pre could underwhelm with some of the new features announced today.

I actually like my Pre, but its really been relegated to second place status because of the unbearable battery life
    Again, you should make sure your firmware is up-to-date, then return it for a new unit. Plenty of people here are getting superior battery life to what you are getting - myself included.

And the "features" announced boil down to more of the same - "faster" internet (on AT&T's network?! Giggle giggle giggle), a faster OS, more RAM, more storage...same experience but more of it. Which is great if you're a fan of the iPhone experience in the first place.

But my problems with it have nothing to do with speed. Or a lack of compass or Nike+ support. Those are fluff, Moby. Sad but true.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Again, I love how Apple releases as upgrade with..........

- faster cpu
    - double the RAM
    - twice the storage
    - faster internet speeds
    - Nike+ support
    - Video Recording
    - Compass
    - Voice Control
    - better battery life

and this is looked at as disappointing. As a new Pre owner I only wish Palm will release disappointing updates like this in the future.
    So they added support for the Nike shoe to stomp the crap out of the iPhone.

Added a compass because EVERYONE wants to know which way they are facing. Also in case you get lost you use the compass to find your way instead of calling for help.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I am sorry but I have to say it (AND I AM A PALM PRE FAN & don't like Apple) but........

are you drinking too much from the Palm coolade?

You forgot to mention faster processor (for slicker gui) and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ an iPhone 3G (with the upgraded addons you claim they can get) for HALF the price of the Pre.

Yes I know the plan from Sprint is good but this move by Apple can only significantly increase their numbers and take away from the Pre. Palm need to drop their prices (see thread on this forume called Palm Pre price war).

<eom>
    learn some basic maths.

The Iphone is not half the price of the Pre - that is an outright misleading statement. Are you saying the off contract price of the Iphone is $350? As the pre is retailing for circa $700 contract free.

You buy the phone with the contract so factor that in.

Sprint - $69.99
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text

AT&T - $30.00 (data) + $39.99 (Voice) + $20.00 (Text) = $89.99
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text

Sprint - $89.99
    900 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text

AT&T - $30.00 (data) + $59.99 (Voice) + $20.00 (Text) = $109.99
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text

Sprint Unlimited $99.99

AT&T Unlimited $149.99
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sorry if this comes off wrong, but it's really sad to see people go this route when defending "their" product. If the Pre 2.0 was the exact same device but improved speed and battery we'd have be doing cartwheels into each other. But if the iPhone does that then they are disappointing.

The reason the iPod only has incremental updates is because there isn't much left to do. It's a sign of a mature platform. The iPhone is already at that point and the Pre actually started off pretty darn close so improvements we'll see will be based more on the little things than anything drastic.

That said, the iPhone 3G already has double the battery life of the Pre and the 3GS adds to it. If you don't want improvements like that then you're nuts.
    What the 3GS is just getting into the territory of Smartphone of 2 years ago and thats seen as an improvement?

I don't own a Pre but I have owned a fair few smartphones. I don't like the Iphone because it is overhyped and delivers less than I expect - way less. The large screen is beneficial but its not critical. Multi tasking is way more important.

Smartphone phones multi task but the Iphone cannot. That's the type of crippled product they deliver.
  13.    #53  
    did any iPhone owner want a change in form factor? I didnt. After seeing what multitasking does to the Pre's battery I am fine with Apple staying away. I would like better notifications though.

Give me a LED light, a unified inbox, and better notifications and it will be perfect.
    I multi task fine on a 2 year old Nokia. It can be done and has been done so to say you don't want it is just accepting the Apple tagline.

The Iphone is not a smartphone it's a digital picture frame.
    Now I've had an iPhone for about a month, an HTC Magic for about 5 days, Treo Pro for about 7 months, and Treo 650 for over a year. I think I might be tarred and feathered for this on an Apple forum, but the iPhone is essentially delivering what my 650 did years ago: Doesn't really crash, no multi-taking, no push-mail (for the most part), decent camera compared to the competitors, good processing speed to open apps, and whatnot. To me, the Android is actually a closer competitor to the Palm because it can multi-task. It shares many of the functions and abilities found on the Pre and in its current 1.5 version (unhacked), is much better than a iPhone 3G not jailbroken. I think Palm will do fine, but Apple is in real danger of being left behind in the dust AGAIN.
  15.    #55  
    I am not a Symbian Shill but as the US has not been exposed to the o/s all of the features that people mention about Winmo, Android having were all in Symbian years back.

Symbian has the longest history with roots in he PSION EPOC software of the 1990's. This was optimised to run on really feeble hardware and optimised for low power hardware with high levels of inegtrity and data security.

So when I see Apple touting its O/s you need to compare it critically against what is available and you quickly discover that Apple repackages old technology and sells it class leading which it is not.

Iphone real innovation was multi touch which is only beneficial if you browse the web a lot on your phone.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I wasn't too impressed with the features when announced, but after watching the guided tour, i'm pretty blown away by their implementation of even simple features such as copy and paste and video editing. Apple has a proven track record of updating early and often which Palm has yet to establish. I think the best thing going for Palm right now is hopefully a relatively short carrier tie in to Sprint.

Before the Pre, I wouldn't have even really considered going with the iPhone because I was on SERO and there was tremendous value in that. By not allowing the continuation of that plan and making it a one way upgrade, the value proposition of comparable plans on both networks is pretty much a toss up for me and now it's hard not to weigh both devices absolutely by their respective feature sets and frequency/quality of the updates. In this respect, I think it's very difficult to bet against the juggernaut that Apple has become. It really bugs me too, because it seems like everyone and their mother has an iPhone, but now i'm seriously pondering making the jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by imasu49 View Post
    By not allowing the continuation of that plan and making it a one way upgrade, the value proposition of comparable plans on both networks is pretty much a toss up for me...
    Wait...huh?

From above:

Sprint - $69.99
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited TV
    Unlimited Navigation
    NFL and NASCAR mobile services
    Once you're Premier, you can fully upgrade every 12 months

AT&T - $30.00 (data) + $39.99 (Voice) + $20.00 (Text) = $89.99
    450 minutes
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited Text
    Extra charge for navigation app and monthly service charges
    AT&T is soaking people who bought the iPhone 3G last year by charging them $399 (16GB) and $499 (32GB) for the 3GS. No Premier benefits there. What happens when you want the iPhone 4GS or whatever it will be called?

That's a tossup?!? At least $240 more...for less? By the end of your contract, you'll have paid for another iPhone due to AT&T prices!

and now it's hard not to weigh both devices absolutely by their respective feature sets and frequency/quality of the updates. In this respect, I think it's very difficult to bet against the juggernaut that Apple has become. It really bugs me too, because it seems like everyone and their mother has an iPhone, but now i'm seriously pondering making the jump.
    Here's the easiest way to try. Buy an iPod Touch from Costco (best and most hassle-free return policy in retail). Use it on a daily basis. It's a great media player, and the OS has some fun apps. But otherwise, it pales in comparison to what you can do with the Pre, IMHO, and the media player and iTunes sync on the Pre erase even those advantages. Now it's just a waiting game for the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    So they added support for the Nike shoe to stomp the crap out of the iPhone.

Added a compass because EVERYONE wants to know which way they are facing. Also in case you get lost you use the compass to find your way instead of calling for help.
    Compass integration into google maps is looks very nice. I would rather have it then not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Here's the easiest way to try. Buy an iPod Touch from Costco (best and most hassle-free return policy in retail). Use it on a daily basis. It's a great media player, and the OS has some fun apps. But otherwise, it pales in comparison to what you can do with the Pre, IMHO, and the media player and iTunes sync on the Pre erase even those advantages. Now it's just a waiting game for the apps.
    Pales in comparison. I like my Pre but give me a break.
    -I can actually use my iPhone with my corporate exchange servers and policies. Cant do that with the Pre.
    - I will record videos on my new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can listen to the Mets lose 5 in a row on my awesome mlb app. Cant do that on the Pre
    - I can sync my tasks to my desktop task management program via wifi. Cant do that on the Pre
    - I can download videos, tv shows, and podcasts from the itunes store. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can use voice control to make a call on the new iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    - I can make it a complete day on a battery charge on my iPhone. Cant do that on the Pre.
    I've had excellent battery life. I never expected a phone of this caliber to make it two days on a single charge but it easily lasts 8am-10pm with 15-20% battery left and I'm using it as a new gadget. It can only get better.

I honestly don't understand why you are still trolling.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast