Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Palm will get there with the apps. So far, they have done everything better than the iPhone. They'll do the app store better too. I am so glad to be rid of my iPhone.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    50k apps wow!!! i really need that fart and baby shaking app, apple should be proud
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    It doesn't matter what happened in the past and Apple have doen a great job elevating the PDA market from the grey days it was stuck in. I don't car what Apple do, its important how Palm responds. That is the true measure of a great company.

Step 1, drop the price of the pre

Apple 3G 8GB $99
    Apple 3GS 16GB $199
    Palm Pre 8GB $199 (after mail in rebate)*
    Apple 3Gs 32GB $299

*What a crock of ***** that is if Best buy can honour the rebate straight away why can't sprint!

Palm came out punching with the Pre, then Apple responded now give them the a real blow Palm and drop the price so it is equal or closer to the 3G. Most users will not see the benefit of the Pre's features if they see it is double the price.
    They are not dropping the price 2 days after it launches.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Nice. Quality over quantity, right?

Actually, I didn't realize there were so many Android apps. So what is the difference in getting apps produced? The popularity of the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Nice. Quality over quantity, right?

Actually, I didn't realize there were so many Android apps. So what is the difference in getting apps produced? The popularity of the iPhone?
    Well, the fact there is no developer kit released for the Pre right now hurts. I can't understand why Palm is sitting on the SDK and only gave it to a few select companies. There is no way anyone can produce applications for the Pre until this comes out. And the longer Palm waits to release it, the worse it is going to be for Pre owners.

What are they waiting for?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtrader View Post
    Well, the fact there is no developer kit released for the Pre right now hurts. I can't understand why Palm is sitting on the SDK and only gave it to a few select companies. There is no way anyone can produce applications for the Pre until this comes out. And the longer Palm waits to release it, the worse it is going to be for Pre owners.

What are they waiting for?
    Oh I think Palm is just being selective. It looks to me like they wanted their first bunch of apps to be relatively strong. I'd be a little disappointed if the fart app was in the catalog at launch

I'm sure Palm has a strategy with what they're doing. Yeah, we as end users are anxious for more apps and we see "more apps sooner" as critical to the Pre's success, but look at it this way-- now they can play Apple's game and wait till the 3gs is out, then start broadcasting about SDKs and number of developers and apps and so forth to bring some focus back over to Palm.

Seriously... 50k? I'll never see even a hundred of those apps, let alone use more than a handful of them.
    I agree with the above poster about most of the apps being fluff. I myself am still deciding whether to keep my iPhone 3G or completely switch to Sprint and the Pre. I only used a handful of apps, checkbook, RSS reader, movie times etc. My first reaction to the app store was to go overboard and buy a lot of apps, but then you start to think about what you really need on a day to day basis. I am sure Palm will slowly but surely increase the number of apps out.
    I'd rather have a slow roll out of apps than a bombardment of crap.
    I mean really, is Palm a threat to apple? I guess Apple is worried...

And seriously, windows mobile not even mentioned? that's gotta hurt.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    I mean really, is Palm a threat to apple? I guess Apple is worried...

And seriously, windows mobile not even mentioned? that's gotta hurt.
    I think Apple is more threaten by the Palm engineering/developing team. =D
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i have not played a game on my centro since i have owned it.
    i have an itouch for that when i travel.
    45,000 of those 50,000 apps are garbage about another thousand are a couple of hundred dollars and the rest are not all that bad.. ok so i exaggerate a little but you get my drift.
    The comparison fails to take into account that Apple has had over 2 years while the Palm Pre has had 2 days.
    Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    As someone who dumped their iPhone for the Pre and has no regrets doing so, I just don't get the logic of the people who keep saying that, "yeah, but the iPhone didn't have any apps at launch either!". So what? How is that relevant? Someone in the market for a new phone *today*, doesn't care what was available for that phone 2 years ago, they want to know what's available *today*. And today if you are evaluating your options you have to admit that one phone offers 50,000 apps and the other has less than two dozen. That's just the way it is, there is no reason to try and spin it otherwise.
    Because it gives some context to the statements. 50,000 apps in 2 years might be discouraging to some. However, 2 dozen apps (and growing daily, so far) in 3 days might be encouraging. It shows that there is likely to be more.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    It's funny they didn't bother to show a bar for the Palm OS... which was 10's of thousands of app.... REAL apps.... not just links to web pages...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12