Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Per is better bc of WebOS but the Pro 2 will be nice for SERO users.
    Where's the comparison, tho? An SUV and a hybrid sedan are both "cars" just as the TP2 and Pre are both touchscreen smartphones. But they have substantially different functionality, so one isn't a patch on what the other is missing.

You can make a feature list about what the Touch Pro does that the Pre doesn't. And then you can realize that the Touch Pro has all the same things except for the larger screen and landscape TouchFlo3D, and people were upgrading to Palm Pre from those devices IN DROVES (hell, just check the largest "What device are you upgrading from?" thread here). In fact, you can go to any Sprint store and fondle a Touch Pro for as long as you want right now. It's not a particularly compelling experience regardless of what it says it does on paper.

On the other hand, if a Pre is not your cup of tea, don't settle for it either. Maybe you want to look into getting a Blackberry...or wait for Sprint's Android device later this year.
    I had this issue too but I decided to go Pre. Windows Mobile always made me sick but the looks of the TP2 hardware is sooo beautiful! WebOS secured the purchase of the Pre for me. Ot
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    WM has always had more features than say..the iphone. But guess what people want? Ease of use. Now when WM incorporates cards, goes capacitive, gets a browser on par with the Pre/iphone, and optimizes for touch, etc..then i'll give it a look.

This isn't bashing but just reality.
    I have used it for quite some time. And if I were a corporate employee, neither the iPhone or the Pre would be for me. WM has basic robust functions even without needing to add apps, although they do help. And you can always use Opera as the browser.

But for WebOS, no copy and paste from web pages or within text messages or emails? No save from the browser?

Someone else mentioned it missing basic SMS functions. Almost everyone uses SMS so that's inexcusable!

No simple ringtone assignment to SMS? Even that one can be done on dumbphones.

No document editing? Looks like there may be a PDF viewing issue too.

There's some other stuff that should have been basic on a phone like this. Voice command is one.

As for cards, the Touch Pro 2 is supposed to have a version of it's own. And the interface seems improved over the usual WM.

People do want a cool interface and simplicity, BUT WM still covers what seems to be missing from the Pre. If you use functions regularly, it's annoying when they're suddenly unavailable. Just as annoying as no copy and paste whatsoever on the iPhone was for me. Hopefully they'll issue updates soon for WebOS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Poor + $299 on a phone = does not compute.
    Maybe you need comprehension glasses... i'm concerned not about phone price but plan price. A phone you pay for once and you're done. Plus I could sell my Touch Pro and 700Wx and come out paying zero for TP2.

Pls read and understand posts before rushing to reply.
    I like the fact that the Touch Pro 2 has a bigger screen. Add Skyfire & Opera to that and web browsing will be so much better than on my Touch pro.

1.The Touch Pro 2 will have ease of use thanks to Mobile Shell 3, Pointui 2 & Touchflo 3d.
    2.Being able to download from the browser is a major plus for me
    3.Being able to bluetooth files to other phones is also good
    4.Tethering
    5.Being able to delete music or video files directly from my phone (Pre can't do this)
    6.My brother has the Pre & I have the TP & my keyboard beats his by far plus I have the option of multiple on screen keyboards (Touch Pal, Pocket Cm, Ezinput, finger keyboard)
    7.Multiple video players & Audio players
    8.Strong support thanks to XDA, PPC Geeks etc.
    9.More storage space

If someone over at XDA or another site makes anything like Tealos for WM, that would easily stop the ease of use argument. WM was always able to multitask
    I have a TP and a Pre - they are very different animals. I have used WM for the past 2 years and it has been OK. The Touch Pro was starting to get "old" for me - and the fact that I had to spend a week setting it up was fun at the time but also bad that I had to do that to make it work better. The Pre seems really simple comparatively - but not necessarily in a bad way. There are tons of features and apps on WM that we do not have on the Pre...yet. But I think that will change with time - and it better because there is core business functionality that the Pre does not have yet. WM certainly has a market and will continue to do well, but 6.5 and then 7 better get closer to webOS/Apple or it will continue to be marginalized as a niche platform, IMO.

One other thing - the Pre's hardware is MUCH better than the Touch Pro's, IMO. The Touch Pro feels very cheap to me comparatively.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    WM vs webOS. No need to go further..
    You got it right buddy.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    That TP2 coming out soon looks sweet. Any recommendations to get that instead of Pre? Windows Mobile can't be that bad?
    I thought that too, until I got a Diamond.

Here's the skinny, Winmo does not manage its memory very well, nor does it manage battery life as well as other devices. The people whining about how horrible the Pre's battery life is something that a long time Diamond user wouldn't bat an eye at and just accept as normal.

That is, with all the glitchy code still swirling around WebOS, Winmo users just sorta live with their problem. Personally I'm expecting that as Palm refines WebOS some more we'll see some pretty nice strides in that department. I'm thinking there are a few memory leaks and things like that. Things of this nature are inherent to an immature platform.
    I'm planning on migrating from a Treo Pro to a Touch Pro 2 (GSM versions however), and I normally HATE slider devices. However, given the TP2's bigger screen (so the onscreen keyboard can actually be used for quick messages) that is also great for movies or webbrowsing will be welcome. TF3D2 is a nice addition, as long as the hack to allow for my today plugins to reside in a tab works on it.
    Windows mobile and Web OS are at different stages in their lives. I previously owned a touch pro which always gave issues with keyboard or screen freezing when texting; no matter what kind of resgistry edits were done. Guys at PPCGeeks had a hard time figuring it out too. The difference here is Web OS is young with a development community eagerly tryih to address all issues; where as Bill Gates is already rich with Windows and is not eagerly trying to put out mobile updates frequently and tackle every issue there is.
  12.    #32  
    I'd love to know when TP2 will be launched on Sprint. Someone must know something!?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevelandrocker View Post
    I'd love to know when TP2 will be launched on Sprint. Someone must know something!?
    Best guess right now is Q3 - August-ish.

I am also interested in seeing it (the TP2) in person. Have to say I got the TP primarily for the keyboard and I now feel after a week that I can type better on the Pre's. But the screen on the TP2 w/WM 6.5 could be interesting.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I just have to chime in after reading what people say about WinMo.

Guys, bottom line, the HTC Touch /PRO/PRO2/Diamond line is just smoke and mirrors. Underlying that pretty interface is the windows mobile platform which just really isn't very intuitive and stable. As soon as you navigate from that "interface" you get the same old ugly interface underneath that it tries to hide. Yes its FULL of features, but that doesn't mean anything if its not implemented correctly. I come from using a HTC Touch for 2 years, and by the end of my use with it I was about to throw it in a lake or something. The thing crashes all the time, I'd have to reset at least once a day just because it would slow down so much. Yes the Pre isn't as powerful or feature rich, but if you take a look at what you actually need, the Pre might just be enough for you. Browsing the internet, emailing, texting, iming, using the GPS is just 10x's easier on the Pre then it was for me on WinMo.
    WizardHowl, I just gotta say that my Sprint Touch pro is exceedingly stable. I purchase my device for functionality, not looks. Implimentation? If it is stable and does what is needed, then implimentation is just fine. No crashes at all. After the daily 10P backup the device is automagically reset. Browsing the Internet is fine, email with Flexmail is fine, texting, GPS and so forth are just fine.

As a note, I disabled the Flo on day number 1. Again, not a problem and many of us also are in the same boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    WizardHowl, I just gotta say that my Sprint Touch pro is exceedingly stable. I purchase my device for functionality, not looks. Implimentation? If it is stable and does what is needed, then implimentation is just fine. No crashes at all. After the daily 10P backup the device is automagically reset. Browsing the Internet is fine, email with Flexmail is fine, texting, GPS and so forth are just fine.

As a note, I disabled the Flo on day number 1. Again, not a problem and many of us also are in the same boat.
    My Touch Pro was very stable as well. When I started playing with preferences and regedits, I ran into some stability issues, but it was my own fault. I didn't disable Touch Flo because I just liked it too much, but I found it very quick and snappy.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    in the same boat. Pre is out of the question simply because of the plan requirements. It will be interesting to see what springs up
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post

Guys, bottom line, the HTC Touch /PRO/PRO2/Diamond line is just smoke and mirrors. Underlying that pretty interface is the windows mobile platform which just really isn't very intuitive and stable. As soon as you navigate from that "interface" you get the same old ugly interface underneath that it tries to hide. Yes its FULL of features, but that doesn't mean anything if its not implemented correctly. I come from using a HTC Touch for 2 years, and by the end of my use with it I was about to throw it in a lake or something. The thing crashes all the time, I'd have to reset at least once a day just because it would slow down so much. Yes the Pre isn't as powerful or feature rich, but if you take a look at what you actually need, the Pre might just be enough for you. Browsing the internet, emailing, texting, iming, using the GPS is just 10x's easier on the Pre then it was for me on WinMo.
    The Pre doesn't even fill 10% of what i need in a phone right now. Maybe in a years time when it has more developed apps or WebOS v2 (or Pre v2) comes out we'll see. Right now WinMobile serves my needs more than 100%.

What use is network GPS in a dead zone? Gimme TomTom (or Garmin Mobile XT anyday..have both on my Treo Pro right now). Treo Pro gets me better battery life, streams my beloved BBC via rm or mms streams, copy and paste O.S-wide, pushes my email with Seven, whole lotta bluetooth profiles, tethering my MacBook Pro via wmwifirouter, desktop sync, voice command (i'll admit this one is hit or miss with me being a heavy stutterer ) and so much more.

Right now, i'm waiting to see what's next for WebOS and what Sprint has in store in regards to an Android device. I can't help salivating over the Sprint Touch Pro 2 pics i've seen though.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post

You may not have done effective memory management, a must for WM or it will slow down. It keeps everything you do or have done open, until you close it yourself with task manager or an app, a big oversight that should have been fixed more efficiently LONG AGO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have been debating between Pre and TP2. I think I have an answer now.

Today, I was able to play with the T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 for about 20 mins. Screen was much more responsive than TP. TouchFlo 3D was nice. However, Opera still takes forever to render sites I go to frequently - phonedog, precentral, cent and etc. Even though the screen was more responsive, but it still took me a few tries under Opera to register a link "click".

Since Sprint was a few blocks away, I drove down there to try the Pre again. No question that the Pre is so much nicer since it is a capacitive touch screen. Also, the flow is so much nicer than WM.

However, a few things are preventing me from buying the Pre:
    1 - PDA functionality is not there yet. I really want to sync Tasks between Pre and Outlook and be able to specify a Date/Time (not just Today, tomorrow and etc)
    2 - If I travel to Europe and Asia, I don't think I can use the Pre?
    3 - Password manager. Is SplashId ready for prime time and can be synced between desktop and the Pre?

Any comments?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast