Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valvalis View Post
    You really don't have to be anti-iPhone to be pro-Pre. Both are really great phones and have their own advantages. Calling the iPhone a glorified iPod or a toy is pretty naive and/or obnoxious thing to say.
    Obnoxious or naive, the iphone really is a glorified i pod. Phone call quality is sub par to even the Vu. Having had one for a few days, I returned it for a Vu and bought a nokia 5800 express.Of the actual 40k or so apps id be generous to say 2k of them are actually worthwhile and will actually be of use to business users. The iphone is a feature/fashion phone.
    I want a phone that doesnt try to force me to put the square peg in the round hole.
    #8 - AT&T CONGESTION?!
    #9 - Black is BEAUTIFUL BABY!
    #10 - Then there are all the cool words that begin with Pre..... my little PRE-shhhh-us!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Of the actual 40k or so apps id be generous to say 2k of them are actually worthwhile and will actually be of use to business users.
    You just admitted that there are 2K apps worthwhile to business users...

Do you realize how many apps there are currently for the Pre? There's like 12. And the development community has NO IDEA when we'll be able to get our apps onto the store.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I'll show them why, I'll pull up my cards which will have E-Mail, SMS/IM, Browser(s), Internet Radio, and Google Maps running all at the same time. Then I will pull off the back cover and show them that I can remove that battery. I'll also explain that it's just nice to not have to look at the phone to do everything (i.e. dialing 911). Oh and I'll mention that Sprint has more 3G coverage in the US than AT&T does.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    #7 - Full HTML compatibility (which I hope means HTML5)
    There is partial HTML5 compatibility (mostly just SQL storage).
    There is VERY little CSS3 compatibility (no opacity!!!).
    Because I've been with Sprint for 11 years and am not changing providers for a phone.
    Because I wanted a real keyboard and real email support.
    bloatware iTunes.

single tasking

control freak named apple
    What's with all the obnoxious anti-iPhone comments?

Saying that the Pre is a better business-phone right now is absolutely ridiculous considering that at the present time you can do far more with the iPhone app ecosystem then you can with the Pre's. Other than multi-tasking and the keyboard the iPhone is shoulder to shoulder with the Pre.

That said, I was a long time Treo/Palm OS user prior to switching to the iPhone two years ago (Palm IIIx -> IIIc -> Vx -> m505 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p). I'm not DITCHING the iPhone for the Pre. I'm going to just keep both around for a while (I'm a developer, and both platforms are of interest to me).

You really don't have to be anti-iPhone to be pro-Pre. Both are really great phones and have their own advantages. Calling the iPhone a glorified iPod or a toy is pretty naive and/or obnoxious thing to say.
    I personally don't like the control Apple has over you after the sale. If I want to buy music to put on the phone I have to use iTunes. If the battery craps out, I have to send it to Apple to get it replaced (no Apple store here).

After I pay my hard earned cash, let me decide how I manage my music transfers and let me go to almost any store, buy a battery and replace it myself. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by premarkable View Post
    I personally don't like the control Apple has over you after the sale. If I want to buy music to put on the phone I have to use iTunes. If the battery craps out, I have to send it to Apple to get it replaced (no Apple store here).

After I pay my hard earned cash, let me decide how I manage my music transfers and let me go to almost any store, buy a battery and replace it myself. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.
    The battery issue is one of keeping the phone slim -- not controlled. I'll give you the iTunes issue, but there are other options to push / pull music from an iPhone -- they're just not high profile.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Saying that the Pre is a better business-phone right now is absolutely ridiculous considering that at the present time you can do far more with the iPhone app ecosystem then you can with the Pre's. Other than multi-tasking and the keyboard the iPhone is shoulder to shoulder with the Pre.

That said, I was a long time Treo/Palm OS user prior to switching to the iPhone two years ago (Palm IIIx -> IIIc -> Vx -> m505 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p). I'm not DITCHING the iPhone for the Pre. I'm going to just keep both around for a while (I'm a developer, and both platforms are of interest to me).

True. Remember, Ruby & team were Apple people.
    I wanted to buy a really nice phone, not an overpriced Ipod that thinks its a cell phone
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Keyboard, Seamless transition w/ Classic Apps, Multitasking, Palm does PIM MUCH better than Apple and lastly...it's a sexy beast!
  15. DDD

I think some of the Harsh Comments are just a defensive affront to the question asked.

As having a 3G now, and having palms before: Palm Pilot Personal->Palm III-> Palm IIIc->Sony Clie NX-> Clie UX-> Samsung I300-> Samsung I500-> Kyocera QCP 6035-> Kyocera 7135-> Treo 600-> Treo 650-> Treo 750 and not to mention the various WM phones; I just think that the Pre will be a better fit for the way I work and organize my day and assignments. I will miss some of the 3G's aps, but I do not doubt they or similar will be made for the Pre.
    Also Known as 3_D
    You just admitted that there are 2K apps worthwhile to business users...

Do you realize how many apps there are currently for the Pre? There's like 12. And the development community has NO IDEA when we'll be able to get our apps onto the store.
    Theres generously 2k. Apple has had their app store out comparing a newly developed ecosystem to an already established one is ignorant. Compare the pre's launch to the iphone's original launch or even the 3g launch and the pre by far surpass'. The sdk is only being given to well known big developers to develop app's that people want. Its not gonna be given out to joe shcmo so he can develop the 3000 app that is a flashlight. Your inner fanboy is showing and it seems like your buying the pre for the same reason you bought the iphone; i.e as a "status" phone. Im sorry you cant look past the dictatorship of apple, whom of which I love their mb pro's, but its the 21st century you cant control every thing. Microsoft has hopefully began to learn this.
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    1. I didn't want an iphone

2. Can't stand Apple
    I cannot switch carriers yet anyway!!!
    Because I have a brain.

Honestly - I value freedom over control.
    Because I want a real smartphone and not a toy.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    "This isn't an iPhone?!?"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast