Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I find it incredible when doubling the cpu, ram, storage, adding voice recording, voice control, better battery..... is a disappointing announcement. I cant wait for mine.
    you think paying $100 to double the memory is something NOT disappointing???

U know you can get a 16GB memory card for like $15, right?

$100, HA!

Apple fanboys are smart. They like taking that sort of beating and coming back for more. It's a fact. It's what they do.
    Guess you should change your name to Johnathan Hates the Pre.
    bye bye!!!
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Have a good one.
    Peace bro-ham.

I don't understand how the Hardware is better outside of a glass screen. Otherwise its ...plastic and not a slider so its one piece.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    the new iphone 3gs may be 3x faster (compared to older iphones), but it still doesn't multi-tasks. You're basically still limited to using one app at a time, and this doesn't make your work flows more smoothly, and this is one area the Pre still shines no matter how much the new iPhone is faster.

But, unless if you are a gamer, than I'm sure you will have a better gaming experience.
    from Gizmodo........
    Safari on the 3GS is also noticeably faster than the 3G, but also faster than the Pre (which works on the same WebKit browser base
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    The build quality is too cheap and the new iPhone 3GS is just better.

Sorry Palm, you tried, but it wasn't strong enough. Shouldn't have cheaped out on the hardware, and for all the insulting OSX for being so big and chunky and the boasting about the processor, Pre is slow.
    I don't blame you. I am VERY impressed with the Pre but I think build quality, speed, price and some outdated features do make the iPhone very appealing.

I know people don't like to hear it, but the iPhone has matured past all its growing pains and is now a pretty solid device. But the Pre is clearly a 1.0 product and if you aren't an excuse maker then it's pretty easy to see that there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

That said, I'm keeping my Pre. I feel it's far superior to anything else Sprint has but I do feel that the hardware won't outlive our contracts.
    Is also giving functions the Pre does not have.
    Yeah, like cards.. Something as simple as that, iPhone doesn't give you. Got me beat there. I could care less about a 3mp camera, etc. I want integration with functions I use on a daily basis.. vs Camera quality, etc etc.

And just like att's network for 3G, it wasn't able to handle the high demand when 3G launched, giving everyone sub-par data experiences. I see the same happening with 7.2mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I'm not syaing this is universal, but I am very annoyed that the Sprint coverage map says I'm supposed to have great service in both my home and office, and the Pre says it sucks in both places. At least they should be honest about where coverage is lousy so consumers can make the proper choices!

Why publish a map at all if the data on it is wrong?
    Take it up with the FCC - they have a complaint form online. I filled one out with AT&T and after 3 weeks of performing tests with AT&T and reporting to the FCC, AT&T let me out of my contract with no ETF. Selling the iPhone was pretty easy too. Don't let Sprint get away with it.
    I cannot even begin to understand how people can give up on it after two days. I'm planning on pitting this against my iPhone 3G for at least a couple weeks. All of the new features with iPhone 3.0 and the new hardware didn't excite me at all. As a communications / information device, I am really liking the Pre and know that future software updates will make it better.

I'm not saying I am keeping the Pre, but I like what I see. And I didn't like what I saw with the new iPhone / iPhone OS. If the "fluctuating signal" issue can be resolved, it will make staying with the Pre a no-brainer. Two years with AT&T yielded nothing, even after they activated a new tower in my area.

EDIT: I think all the talk on build quality is due to the glass screen on the iphone which makes it *feel* superior. My BB Curve doesn't seem as good as the Pre, nor does my girlfriend's G1. I have the luxury of comparing all 4 devices at the same time. The only difference really is the weight of the glass on the iphone.
    Last edited by Enlil242; 06/08/2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added text
    Loading Gizmodo, which has tons of images and a good deal of Javascript, the 3GS came in at 38 seconds, followed by the Pre at 57 seconds and the 3G at 59 seconds
    I'm not sure where Gizmodo's numbers are coming from, because on my Pre running off EVDO, their page loads up almost finished (except for the ads) in 20 seconds and finishes in 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That said, I'm keeping my Pre. I feel it's far superior to anything else Sprint has but I do feel that the hardware won't outlive our contracts.
    or even software... you'll have to see if they offer new features or just fix bugs and save for another phone.

that's one thing i can say about the iphone... i have definitely got my moneys worth because they brung the 1st gen phones along for all the changes they could until hardware is limiting it now. it's really kept the phone fun and dated to a degree. and it can still hold it's own with 3.0 software too... but i like that new camera and other stuff. and now they have new hardware for some new stuff in there 4.0 and beyond. if they can do multitask then they will do it... just the waiting thats hard because they have standards... like the one year delay on the push.
    A lot of people don't have patience.

Come 6 months from now, the Pre is going to be hands down the best smartphone on the market. The first-gen iphone wasn't nearly as good as the pre is now on its first release...have some faith huh, OP?
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post
    the new iphone 3gs may be 3x faster (compared to older iphones), but it still doesn't multi-tasks. You're basically still limited to using one app at a time, and this doesn't make your work flows more smoothly, and this is one area the Pre still shines no matter how much the new iPhone is faster.

But, unless if you are a gamer, than I'm sure you will have a better gaming experience.
    That's what I don't get. Outside of games, was anyone ASKING for more app speed? What, the new iPhone opens the Fandango app in 3.5 seconds now instead of 5.5 or something? Meh.

The homerun ball for Apple was multitasking, and they struck out. It looks like a solid phone no doubt (why wouldn't it be, it's a souped up iPhone 3G), but it clearly isn't the Pre-stomping response their evangelists were praying for.

It's as if Toyota came out with a new Camry, and Honda answered by sticking a spoiler and a hoodscoop on their old Accord.
    Last edited by northside; 06/08/2009 at 04:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    enjoy the iphone and your super-large e-******. it's your opinion and one less poster here cluttering the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Jonathan has 469 posts...and is hardly a "troll." He is also entitled to his opinion. Everyone has that right here, and that certainly includes someone who has been here as long as he has. Can you refute some of his claims? Sure...so can I...just as can support some of them. I click an app and see nothing happen for 2 or 3 seconds at times. I don't see that on my iTouch. Does that mean the Pre is always slower, no...but there are issues. It is not perfect.

In general, I've got to say that folks who expect perfection are always going to be disappointed and that rabid Palm apologists don't do much to advance the overall discussion either.
    I like my Pre and my iTouch. Is something wrong with my iTouch? I have load times on many of the games I play. Surfing the net on my ipod with a high speed wireless network is slower than on my Pre through Sprints network. (At least where I live)
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Funny cause I just had a test with someone in my office, and my Pre loaded around 30-40% faster than his iPhone in every instance. And that was on 3G AND Wifi!
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    Still no mention of multi-tasking on the phone, all that upgrade gone to waist...
    Very true. After seeing how the pre multi-tasks I can't imagine a phone not being able to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    No multitasking - no interest.....period.

Seriously, to me more speed does nothing if I can't work in multiple programs at one time.
    The iPhone DOES multi-task for the Apple apps, just not for every app. Given the battery life the iPhone gets (and the new one), the Pre has some work to do on its battery life.

I find it incredible when doubling the cpu, ram, storage, adding voice recording, voice control, better battery.....is a
    disappointing announcement. I cant wait for mine.
    Agreed. Not sure why everyone is yelling across the internet about the iPhone. It's all new guts basically compared to the 3g. I never thought they would re-engineer the outside, the form factor works and is now part of public consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post

One more time: The iPhone DOES multi-task for the Apple apps, just not for every app. Given the battery life the iPhone gets (and the new one), the Pre has some work to do on its battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I don't blame you. I am VERY impressed with the Pre but I think build quality, speed, price and some outdated features do make the iPhone very appealing.

I know people don't like to hear it, but the iPhone has matured past all its growing pains and is now a pretty solid device. But the Pre is clearly a 1.0 product and if you aren't an excuse maker then it's pretty easy to see that there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

I think you're right. I just don't think I can wait 6 months for the fixes. Also, gotta wonder how long Palm can keep out of bankruptcy?

Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    A lot of people don't have patience.

Come 6 months from now, the Pre is going to be hands down the best smartphone on the market. The first-gen iphone wasn't nearly as good as the pre is now on its first release...have some faith huh, OP?
    Hmm, that's a HUGE claim. There are many phones (Palm OS, Windows Mobile) that are VERY mature with huge feature sets to which the Pre is competing. Maybe within 2 years, but 6 months? hmmm outlook doubtful
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast