Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My feelings about the PRE after 7 days of use........

- since Exchange is useless right now for me (and other corporate users) I would have to say at the moment my iPhone is the better email device.
    <snip>
    Speak for yourself as far as "other corporate users" go - just about all the EAS complaints I've read so far are from people that have improperly configured Exchange server or IIS, or don't have a public SSL cert, or have improper firewall settings, or they're mad that their I.T. isn't making the changes required for proper ActiveSync and they want band-aid fixes on the Pre to get around the problem (field for nonstandard SSL port, no SSL, etc).

I brought my Pre home, pointed it at our corporate Exchange 2007 server, and the sync was done in like 15 seconds. And not for nothing but do you remember how long Apple took to get Exchange sync right? Like a year if I recall. Not that its an excuse for Palm but EAS is working flawlessly for me, and that's based on our Exchange, SSL cert and firewall set up using best practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    Speak for yourself as far as "other corporate users" go - just about all the EAS complaints I've read so far are from people that have improperly configured Exchange server or IIS, or don't have a public SSL cert, or have improper firewall settings, or they're mad that their I.T. isn't making the changes required for proper ActiveSync and they want band-aid fixes on the Pre to get around the problem (field for nonstandard SSL port, no SSL, etc).

I brought my Pre home, pointed it at our corporate Exchange 2007 server, and the sync was done in like 15 seconds. And not for nothing but do you remember how long Apple took to get Exchange sync right? Like a year if I recall. Not that its an excuse for Palm but EAS is working flawlessly for me, and that's based on our Exchange, SSL cert and firewall set up using best practices.
    sigh. Dont people here read any other posts first? How bout this story right on the front page of Precentral.............

http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    You are so wrong its crazy. Its you that needs to get your facts straight. My iPhone syncs just fine with my corporate EAS with all security and pin policies. Do you research this stuff, or just make it up as you go along?
    mobileman, there is no making up anything here see two examples below

So your iPhone syncs and records acceptabces so you can see them in meetings can it ? NO it can't

So your iPhone can receive all content types as valid attachments (e.g. WMA files) ? NO it can't

There is a pile of things that don't work on Activesync on the iPhone.
    Perhaps you need to see the full feature set under windoze mobile before you believe activesync works

Also there is no need to get personal "Do you research this stuff, or just make it up as you go along?" we are just answering your questions.

If you took offence at anything I wrote then you should re-read because all I stated was you need to check your facts whereas you are getting personal.
    But no salespeople saw that memo. My goodness you are really really reaching. I guess Palm is announcing missing features to only those in the precentral web forums then. Weak argument.
    Says who? It was done by Sprint's corporate office. Does't really matter, my point is YOU had the information. It was right here, on the front page of this website. You aimply ignored it. That word has the same rrot as "ignorance" for a reason.

The pre does what Palm siad it would do - it syncs email, calnder, and contacts. I'll be glad if/whan it does more, but it does what they advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    mobileman, there is no making up anything here see two examples below

So your iPhone syncs and records acceptabces so you can see them in meetings can it ? NO it can't

So your iPhone can receive all content types as valid attachments (e.g. WMA files) ? NO it can't

Perhaps you need to see the full feature set under windoze mobile before you believe activesync works

Also there is no need to get personal "Do you research this stuff, or just make it up as you go along?" we are just answering your questions.

If you took offence at anything I wrote then you should re-read because all I stated was you need to check your facts whereas you are getting personal.
    ofcourse this has nothing to do with what we are talking about. First of all, I get my cisco unity voicemail just fine on my iPhone. And currently I cant make meeting invites from my iPhone (fixed in 3.0 OS). But, while nice features to have, I can still function with out them. I can still read and respond to my email.

Nowhere comparable to leaving out basic security features that make the Pre a non-starter in many corporate environments. Palm knows this, and has admitted it.
    I think you just nailed it. I don't think he knows the feature set of EAS, and is using what the iPhone does as the baseline.

The Pre does exactly what Palm said it would do with Exchange
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    It has everythging to do with the topic.

We are talking about the lack of capabilities in the Palm implementation of EAS

These were just two examples. We receive Exchange voicemail attachments (wma attachments) on the iPhone as a bitmap image !

Nearly everyone I have seen post comments about the lack of EAS connectivity has nothing to do with Palm but has to do with the specific configuration.

I think we both agree that there are improvements that can be made and that many users can connect just fine.

If you are unhappy with the Palm do you intend to give it back?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Says who? It was done by Sprint's corporate office. Does't really matter, my point is YOU had the information. It was right here, on the front page of this website. You aimply ignored it. That word has the same rrot as "ignorance" for a reason.

The pre does what Palm siad it would do - it syncs email, calnder, and contacts. I'll be glad if/whan it does more, but it does what they advertised.
    show me where in that document in mentions the lack of EAS pin and other security policies please.

As for the Pre not be intended to be used as a corporate phone, I guess Palm missed that memo too (maybe they weren't reading the forums here). I spent a few hours last friday in a Palm hosted seminar for the "Pre in the Enterprise". Palm very much wants and expects the Pre to be used in the corporate world.
    It has everythging to do with the topic.

We are talking about the lack of capabilities in the Palm implementation of EAS

These were just two examples. We receive Exchange voicemail attachments (wma attachments) on the iPhone as a bitmap image !

Nearly everyone I have seen post comments about the lack of EAS connectivity has nothing to do with Palm but has to do with the specific configuration.

I think we both agree that there are improvements that can be made and that many users can connect just fine.

If you are unhappy with the Palm do you intend to give it back?
    I receive my unity voicemail just fine on my iPhone. Sounds great too. As for your comment that it has nothing to do with Palm, well I guess Palm disagrees with you on that one..............http://www.precentral.net/palm-knows...within-60-days

The name of Dieters articles says it all...."Palm knows EAS support is lacking"
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Yes it is lacking we both agree.

As I said improvements can be made. But they are so that more people can connect. It appears to me you are not recognising that large numbers of users connect just fine.

What format of file do you receive Unity voicemail in?

As I came into this thread late why don't you as concisely as possible repeat your issue so there is no missunderstanding
    Yes it is lacking we both agree.

As I said improvements can be made. But they are so that more people can connect. It appears to me you are not recognising that large numbers of users connect just fine.

What format of file do you receive Unity voicemail in?

As I came into this thread late why don't you as concisely as possible repeat your issue so there is no missunderstanding
    If you read Dieters article that I posted, you will fully understand the problems I am having (and I suspect many other corporate users).

My voicemail comes in as .wav attachments.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    If you read Dieters article that I posted, you will fully understand the problems I am having (and I suspect many other corporate users).

My voicemail comes in as .wav attachments.

It appears to me you are being purposefully argumentative
    Is this not an example of you answering a in a way that has nothing to do with the point?

I used the WMA file attachments as an example of the lack of features on the iPhone's implementation of EAS

You called out that Unity Voicemail comes through fine !
    I didn't mention voicemail as that point in time I mentioned WMA files
    I then had to repeat the fact that WMA files (Exchange voicemails) don't come through and you repeated Unity was fine
    It was only when I asked you the format of file that you confirmed Unity Voicemails were coming through in WAV file formats

It is now clear to me that you avoided being open with your responses

I am done with this conversation
    Is this not an example of you answering a in a way that has nothing to do with the point?

I used the WMA file attachments as an example of the lack of features on the iPhone's implementation of EAS

You called out that Unity Voicemail comes through fine !
    I didn't mention voicemail as that point in time I mentioned WMA files
    I then had to repeat the fact that WMA files (Exchange voicemails) don't come through and you repeated Unity was fine
    It was only when I asked you the format of file that you confirmed Unity Voicemails were coming through in WAV file formats

It is now clear to me that you avoided being open with your responses

Calm down buddy.

I dont think WMAs not playing has anything to do with EAS. It has to do with iPhones not recognizing any WMA files. Your an angry man. Relax alittle. It looks like Palm recognizes their major blunder and is working on it.
    Is this not an example of you answering a in a way that has nothing to do with the point?It is now clear to me that you avoided being open with your responses
    You nailed it!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've heard that before, but have never been able to find something in it that seems even remotely applicable to Apple having to charge for updates. Admittedly I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, but still.
    I agree! I have to call bull**** on that one.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    mobileman,
    the statement "PALM Pre works with Microsoft Exchange" is true and false.

It works for me , but not for you , because of the security relation issues or remote wipe ...

So there is half truth in what PALM said.

I feel sorry that its not working for you ,
    but saying PALM lied to you is going little extreme.

If you install pki and some proprietary encoding on exchange , it might not even work on Blackberry .

In summary
    it works and has issues. PALM will fix it probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    mobileman,
    the statement "PALM Pre works with Microsoft Exchange" is true and false.

It works for me , but not for you , because of the security relation issues or remote wipe ...

So there is half truth in what PALM said.

I feel sorry that its not working for you ,
    but saying PALM lied to you is going little extreme.

If you install pki and some proprietary encoding on exchange , it might not even work on Blackberry .

In summary
    it works and has issues. PALM will fix it probably.
    Did I say Palm lied? If I did, I honestly don't remember saying that.
    Did I say Palm lied? If I did, I honestly don't remember saying that.
    Nope, you didn't say that. You said that Palm released "EAS light". There's no such thing. There are different levels of implementation of EAS. As far as I know, WinMo is the only one that is "complete". Every other client that licenses EAS implements various levels of EAS.
    Excuse me, when Palm advertised EAS, I assumed that was what I was getting. Not EAS light.
    Palm's implementation on the Pre does exactly what they said it would do.

I'm glad that they're looking at making it do more. But moaning and groaning about something they didn't do is getting really old. It was known well in advance that the security features wouldn't work. You asked for a reference. It was given to you. That wasn't good enough.

You've really made it clear you want desperately to have things to complain about. Voicing your complaint is one thing. Repeating it over and over, and insisting that somehow Palm has "crippled" EAS because they didn't implement the features you wanted is getting to be a pretty tiresome chorus.

And please, dispense with the name calling.
    Please show me the announcement Palm made before the Pre release that details the lack of EAS policy and pin support. Don't point me to a discussion in the precentral boards. Palm has already admitted their mistake. Its amazing you can't.
    By the way hparsons if you don't like what I post I invite you to click the ignore button on my account or start the hparsons pre boards and ban me.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast