Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    I gotta say, I would be hard pressed to believe that Apple would drop any iPhone to below $100 this early, were it not for the pressure Palm is putting on them with the Pre.
    If it wasn't for this, Apple would still be reaming people, $200 a pop on the cheapest model.

I could not have been happier with this little guy, the Pre, 1.0 bugs and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I wonder if it really is Gtalk / IM that is killing battery life. Now, if you need to be logged into that or use it a lot during the day, they yeah. Deal breaker for the battery, Palm needs to fix that ASAP. Otherwise, try a day with IM logged out and see how batter life fares.

This is a huge deal-- because by default you're logged into gtalk as soon as you add your google account to the Pre.

I've been using the music player, no messaging application-- except when SMS come in, wifi on, location on, gmail set to "as they come in", and I'm currently at 25%. This is after a full night's charge 100%. This is absolutely ridiculous!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I plan on taking a ton of video. I need the 32 gig version.
    I doubt space will be *that* critical. Video capture has been around for a long time. Did Apple say anything about the resolution of the video? Plus they're touting being able to upload it directly from the phone, hence reducing the need to have a lot of it stored on your phone all the time.

Still-- I agree with you. I'd want 16+gb if I was serious about shooting video. Pity the Pre doesn't have a memory card slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadrap View Post
    Ok now quietly leave and go to an iphone forum. I hope it works out great for ya. But this site is for Pre enthusiast. Thank you, good bye.
    your welcome. But I shall stay here too. Thanks. I also own a Pre.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaint9 View Post
    I've been using the music player, no messaging application-- except when SMS come in, wifi on, location on, gmail set to "as they come in", and I'm currently at 25%. This is after a full night's charge 100%. This is absolutely ridiculous!
    When you say you're not using the messaging app-- do you literally mean you're not using it? Because I didn't use mine, but that didn't change the fact that it was logged in / connected.
    I doubt space will be *that* critical. Video capture has been around for a long time. Did Apple say anything about the resolution of the video? Plus they're touting being able to upload it directly from the phone, hence reducing the need to have a lot of it stored on your phone all the time.

Still-- I agree with you. I'd want 16+gb if I was serious about shooting video. Pity the Pre doesn't have a memory card slot.
    30fps is all they said. When it comes to video, the more storage the better.
    Here's the trick with 16-32gb models though--- those will be attractive to people who bought the original iPhone 2 years ago. In other words, I'm thinking that will help Apple retain some customers-- 16 and 32 look much more attractive than 8gb.
    It will also help in converting people over from the iPod Touch. If you have a 32GB iPod Touch that is already 75% full, a 16GB device won't cut it.
    underwhelmed or expecting more or something... but it's still hellava system.

it will be interesting to download the 3.0 software in 10 days and then try it out. i think that once you play with all the little changes then you really start loving the whole thing because it just keeps getting better and better.

there is definitely more under the hood to get all that in and upgrade camera and offer video now and better battery and compass and all that. they didnt even bring up fm tranmitter and ad2p support but they already said it so in the last presentation about 3.0

you dont know yet if palm will give you new features in the pre or just bug fixes and minor enhancements but from apples track record, you can expect new features in the future and some form of mulitask can be possible.

yet i was hoping for more i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So the people here who already favored iPhone now favor 3GS, and the people that didn't are underwhelmed?

That's great news for Palm. If Apple had produced a gamechanger near the Pre launch, it could've been trouble, but this.....ain't that.
    When you say you're not using the messaging app-- do you literally mean you're not using it? Because I didn't use mine, but that didn't change the fact that it was logged in / connected.
    It's not running in the background. Whenever I do start it, I have myself "Offline". In this case, my first real work day with the device, I haven't done too much but listen to music at my desk. We did some browser speed tests against some co-workers iphones-- the Pre won of course ;-) I wouldn't think that a music application would drain the battery like that. I'm curious if it's a bug in the music app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    Right, just like I said, everything that was expected and previously leaked. Except non of the stuff people wanted most made it into the device like the OLED screen, forward facing camera, glowing apple logo, different form factor, cheaper AT&T plans, and that's just off the top of my head.

What did you hear that you didn't already know before the conference?
    OLED would have been nice. The FF camera would have been nice for video calls I guess, OTOH the autofocus camera makes bar code and OCR apps possible.

As for the other stuff, its mostly fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    As for the other stuff, its mostly fluff.
    Somehow I didn't see 7.2 mbps HSDPA, double the processor speed/program ram, storage options from 8 - 32GB, and a worldwide release in 9 days to be "fluff."
    I would definitely snap up the 3gs, but the monthly rates just don't compare to sprint. $89.99 for an equivalent to the $69.99 everything data plan. And plus, since I'm with alliant, I'm going to get that plan for ~$53 per month.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I think it's time for Palm and Sprint to drop the phone to $150 and give early adopters back another $50.
    what are you guys talking about? $50 doesn't mean much, AT&T customers pay that much more a MONTH. So let them have their cheaper iphone that can run one app at a time, and their expensive service.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It will also help in converting people over from the iPod Touch. If you have a 32GB iPod Touch that is already 75% full, a 16GB device won't cut it.
    Yeah. I'm waiting for a minimum 64gb Touch. I have a 16gb and yeah-- it makes the 8gb on my Pre seem insufficient for using it as one of my main music devices. Perhaps I'll use the Pre for video since I've gradually removed all video from my 16gb Touch as I've filled it with more and more music.

(I'm one of those few people who may never be satisfied with any single convergence device. I always have an iPod on me -- and sometimes a small camera-- in addition to my phone. When Apple or Palm cranks out a phone with a legit camera, we'll talk. Right now the only phones with serious cameras I've seen have been Samsung and Sony, I think. And by serious I don't mean megapixels or autofocus.)
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Somehow I didn't see 7.2 mbps HSDPA, double the processor speed/program ram, storage options from 8 - 32GB, and a worldwide release in 9 days to be "fluff."
    Not fluff, but nothing unexpected or "wow"ing. That's all. Still a great device-- but I can't imagine it's that much more compelling than the already attractive iPhone 3G.

(Although, prior to the announcement of the Pre @ CES, I had said that I'd be interested in an iPhone when they hit at least 32gb...)

I really have to give Apple credit for being as aggressive as they are with pricing this last year or so. I mean it helps that the carrier subsidizes the device, but yeah. They seem to deliver pretty decent bang for the buck these days. I think the pricing on my old Treo 755p was absolutely obscene.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That 7.2 mbps HSDPA is a function of an AT&T network upgrade that is nowhere near completion. Apple is saying the new iphone can take advantage of it where it exists. The problem is that AT&T 3G coverage is very spotty even at 3.6.

Saying they have 7.2 IS, in fact, more Apple marketing fluff.
  17. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    That 7.2 mbps HSDPA is a function of an AT&T network upgrade that is nowhere near completion. Apple is saying the new iphone can take advantage of it where it exists. The problem is that AT&T 3G coverage is very spotty even at 3.6.

Saying they have 7.2 IS, in fact, more Apple marketing fluff.
    The iPhone is not a US only phone. It will be released in several countries on the 19th of June and in over 80 countries by August. A number of operators have networks operating at 7.2Mbps and some are pushing on to still higher speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    Also Apple will launch in the USA, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and the UK on the 19th of June, six other countries a week later and over 80 countries by August. Now thatís how to do a product launch.
    THAT is one reason why the GSM Pre should have been ready sooner! Two more reasons, Nokia N97 and HTC Touch Diamond Pro 2. I played with an N97 down at the Nokia Store, it's not bad though with no US carrier backing, it's expensive.

But the GSM Pre will be very late to the table.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    30fps is all they said. When it comes to video, the more storage the better.
    They said 30fps VGA (640x480).
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910