Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez View Post
    I like the new 3GS... And I know Apple has way more tweaks for the iPhone coming in the future.

The extended battery life is great, and 32GB! Cool
    FANBOY Just kidding .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Yes, a bit lackluster except for the price with storage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, the prices are great (especially for Apple) but I still would never buy an Apple product for myself (again).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Same exact post in two different threads...everyone gets it. BTW, how much does Apple pay you?
    Nope. Just upset and want others to know at least one person's experience. Others may have a different one, but I am not impressed with the Pre at all. I had great hopes.
    I think the appeal of gigs and gigs of storage is wearing thin. Not that it's not nice to have but after you get over the very short term thrill of being able to do MORE of what you always do (same music and movies), then what? The most compelling stuff on mobile devices is all of the social messaging options combined with stuff like Pandora and Hulu. An extra 16GB doesn't help with that, but a fast network, multitasking OS, and easy contact/info does.

At least...that's how I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    here is where the iPhone is underwealming that the Pre never will be - their respective carriers.

Sorry, but Sling on iPhone? And many of the new features announced today? Undoubtedly AT&T will handicap/not enable them.

Sprint? I'd be surprised if they disable Sling when its ready for the Pre.
    That's the whole point of Palm's apps. Sprint can't do jack about disabling certain apps. You install what you want.
    I'm sorta in love with how much storage the 3G S offers for the price but that's about it. I love my Pre except I wish it had a tad more storage for how much I paid for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the appeal of gigs and gigs of storage is wearing thin. Not that it's not nice to have but after you get over the very short term thrill of being able to do MORE of what you always do (same music and movies), then what? The most compelling stuff on mobile devices is all of the social messaging options combined with stuff like Pandora and Hulu. An extra 16GB doesn't help with that, but a fast network, multitasking OS, and easy contact/info does.

At least...that's how I see it.
    An iPhone is primarily an iPod with a phone and great web browser. Of course storage capacity is important. At 32GB we are finally getting to the levels of the old hard drive models. I personally wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPod touch that didn't have at least 32GB. I bought my wife a 32GB Touch last Christmas. Next Christmas I may get her a 32GB iPhone. I would not have bought the 16GB model.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    An iPhone is primarily an iPod with a phone and great web browser. Of course storage capacity is important. At 32GB we are finally getting to the levels of the old hard drive models. I personally wouldn't buy an iPhone or iPod touch that didn't have at least 32GB. I bought my wife a 32GB Touch last Christmas. Next Christmas I may get her a 32GB iPhone. I would not have bought the 16GB model.
    I think the iPod model is hitting the diminishing returns point, personally. I have 60 or so GB of music, and I can only listen to it in small doses these days. It's about as interesting as a ginormous CD collection. I'm much more interested in Pandora, or Last. FM or satellite radio so I can hear something new.
    I had the same problem until i change the default setting. Turn off the gps, bt and wifi, location services, apps that you want to use will request them when needed. Turn the screen brighten level down to between low and default settings. lower email setting to a least one hour checks mine is set to 6 hrs. when you open a email account it auto checks anyway. Last thing is roaming to sprint only, i never use roaming on any phone. bigger batt for centro fits Pre for 39 $ software.palminfocenter.com/productaccessories.asp?id=21923&n=Seidio-1350mAh-OEM-Sized-Extended-Battery
    It's not a zero sum game folks. The Pre doesn't have to suffer for the iPhone Gs to be successfull or vice versa! I personally would like both companies to succeed in the marketplace because it is overall good for consumers. Furthermore I would like small company like Palm slug it out with the big boys and make something of it in the industry. There's just something alluring about a 3rd place languishing wireless carrier like Sprint and an small almost vanquished company like Palm making a triumphant return and getting back into a leadership position in an industry it helped once create...lots of David and Goliath there imo. It almost seems like a reverse of the old Apple ad of IBM as the big bad brother back in the 80's...very ironic...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I think it was underwhelming because until last Saturday the iPhone/iPod OS was the most advanced and modernized OS out there.

On the bit about GPS nav, I've used VZ Navigator, Nokia Maps, Tom Tom, and Garmin...and they're all the same. You get an address/business, and it shows you the way. Actually, Nokia Maps was the worst because it couldn't find common businesses around me.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    There's nothing wrong with what the iPhone did here, they're simply hitting their tweak period and moving out of the growth period. Every major OS has done it.

For example...

POS started simple. It then had a few year "growth" period where applications started flooding in that weren't like anything else out for the device and significant tweaks to the hardware (color screen, more memory, expansion card, etc). It then slowed, hitting the "tweak" phase where there was no major upgrades or changes and most applications were just rehashes of doing something that's already out. It had a small anamoly due to being a PDA OS then smart phones hit so it got a second growth period, but for the most part it followed par for the course. It then hit its ceiling when there wasn't really much farther you could push it where it was old and dated with few bandaids you could slap on it. Thus the creation of a new modern OS to start at a new floor and place a new ceiling.

PocketPC/Windows Mobile went through a similar experience and is basically also at its ceiling, badly needing a new modern OS.

Blackberry is kind of in the middle, verging on that point where its seeing the ceiling (the storms a good example of this, as the blackberry OS wasn't really set up to be a great touch screen OS so they essentially had to tweak and put bandaids on to make it workable).

Android is fully still in the "growth" period while iPOS is starting to get close to the end of its "growth" period and get into the "tweak" period. The big "major" announcement type things aren't likely to come out as often at this point with the iPhone, likely being relatively mild and minor changes or ones that simply are going to only apply to a brand new model.

WebOS is at the "floor", the entry position, and I dare say a higher floor than the iPhone or Android started on in regards to the "Modern" OS's. Its got a good 1 to 3 years of "growth" period awaiting the OS and hardware before it starts getting into that tweak phase where like all other OS's, and then to the stage where it starts to slowly become dated as the manufacturer's throw bandaids and other things onto it to see how many years of life the OS can get.

The iPhone 3GS isn't so much underwhelming because it wasn't a nice upgrade...it was a bit underwhelming because the past launches were conditioning people to expect giant leaps whether than small steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    I think it was underwhelming because until last Saturday the iPhone/iPod OS was the most advanced and modernized OS out there.
    I think you mean modern. However, WebOS is no more modern than the iPhone OS or Android. Its basically Webkit on top of Linux with a really nice task switcher. The iPhone & Android have Webkit as well and the iPhone kernal is more advanced than Linux.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12