Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It seems most of the negative reviews about Palm Pre are about poor battery performance. For those with iPhone experience, how does it compare?
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    It seems most of the negative reviews about Palm Pre are about poor battery performance. For those with iPhone experience, how does it compare?
    I can get nearly a full day (6am - 10pm) out of my iphone but thats with everything off except for AT&T Edge. This is with 3 gmail accounts pulling every 15 minutes, 25-30 text messages, a few short phone calls, listening to the Ipod while driving throughout the day and maybe some light web browsing. If I turn on 3G, WIFI etc. Im lucky to get through half a day before I get an alert about low battery. I only turn those things on as I need them and then turn them right back off. It would be nice to just leave all the wireless radios on and not have to think about it.

From the reviews I think the pre is on par if not better than the iphone battery, considering that is constantly syncs your content. Supposedly there is a bug related to AIM so if that is fixed it should be certainly better. If I can make it through a full day with the pre and plug in to charge when I go to sleep than I will be fine with it.
    I think the first firmware update Palm sends out should fix some of the battery life problems they're currently experiencing. I hope so, at least! One thing I like about my Instinct is that it comes with two batteries.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    From reading the various reviews yesterday, I got the impression that the Pre battery life was on par with the iPhone battery life. Also, I remember reading from one of the reviews (I don't remember which one), that Palm is aware of the AIM/battery issue and is working on a fix.
    I think their battery's sound very similar. The iPhone's larger capacity is likely offset by its larger screen and older, less efficient processor.
    Also it won't be long until seido comes out with a stronger 1200-1300 battery in the same form factor.
    Both do sound similar. Have to charge the iphone usually once in the afternoon if i want a full day. I'm used to charging when i can so this isn't a big deal for me.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the info. I do appreciate it.
    i have a iPhone 3G and the battery is really really bad, it wont last me more than 6 hours if i use it here and there. I have to bring a charger to work because my phone will die by the end of the day if not and im not constantly using it, its horrible and i hope the Pre's battery life wont be as bad as my iphone .... also, i dont talk on the phone within that time frame, only internet and text
    I recommend purchasing the touchstone for easy charging on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
    i have a iPhone 3G and the battery is really really bad, it wont last me more than 6 hours if i use it here and there. I have to bring a charger to work because my phone will die by the end of the day if not and im not constantly using it, its horrible and i hope the Pre's battery life wont be as bad as my iphone .... also, i dont talk on the phone within that time frame, only internet and text
    Same here. I have a charger at home, car, office, and a travel charger. I never have wi-fi or bluetooth turned on. The Apps do consume a lot of battery.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    How about.... an extra battery for the Pre??
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by patkosanke View Post
    I recommend purchasing the touchstone for easy charging on the go.
    This may have already been answered, but I am curious about this. Can you charge the touchstone battery without it being connected to the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by suadeo View Post
    This may have already been answered, but I am curious about this. Can you charge the touchstone battery without it being connected to the phone?
    No. Some of the electronics are embedded in the matte cover. The battery itself is just a stock battery.
    My iPhone does not go one day, just about unless I have everything turned off. The best battery phone i have ownd was the Pro. The G1 is really bad too.
    Quote Originally Posted by treowalt View Post
    From reading the various reviews yesterday, I got the impression that the Pre battery life was on par with the iPhone battery life. Also, I remember reading from one of the reviews (I don't remember which one), that Palm is aware of the AIM/battery issue and is working on a fix.
    Actually, from the what Walt Mossberg said about the battery it matches the talk time to the iPhone but the music and video are pretty bad. For music, the Pre has only 12 hours vs. 24 hours on the iPhone. For video, the Pre has 5 hours vs. 7 hours on the iPhone. I was hoping for at least iPhone battery lifes for media. Hopefully updates can help optimize things.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    i don't know why they aren't coming out with more powerful batteries with technology these days.

they can make small long lasting batteries .. i mean the pre's battery is only 1100mah,.. they should be able to easily make a 1500-1600mah battery without making it bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    i don't know why they aren't coming out with more powerful batteries with technology these days.

they can make small long lasting batteries .. i mean the pre's battery is only 1100mah,.. they should be able to easily make a 1500-1600mah battery without making it bigger.
    If you can explain how to do that without making the price unpalatable to the consumer I can guarantee you a well paid position.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    To be honest, I would be glad to pay $100 for a PRE or iPhone battery that lets me use 3g, wifi, bluetooth, and whatever else i want all day. This is the 1 device you use every single day, you touch it more than your spouse (in most cases i assume) , so would an extra $100 over an above the cost of the battery today, be worth it? Hell yeah. You'll see people buying the pRE for $549+, to make that phone (or an iPhone) usable all day long like you want it to be, do you think another $100 really scares anyone?

I dont.
    Many might disagree.
    But if i am going to have such a killer device... i want it to work, not just for half a day, and I dont want to be charging it somewhere at 2pm.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    I, too, am curious why these cell phone batteries carry so little power. You can get rechargeable Aa NiMH batteries that are good for 2500mah for a couple bucks. While the form factor is dfferent, I find it hard to believe that the volume of a Pre or Iphone battery is less than a single AA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast