Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    ......if you don't like what I post I invite you to click the ignore button on my account .......
    Done
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Done
    Ha. I love it. Buh bye.
    Please show me the announcement Palm made before the Pre release that details the lack of EAS policy and pin support. Don't point me to a discussion in the precentral boards. Palm has already admitted their mistake. Its amazing you can't.
    Please, show me the announcement that Apple made detailing their lacking EAS policies. Those announcements don't exist.

Companies don't typically detail the areas in which they lack features. They detail the features they have.

Palm did that. And their details were correct.
    By the way hparsons if you don't like what I post I invite you to click the ignore button on my account or start the hparsons pre boards and ban me.
    Where did I say I don't like what you post? I did ask that you dispense with the name calling. The owners of this board have asked the same thing. You just rudely choose to ignore the request.

I don't want to put you on ignore, though I'm sure you'd like that. It would allow you to have one less person pointing out your falsehoods.

But, I'll say that when you have to start asking people to ignore you, that says a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Please, show me the announcement that Apple made detailing their lacking EAS policies. Those announcements don't exist.

Companies don't typically detail the areas in which they lack features. They detail the features they have.

Palm did that. And their details were correct.

Can you please detail what EAS security policies the iPhone lacks? You keep claiming Palm made it well known their EAS implementation was limited. Where is the proof of this statement?
    Can you please detail what EAS security policies the iPhone lacks? You keep claiming Palm made it well known their EAS implementation was limited. Where is the proof of this statement?
    I gave you the proof. You pooh-poohed it. Palm told the one company that is selling the Pre about those shortfalls.

I didn't specify "security" features (though there probably are some, I don't manage an Exchange 2007 server). However, I can name at least one EAS feature that the iPhone doesn't support - Notes synchronization. This lack doesn't make it "EAS light", it just means it's not supported. WinMo supports this completely.

BTW, you may not be aware of this, but the majority of Exchange Servers are Exchange 2003, not 2007. Exchange 2003 does not have the Pin Lock requirement or the remote wipe, or the inactivity lock. These are all (relatively) new features.

If memory serves me right, EAS wasn't even available on the iPhone for almost a year.

I'll say again. I'll be glad when the features are there on the Pre. That will mean that more devices are able to use the Pre.

However, I'll give a warning as well. I don't believe users wil be able to have two different IT departments take security control of the device. I think the lack of security options is one of the reasons the Pre can connect to multiple EAS servers (BTW, no other device can do that - maybe that would make everything else "EAS light"?) My suspicion is that if Palm "fixes" this, it will either mean a user has to choose between one server or the other (if those features are enabled), or even worse, Palm will have to abandon the support of multiple EAS servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I gave you the proof. You pooh-poohed it. Palm told the one company that is selling the Pre about those shortfalls.

I didn't specify "security" features (though there probably are some, I don't manage an Exchange 2007 server). However, I can name at least one EAS feature that the iPhone doesn't support - Notes synchronization. This lack doesn't make it "EAS light", it just means it's not supported. WinMo supports this completely.

BTW, you may not be aware of this, but the majority of Exchange Servers are Exchange 2003, not 2007. Exchange 2003 does not have the Pin Lock requirement or the remote wipe, or the inactivity lock. These are all (relatively) new features.

If memory serves me right, EAS wasn't even available on the iPhone for almost a year.

I'll say again. I'll be glad when the features are there on the Pre. That will mean that more devices are able to use the Pre.

However, I'll give a warning as well. I don't believe users wil be able to have two different IT departments take security control of the device. I think the lack of security options is one of the reasons the Pre can connect to multiple EAS servers (BTW, no other device can do that - maybe that would make everything else "EAS light"?) My suspicion is that if Palm "fixes" this, it will either mean a user has to choose between one server or the other (if those features are enabled), or even worse, Palm will have to abandon the support of multiple EAS servers.
    You need to do your research first buddy. EAS does not support notes sync at all. Not on the iPhone, not on windows mobile, not anywhere.

In addition, remote wipe became available with Exchange Server 2003 SP2.
    Last edited by mobileman; 06/12/2009 at 11:15 PM.
    I can live without Notes sync for now. Here's what set the Pre apart from anything else at the office today - when I realized one could sync MULTIPLE EAS accounts to a Pre. Our CEO's assistant has needed a phone that does both FOREVER -- she wants to track and manage his email, calendar, contacts, as well as her own, without having to co-mingle them. This has meant her having to carry two phones for years -- major pain. Not even Windows Mobile is able to sync multiple exchange accounts.

We did a test and I showed her a Pre syncing both her and her boss's exchange accounts with EAS (not IMAP or POP) - she was ecstatic. I warned her about battery life but she said she didn't care, she wanted her own Pre. We'll see how it goes.
    You need to do your research first buddy. EAS does not support notes sync at all. Not on the iPhone, not on windows mobile, not anywhere.

In addition, remote wipe became available with Exchange Server 2003 SP2.
    I stand corrected (and I'll take your word for it, but I still don't see the option on my Exchange 2003 server, SBS, and it's patched), and I meant tasks, not notes (it was a trick point, since the iPhone doesn't include a task list).

But my point remains. It's not "EAS light" just because they don't have all of the functions.

Are you going to tell me that the iPhone incorporates every feature of EAS? Are you going to tell me that Apple takes out ads to advertise those that are featured?
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/13/2009 at 12:22 AM.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112