Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Compare it to the palm stock at the same time, the analysts clearly expect this to hit pre sales and palm prospects.
    Actually, Palm stock went down prior to announcement and is now on it's way back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by urutora View Post
    I like my Palm Pre and all, but the new pricing just made me feel like I overpaid for the Pre.

Also, I don't think this thread belongs in the Palm Pre forum.
    Wait til you pay your monthly bill. Don't be a sucker for prices without considering what the plans cost..
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I understand what you mean. Iphone/apple fanboys will continue to by iphones no matter what comes out, but Palm already knew they weren't gonna take those customers. They're going to take all the open minded people that don't buy a product because it has an apple logo on it. The Pre is by far more advanced and the iphone 3GS isn't even out yet.
    Features arnt going to save anyone. Half the phones on the market had more features then the original iPhone, and yet here we are today.
    Quote Originally Posted by urutora View Post
    I like my Palm Pre and all, but the new pricing just made me feel like I overpaid for the Pre.

Also, I don't think this thread belongs in the Palm Pre forum.
    I really think it's unfortunate that people will pay $20-40 more a month for the same features just to save $50-100 on a device. I gladly paid $475 for my Pre rather than the $99-199 I would have paid for switching to ATT. Phone aside, to get the equivalent service, I would have been paying much more per month...so much that it would negate any $200-300 subsidy.

I feel like too many people only look at the initial cost and not the cost over time.
    I agree with you, in that I don't think the iPhone 3GS was a failure. I think they quoted to having 50,000 apps available for the iPhone and 1 millon owners? That's a lot. Personally, I think the iPhone is a very good and mature product with a lot of the bugs ironed out (considering it's on version 3.0), but I'm still leaning towards the Palm Pre because of the contract cost, newer OS features, and having Sprint over AT&T as the carrier. The Pre has lots of bugs and holes currently, but I'm hoping that over the next few months that stuff will be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    If you think this is a failure you just dont understand their business and place in the market right now. You dont have to keep sprinting after you have lapped the competition.

Apple has a serious advantage over every possible competitor and with every new OS release they bury Motorola, SE, Nokia et al a little deeper.

As much as I love my Pre, it will be years before Palm get to the point Apple is at right now.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I think you're wrong. Once Palm releases their SDK, the apps will come rather quickly.
  7.    #27  
    APple fanboys don't believe me, but I said at Macrumors forums for months to years.

Apple's software developing strength is weak.

It adopted a great fundation for its OSX, but most codes are there already, and it took apple 10 years to bring the OSX to maturity.

It released Leopard 6 months too early with multiple annoying bugs it doesn't know how to fix. Wi-fi dropping like flies.

It unnecessarily ask intel chip users to pay huge amount of HDD space to accommodate its "universal" packages.

It build safari on the KHTML OSS project, now maintained as webkit, in safari 4, apple try to build a nice preview function on top of webkit, and guess what, its preview function eats large amount of HDD space, largest I saw is 6GB.

Apple has not idea how to slim down OSX to run on a mobile device. It just wait and wait and wait for better hardwares.

Now, Palm has alot of apple former employees, do remember, palm, do not learn craps from apple, apple has great designs and excellent marketing, you learn what you can, but don't try to throw bs at us users.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think you're wrong. Once Palm releases their SDK, the apps will come rather quickly.

it was a weak *** jab they took at palm with the 18 app graphic. why not include the POS app then.

anyhow, i dont think apple failed.

the apple fan boys will eat this up. faster is always better, even if you can only run one app at a time.

$99 for a 3g is brilliant.

im not getting one, but a lot ppl (the boys) will be upgrading and they will get a lot of new ppl using their phones.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The iPhone 3G is $99. (It also now supports copy/paste and unlike the Pre actually works with EAS in the real world where PIN and remote-wipe policies must be supported.)

That's not good news for Palm.
    I was someone who waited til Apple's announcement to make my decision. Now that I heard it, I'm getting the Pre.

I'm not impressed with the new iphone AT ALL......Compass? what does that do for me?

$99 dollars is nice but with ATT service not dropping in price, it's garbage compared to Sprint.

I'll be getting the Pre any day now....hopefully one that doesn't have the hardware issues I've read about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    $99 for iphone 3g. that may resist people who wanted to move to Pre.
    Like I posted on an earlier thread, if it wasn't for the Pre, we would have never seen Apple drop their prices so fast and bring these incremental upgrades so soon.

Were it not for Palm, there's a good change Apple would still charge $200 for the lowest model. And people would still line up.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    The iPhone 3G is $99. (It also now supports copy/paste and unlike the Pre actually works with EAS in the real world where PIN and remote-wipe policies must be supported.)

That's not good news for Palm.
    But Sprint service is cheaper, and the Pre is much faster than the iPhone 3G. We'll see the speed of the iPhone 3GS vs the Pre, but I honestly expect them to be pretty comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    all old news with iPhone 3.0

remote wipe of device if got lost? Pre does this now.
    app after app after app, guess they have nothing new about the device to talk about.
    no multitasking
    no front camera
    Apple bragged about a 3MP CAM in iPhone...Pre has that NOW!
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    @techcrunch AT&T Underscores How Badly It Sucks AT&T Fails iPhone Users Once Again
    Except for one thing. They lowered the price with way more storage. The 8GB Pre is $299 out the door, then you have to deal with a rebate. $299 for 32GB out the door may look better to some people. I need to wait for reviews of the revamped OS though. But I don't think they completely failed, at least not with existing users. The upgrades, even if you think they're minor, could be enough to stop people from switching.

Plus I also saw a report that Tom Tom will now work, I'm not sure if it did before(if the phone was jailbroken most likely), but it certainly should now. Apple partners with TomTom to bring "real" navigation to iPhone

So even if the "upgrades" are minor, it's now a more complete phone than it was before. And many people may now not want to switch carriers and just stay on AT&T. Those already on Sprint and happy with the Pre and the price of Sprint's plan probably will stay there too.

I'm not sure this situation is a gain for anyone yet. If everyone stays put, that is. If people start jumping ship in large numbers, then we'll see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    all old news with iPhone 3.0

remote wipe of device if got lost? Pre does this now.
    app after app after app, guess they have nothing new about the device to talk about.
    no multitasking
    no front camera

lol

still, they have good voice control and video recording, autofocus of camera, now palm, go ahead do something about those. On top of system fixes.
    The iPhone will remote wipe from an Exchange server. The PRE cant.
    The Pre doesnt have a front facing camera either.
    Does the Pre have voice control or video recording, or an autofocus camera?

I think you just proved Apple's point.
    I love the video recording the most. But after using the Pre for a few days, I will love the extended battery the 3GS offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    omg, I almost fell on the floor laughing after that presentation. Current iphone users will be excited for features that should've been there for years,
    That's a very dangerous game to play. The Pre lacks timestamps and forwarding of txt messages... I've had that on dumb phones for EVER. I've been able to at least customize to some extent how I'm notified for text messages vs the phone vs voicemail, too. Hello, Palm?

Does that make the Pre suck? No. Video and more space are what I feel I'm missing from the Pre.. moreso when we DO get video (hopefully not charging us...) because 8GB won't be nearly enough.

I much prefer the form factor of the Pre, and of course the keyboard. Not entirely thrilled about Sprint, but they are cheaper, and I was seriously going to switch anyway because of that.

I don't know why anyone things they "failed." video+7.2mbps support+double the space + $100 model... I'd say that's a pretty big move, especially the $100 iPhone.

And the Apps really do help define the phone. The chart they had was a big smack in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank828 View Post
    that was just sad

apple stock is down too
    pretty sure palm's stock is down too. it's a down day for the whole market.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    @techcrunch AT&T Underscores How Badly It Sucks AT&T Fails iPhone Users Once Again
    I saw that too on another site. AT&T is really pissing me off with all their restrictions. I'm betting the real reason is they want to put together another "plan" to gouge customers and the network isn't even an issue. I've been able to MMS on other phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast