Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Same went for iPhone forums and Crackberry.com. And don't even get started on the Android forums when the G1 first came out...yikes.
    And what did Blackberry do? Release a firmware within the first week of its release. And they keep releasing firmware's because they can't seem to fix their mistakes. At least they are making an attempt to fix it.

And with Apple, the bugs were mostly user-related or inexperienced Mac OS users. At least, they didn't create an Alarm clock app that didn't work properly on a initial firmware update.

Unless I have a defective Pre, 8-10 hours of battery life on standby isn't going to cut it for me.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    its good that there wasnt anything ground breaking. palm just need to provide some nice enhancements and fixes periodically. video recording should be on top of the list since the general consumer WILL want it.

if the pre had 16gb and outstanding battery life, they would have been in great shape but for now they are still fine.
    Palm needs to release the SDK on the webOS.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I was using the music player, plus I was logged into Gtalk.
    I wonder if it really is Gtalk / IM that is killing battery life. Now, if you need to be logged into that or use it a lot during the day, they yeah. Deal breaker for the battery, Palm needs to fix that ASAP. Otherwise, try a day with IM logged out and see how batter life fares.

This is a huge deal-- because by default you're logged into gtalk as soon as you add your google account to the Pre.
    Palm should've known for awhile that apple would spark interest in video recording. Hopefully they've got that going.

But they also got quite a few bugs to fix as well.

However, Apple will as well. I wouldn't expect smooth sailing with 3.0.

Palm is very easy to develop for. Apps should come at a quick pace once the sdk comes out.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    And what did Blackberry do? Release a firmware within the first week of its release. And they keep releasing firmware's because they can't seem to fix their mistakes. At least they are making an attempt to fix it.

And with Apple, the bugs were mostly user-related or inexperienced Mac OS users. At least, they didn't create an Alarm clock app that didn't work properly on a initial firmware update.

Unless I have a defective Pre, 8-10 hours of battery life on standby isn't going to cut it for me.
    Well Palm DID release a firmware update on launch day, so they seem to be setting a good precedent so far. As for your battery, I just can't understand that. I went to bed last night and left my phone on and when I woke up there was only a 5% difference in the batteries charge. Now when I fire it up and do a whole bunch of stuff it's a different story.

Did you download the Firmware update? Have you done the proper battery conditioning?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I was using the music player, plus I was logged into Gtalk.
    gtalk shouldn't adversely affect your battery, i can possibly see the music player doing it, but not really. Using the music player should be less intensively than actually making a call on the pre. If you are just unhappy about the battery life on the pre, i would wait awhile for software optimizations from palm to sort that out.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
    iPhone 3GS is a nice upgrade with some welcome new features, but Palm can rest easy tonight, there won't likely be a stampede for this new model when it goes on sale June 19. We Apple "fanboys" were definitely expecting more, but hey, so is everyone on the Palm side of things now that the Pre is a reality...
    Here's the trick with 16-32gb models though--- those will be attractive to people who bought the original iPhone 2 years ago. In other words, I'm thinking that will help Apple retain some customers-- 16 and 32 look much more attractive than 8gb.

Isn't memory pretty cheap these days? Would have been nice if the Pre showed up with 16gb. Reminds me of how Sony was always lagging behind in storage space / price on their network walkmen.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I wonder if it really is Gtalk / IM that is killing battery life. Now, if you need to be logged into that or use it a lot during the day, they yeah. Deal breaker for the battery, Palm needs to fix that ASAP. Otherwise, try a day with IM logged out and see how batter life fares.

This is a huge deal-- because by default you're logged into gtalk as soon as you add your google account to the Pre.
    There is a known bug with the IM/Chat applications that drains the battery. Also, once you log yourself out it wont automatically log you in anymore, so you just have to get used to choosing when you want to be connected to AIM/Chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    Uh, there was a firmware update for the Pre the second I powered it up.

Been using mine since day one. Woke me up this morning just dandy. have no idea what you're referring to.

You either do, or have too much stuff on (WiFi, messaging, bluetooth) in the background...or a combination of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24
    Somewhere in Chicago, a community is missing their organizer!
    Quote Originally Posted by kineticvision View Post
    You sir....are an *****.
    Troll. The word is troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    You didn't, which is why I said "you AREN'T" because I originally quoted somebody who WAS saying those things.

Handshake for a mutual mis-understanding?
    done.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by testament View Post
    gtalk shouldn't adversely affect your battery, i can possibly see the music player doing it, but not really. Using the music player should be less intensively than actually making a call on the pre. If you are just unhappy about the battery life on the pre, i would wait awhile for software optimizations from palm to sort that out.
    There is a known bug with the IM protocol on the Pre that Palm is working on, which is why I make the suggestion.

(IM was always a battery hog on my 755p...)
    Well, it doesnt have front facing camera so I am dissapointed at that.
    I wish they had mentioned more tech specs but guess we'll find out.
    I like the 3.0 software features and the software developers are coming out
    with some crazy software like tom tom and their accessories.
    more memory and faster and better battery life and 3 megapixel camera
    and video capability are all good and push finally and 7.2 high speed support.

Funny thing... so many enhancements and improvements but yes do feel wish there was more. Jaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Here's the trick with 16-32gb models though--- those will be attractive to people who bought the original iPhone 2 years ago. In other words, I'm thinking that will help Apple retain some customers-- 16 and 32 look much more attractive than 8gb.

Isn't memory pretty cheap these days? Would have been nice if the Pre showed up with 16gb. Reminds me of how Sony was always lagging behind in storage space / price on their network walkmen.
    I plan on taking a ton of video. I need the 32 gig version.
    I agree, with the amount of apps, battery life increase, memory increase, price, it will be a hard sell for the Pre. I like the pre but I don't know if I can truly keep it. Maybe when apps start to roll out and updates are made. In my view the onlything Pre has at this point over iPhone is Multitasking where I know it's a huge thing compared to the memory increase, video, and other things why wait months for Palm to work on these. It would have been great if Palm released the SDK by launch.
    Same went for iPhone forums and Crackberry.com. And don't even get started on the Android forums when the G1 first came out...yikes.
    I'd expand that to say that it's true of ALL forums. People are something like 9 times more likely to complain than they are to praise. We expect things to work the way we want, and so when they do, we don't consider it remarkable. When they don't, though, we notice and react.

It gets tedious to wade through the negativity, and it can kill a forum, but so far there's enough worth reading here that it'll keep me coming back.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    So the people here who already favored iPhone now favor 3GS, and the people that didn't are underwhelmed?

That's great news for Palm. If Apple had produced a gamechanger near the Pre launch, it could've been trouble, but this.....ain't that.
    So the people here who already favored iPhone now favor 3GS, and the people that didn't are underwhelmed?

That's great news for Palm. If Apple had produced a gamechanger near the Pre launch, it could've been trouble, but this.....ain't that.
    I'm not really sure the reactions here are a good indication. Wait till the mainstream news starts showing people the video recording app. They will of course act like Apple invented it.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I plan on taking a ton of video. I need the 32 gig version.
    Ok now quietly leave and go to an iphone forum. I hope it works out great for ya. But this site is for Pre enthusiast. Thank you, good bye.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast