Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did you see the chart they put up today at the Apple comparing appls numbers. It was kind of funny seeing only 18 Palm apps vs 50k for Apple. What they failed to mention is that Palm had more on launch day vs when Apple launched 2 years ago.

Plus we got 25 now and are on our way up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Apple always rdiculously skews their "attacks" on other companies. That is actually one of the main reasons I do not use apple products. Apple does have truly great products but I get blindsided by their unethical marketing. It goes well beyond the standard our product is the best into the... we completely and unwarrentedly bash other products to convince people to by apple products.
    That whole conference was sad to be honest.

The whole Windows dig was unnecessary.

And honestly...i haven't found anyone who uses more than 10 apps on a regular basis on their iPhone. (sans games). I honestly would feel confident in saying 90% of the apps (again excluding games) are throw away one time use apps.
    Last edited by DougB541; 06/08/2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Yeah, 50k after 2 years... And how many are really useful?

Maybe I'm just one of the few who didn't buy a phone to play games and listen to music.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

And honestly...i haven't found anyone who uses more than 10 apps on a regular basis on their iPhone. (sans games). I honestly would feel confident in saying 90% of the apps (again excluding AIM) are throw away one time use apps.
    I always laugh when I see those Mac ads that claim all Windows computers crash all the time. My Win7 machines have yet to crash and my Vista ones only gave me crap once when I didn't properly update my nVidia driver.

The Mac Pro at work with two dual-Xeons crashes on me about once a month. The sad fact of the matter is that computers sometimes crash or freeze. It could be faulty hardware, OS glitch, bad driver, or user error. Their whole campaign seems to be based on either false claims or comparing $2000 machines to POS $500 ones. It's always left a bad taste in my mouth and kept me from using their offerings for the most part.

It's a shame because they make some good computers but not enough to justify the markup in my opinion. A tiny bit of user effort removes 95% of all computer issues no matter your OS platform.
    Hey, let's be fair -

Apple has earned the right to puff out their chest a little. After all, they pretty much reinvented the mobile experience two years ago.

The 3Gs is a great follow up to a great phone. Sure, not everyone got what was on their Christmas list, but still - it's a nice upgrade.

Palm has it's own credibility on the line, and I'm sure their marketing team expected a little healthy smack talk from the competition. Only the quality of the product matters to consumers, though. Both are top shelf!

-n8
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

And honestly...i haven't found anyone who uses more than 10 apps on a regular basis on their iPhone. (sans games). I honestly would feel confident in saying 90% of the apps (again excluding AIM) are throw away one time use apps.
    I had 6 on my iPhone that I used consistently. And, the layout of the App Store (at least up to 6 months ago when I dumped AT&T) was ridiculous. You were forced to sift through hundreds of pointless apps (ok, a Fart Machine???), some paid and some free to find one to your liking. Then ridiculous pricing came into play. Pricing is another story in itself. Useless apps priced at $1,000 (one in particular just displayed a gem on your screen). Talk about ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Hey, let's be fair -

Apple has earned the right to puff out their chest a little. After all, they pretty much reinvented the mobile experience two years ago.

-n8
    Theres a big difference between puffing out your chest, and bashing other products. I am completely fine with confidence, I am not fine with cockiness. Imagine if Apple were a confident, yet humble company? They just might rule the world. Instead, they continue to be cult-like.
    There's a difference between puffing out chests and using your competitor as the main focus of your advertising. Apple fans have been beat into submission that it is normal to slam your opponents at whatever cost. I used to love Apple but the whole underdog thing has blown way out of proportion. It's not cute anymore, it's tasteless and annoying.

Anyhow, now iPhone users are crying so enjoy this one Palm folks!

Apple iPhone Users Cry Foul Over AT&T Upgrade Policy -- IPhone -- InformationWeek
    Hey, let's be fair -

The 3Gs is a great follow up to a great phone. Sure, not everyone got what was on their Christmas list, but still - it's a nice upgrade.

Palm has it's own credibility on the line, and I'm sure their marketing team expected a little healthy smack talk from the competition. Only the quality of the product matters to consumers, though. Both are top shelf!

-n8
    Meh...Palm already puffed their App chest back in the day haha:
    Hey, let's be fair -

-n8
    See, that's just it. Every so often a new device or service comes out that advances things a little bit more in the right direction. Apple is one of many who have done just that. My problem is that they always seem to claim to revolutionize something when in reality they just refined things a little more. Touchscreens, installable apps, etc. on a phone were nothing new. Palm, WM and others have been doing it for years. Apple just put it in a nice piece of kit and tied it to their proprietary marketplace. The browser is really the only thing I found to be really revolutionary and even that was based on KDE. Evolution is not the same as revolution.
  12.    #12  
    Its funny when you compared the size between these 2 companies. Its like David vs Goliath.

palm vs apple - Wolfram|Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Apple just put it in a nice piece of kit and tied it to their proprietary marketplace.
    That's exactly it. Someone could have done it before Apple, but they didn't. I have both phones, and their both great.

All is fair in love, war, and consumer electronics.

-n8
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    As someone who dumped their iPhone for the Pre and has no regrets doing so, I just don't get the logic of the people who keep saying that, "yeah, but the iPhone didn't have any apps at launch either!". So what? How is that relevant? Someone in the market for a new phone *today*, doesn't care what was available for that phone 2 years ago, they want to know what's available *today*. And today if you are evaluating your options you have to admit that one phone offers 50,000 apps and the other has less than two dozen. That's just the way it is, there is no reason to try and spin it otherwise.
    lol why did they not put windows mobile in that graph?
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Its funny when you compared the size between these 2 companies. Its like David vs Goliath.

palm vs apple - Wolfram|Alpha
    Makes me kinda want a company to buy out Palm haha.

Its impressive they can get a launch of this magnitude with 1050 employees.
    I chuckled! Apple knows how to make a presentation. The comparison is much more apt when we compare the Pre to the original EDGE iPhone.
    "But the iPhone only had X apps at launch..." is the same argument made by fans of all the other smartphone fans out there. I just came from a Storm and that argument was a favorite err, point, on the blackberry forums. This is not my kid, I don't care what it will be when it grows up. I care about what it can do now. I dumped the iPhone because ATT service bites it and I dumped the Storm because the Storm bites it. I have big hopes for the Pre but you have to face facts--the app catalog is empty right now. That will change. Until then Apple has a very valid point no matter what you think of them as a company. By the way, Palm used some of these same "dirty tricks" when they had the upper hand at various points in their history.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    They should've used WebOS as the label.. otherwise they have to include those tens of thousands of PalmOS apps.
    I kinda agree that it doesn't matter how iPhone started, users probably don't care about ancient history.

Palm needs to roll out SDK sooner than later.

and I hope palm can push out classic for free to users, there are tens thousands of classic apps that can obviously drastically change the situation, it can serve as a temporary solution for users.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast