Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is that the actual upgrades they gave were all expected, and didn't compare to what the rumors were.

Especially the OLED screen, that would've been a huge step forward. This was just a slight evolution... sort of like what everyone used to complain about Palm for doing.
    Apple is also releasing a major OS upgrade that addressed almost every issue current iPhone owners had. Palm never did this with PalmOS.
    Having all those 99$ phones will tax their already strained network, which they are already having problems with.
    I've had my mits on a 3.0 beta iPhone. The Pre does not and will not hold a prayer. Your talking about a deep pocket company called Apple vs. Palm who borrowed $200M just to get this Pre project rolling. I won't mention anymore because its just unfair that Apple knocked the ball out of the park with one device and Palm who owned the market for 20+ years can't compete nowadays.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple is also releasing a major OS upgrade that addressed almost every issue current iPhone owners had. Palm never did this with PalmOS.
    That's...not true.

The millions who bought the first iPhone will never get Bluetooth and MMS fixed by Apple's own words. And owners of both existing models jailbreak their devices to customize the look and to multitask, which Apple has not addressed either.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I've had my mits on a 3.0 beta iPhone. The Pre does not and will not hold a prayer. Your talking about a deep pocket company called Apple vs. Palm who borrowed $200M just to get this Pre project rolling. I won't mention anymore because its just unfair that Apple knocked the ball out of the park with one device and Palm who owned the market for 20+ years can't compete nowadays.
    Dubious math aside, dominance in the cell phone world is transitory. Palm was the King of the mountain at one point. So was Motorola. So was Nokia. No look and feel or form factor is timeless, including that of the iPhone. It will date as all designs do. Then, somebody else will be at the top.
    Palm better act quick and release some more devices across different carriers ASAP... that's the only way it'll be able to gain footing. Now that the iPhone 3G is $99, this will definitely entice a lot of people to switch.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's...not true.

The millions who bought the first iPhone will never get Bluetooth and MMS fixed by Apple's own words. And owners of both existing models jailbreak their devices to customize the look and to multitask, which Apple has not addressed either.
    Bluetooth works just fine on generation 1 iPhones. As for multitasking, after seeing what it does to the Pre's battery life, I think Apple was on to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Palm made the first move with the Pre. Apple struck back with the Iphone 3GS and no matter how the Apple fanboys hype it up - its very disapointing as apart from the digital compass, faster cpu and better battery (both untested), HSDPA+ support (pointless as you will hardly ever get to use these speeds) hardware wise there is little to distinguish it from the first 2 Iphones.

Most of the changes have been in the o/s which existing Iphone users can upgrade to.

Watch this space but Apple in the future will add some sort of hardware which will restrict older phones being able to upgrade to the latest firmware. If the value moves from hardware to software which you can upgrade to at no cost how will Apple continue selling more hardware - no matter what people think or say Apple is a hwardware company. Look at their sales and remove their hardware sales and there goes about 95% of their revenue.

Apple has had 1 year and they have not added much.

Now Palm has an opporunity to really push on with the web/os and hardware package - they could outdo the Iphone. You may think that is preposterous but I bet from what you expected yesterday and what you saw today it's not as preposterous as it sounds.

Apple has given everyone else a chance to really catch up to them. Either Aple is working on something revolutionary and has trasnferred resources to that or we are seeing Apple running out of ideas and going down the Ipod route of minor tweaks.
    I really don't get why the new iPhone is a disapointment? It's been totally upgraded inside with faster guts, better camera, etc. Uh, what else were they supposed to do? A re-design of the hardware is stupid as the current one is doing very well
    Yes, but they're releasing that for the iPhone 3G as well. The upgrade from the 3G to the 3GS is very incremental and is what I was referring to as being Palm-like.
    Bluetooth works just fine on generation 1 iPhones. As for multitasking, after seeing what it does to the Pre's battery life, I think Apple was on to something.
    A2DP works fine on generation 1 iPhones? Really?

And if the battery of the 3GS is so amazing, why can't it handle multitasking? The Pre does it just fine for me with a Centro battery and version 1.0 software.
    Quote Originally Posted by searchable View Post
    I really don't get why the new iPhone is a disapointment? It's been totally upgraded inside with faster guts, better camera, etc. Uh, what else were they supposed to do?
    Add a front-facing camera and video chat?
    Change the 2+-year old screen resolution?
    Add OLED to help vividness and battery life?
    Kill the need for jailbreaking just to do something as simple as change the appearance of your OS?

Just off the top of my head.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Again, I love how Apple releases as upgrade with..........

- faster cpu
    - double the RAM
    - twice the storage
    - faster internet speeds
    - Nike+ support
    - Video Recording
    - Compass
    - Voice Control
    - better battery life

and this is looked at as disappointing. As a new Pre owner I only wish Palm will release disappointing updates like this in the future.
    Here's the thing, the iPhone suffers the same thing as the Pre has.

Remember the "Big, never before talked about on blogs before" announcement and it being iTunes? A TON of Pre fans blew up at that, saying that wasn't anything major even though in reality its a pretty big thing. The reason they reacted that way was the hype and the build.

Same thing for this.

All those things are wonderful...outside of Voice Control, most of them were known and talked about in depth before this even hit. The Pre just launched, with features that the iPhone currently does not touch in some respects (real keyboard, true multitasking) and people were in part hoping/expecting/fearing them to come out with some kind of earth shattering new change that would've made people that were thinking about the Pre go "wait a second" and those with the Pre go "damn, I should've waited".

That didn't really happen.

Most everything announced was stuff we knew about either through rumors or through the 3.0 demonstration.....it was the Apple equivalent of the iTunes announcement. The fear/hope people had for something "big" gave way, which led people saying "huh"?

The reason people are saying its "not a big deal" here on a Pre forum is most likely because the things they announced didn't sway them. I am one of those mythical folks who was inches from buying an iPhone before the CES show, held off and debated back and forth all through the first half of the year, and ended up picking the Pre. In part it was because the Pre compared to the 3G iPhone made me lean to the Pre, and from what I knew from the 3.0 presentation and rumors was that the next iPhone was going to be a rather mild evolution more than anything that'd shake up my thought process. For me, I was fearing WDCC a bit that I'd go "Hell, I should've waited".

So while I understand your frustration the Pre Fanboys did it to their own device too.
    Thing is, there's nothign for Palm to win here. They've already pulled it off. Some are griping but the majority seems downright happy. Palm will be very content being compared with the iphone. What do you think all this talk means for RIM, WM and others who basically aren't even mentioned? Storm2? Noone cares.. TouchPro2? Nope..noone cares.

That all said, i'm still on the fence between iphone 3GS and the Pre. Video would be great for the kiddo and a speedier iphone isn't a bad thing. Especially since the Pre is having reception problems that noone at Sprint seems to have a clue about (i'm dropping calls like i had an iphone or something..might as well have one then?).
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I've always said "The best tool for you is the tool that works best for you."

Some of these fanboys act as though what phone I use actually impacts THEIR life. I think they need to get a life.

I have a Pre because:

It's not any apple product.

It works for what I need to do.

It's small size fits the pockets I have.

It's not any apple product.

It has a replaceable battery.

It's screen isn't glass.

It's not any apple product. Did I already mention that?
    There is room for both. Apple disappointed because of no change in form factor, push or multitasking. It was great they added the voice control, video, etc. I could care less about the memory because I won't be having videos or music and my photos won't get near the limit.

Palm needs to get on other networks and get the apps together (internal and 3rd party) and they'll be fine. They won't surpass iPhone and until IT departments decide, neither will surpass RIMM.
  16. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-SC View Post
    Palm better act quick and release some more devices across different carriers ASAP... that's the only way it'll be able to gain footing. Now that the iPhone 3G is $99, this will definitely entice a lot of people to switch.
    I think Palm needs to just focus on making the Palm Pre successful before releasing a variety of devices. They need to make sure the Pre is a success FIRST as Apple has done for the iPhone.
    When Palm adds a GSM version for worldwide usage, then they will really have a better chance at winning.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Thing is, there's nothign for Palm to win here. They've already pulled it off. Some are griping but the majority seems downright happy. Palm will be very content being compared with the iphone. What do you think all this talk means for RIM, WM and others who basically aren't even mentioned? Storm2? Noone cares.. TouchPro2? Nope..noone cares.

That all said, i'm still on the fence between iphone 3GS and the Pre. Video would be great for the kiddo and a speedier iphone isn't a bad thing. Especially since the Pre is having reception problems that noone at Sprint seems to have a clue about (i'm dropping calls like i had an iphone or something..might as well have one then?).

Exactly what has Palm pulled off?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I won't lie, if the iPhone was on Sprint, I might have gotten it. But that coupled with the lack of a physical keyboard kept me away from it.
    BTW, don't write off the Touch Pro 2 just yet. Nor the Storm 2. RIM and WM are firmly ingrained in the business community. The Pre supposedly won't play nice with IT departments, at least not yet.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast