1.    #1  
    I am an Android user about to make the switch to the Pre and WebOS. I think Android is alright.... but WebOS is looking way better.
    Anyone else making a switch from Android to WebOS?
    I "made" the switch. Right now I'm using both since Palm did not release the SDK publicly.
    Web OS is certainly faster to navigate around. It's much closer to the feel or having a real PC in your hand than Android does. That being said, as a developer I love Android from a technical point of view and would be completely happy if it adopted a card like system for switching apps.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Google has never made an aesthetically pleasing piece of software on their own. With Picasa they bought it from someone else, with Google Earth they also bought that from someone else.

It wasn't until Apple developed Google Maps for the iPhone that Google learned how to interface Maps properly. That Android doesn't impress me, was no surprise.
    I don't think there's any comparison, Android doesn't come close to the Pre.

(Admittedly, my only experience with it is a hacked version running on my n800, but...) the interface for Android lacks polish like everything Google does and feels clumsy as far as I'm concerned. The widgets are neat, but I prefer a nice clean interface. Honestly, to me, WebOS feels like what Android should have been.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

(Admittedly, my only experience with it is a hacked version running on my n800, but...) the interface for Android lacks polish like everything Google does and feels clumsy as far as I'm concerned. The widgets are neat, but I prefer a nice clean interface. Honestly, to me, WebOS feels like what Android should have been.
    Steve Jobs said about Apple's partnership with Google back when the iPhone was first announced something to the effect that "Apple is great at application design, but not data. Google does data better than anybody, but we bring to the table the best apps, powered by Google's data."

I think Android shows that overwhelmingly.
    They are both based on Linux and both use a Webkit browser engine. The Android SDK looks a lot more interesting. The Pre is definitely I nicer looking device than the G1 and the WebOS UI is certainly very slick looking.

Gmail is probably better on Android and the PIM apps pretty much suck on both. I don't think they are that far apart. I gues we will see how things look in a year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    They are both based on Linux and both use a Webkit browser engine. The Android SDK looks a lot more interesting. The Pre is definitely I nicer looking device than the G1 and the WebOS UI is certainly very slick looking.

Gmail is probably better on Android and the PIM apps pretty much suck on both. I don't think they are that far apart. I gues we will see how things look in a year or two.
    Gmail is better on Android only if you care about the threaded view and labels, which I do not (for email at least. I prefer emails to be non-threaded actually and hate browsing Gmail from the browser). And as far as PIM apps sucking on both, I have to disagree on the Pre side of things. I love the Calendar and Contacts on the Pre.

Admittedly if you use a ton of Memos or Tasks, then it's not as great an experience, but I use OneNote on my PC for writing myself any major notes I need organized. Memos for me is just a quick note when I'm away from the computer, so the Sticky Notes theme works great, and I tend to use All-Day Events instead of Tasks in general, so the functionality of that is perfect for me as well.

Either way, the Calendar and Contacts puts it way ahead of Android in PIM as far as I'm concerned.
    Admittedly if you use a ton of Memos or Tasks, then it's not as great an experience, but I use OneNote on my PC for writing myself any major notes I need organized. Memos for me is just a quick note when I'm away from the computer, so the Sticky Notes theme works great, and I tend to use All-Day Events instead of Tasks in general, so the functionality of that is perfect for me as well.

Either way, the Calendar and Contacts puts it way ahead of Android in PIM as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't use notes as much as I used to since I started filing everything away in eWallet. However, lack of a decent Task app integrated with the Calendar is a big omission for me. All day events are not the same thing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't use notes as much as I used to since I started filing everything away in eWallet. However, lack of a decent Task app integrated with the Calendar is a big omission for me. All day events are not the same thing at all.
    I'm not saying its the same thing, just that it works for me. Add that to the fact I never heavily used tasks anyway as anything other than like a grocery list or things like that, and it's perfect for my use.

Like I implied in my last post though, I can definitely see how some wouldn't like that.
    As a long time Palm user and currently Android user I'm a bit torn.

With the cupcake update, Android feels very polished and mature. Lots of nice small touches were added that still surprise me. I'm not familiar with Palm's SDK, but can say that Android is very sophisticated, and it's hard to see how Palm's WebOS would allow developers this far reach and freedom to do things.

UI-wise, I obviously like the Pre better, the fluidity and speed is very satisfying. However, PIM functionality is a step back from the old Palm OS. Device-wise, of course the Pre is far more elegant than the G1, though I really would want the G1's trackball on the Pre to jump between form fields and links.

So personally, I'm going to wait and see. From reading the forum I get a deja-vu of old Treo problems and want to see how Palm addresses them. In the past they neglected bugs for years and were unresponsive. In contrast, there are no workarounds or fixes on the G1, it really just works.

The G1 may be unattractive, but it really is an extremely capable and quite polished mobile device which I now use more than my PC in my spare time. I'd wait for Palm to demonstrate quick turn around on issues and a comprehensive SDK before considering the Pre.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    How do you like Android PIM functionality?
    It's quite good, though not as much as the old Palm OS. A few examples, the calendar shows all hours including free time and its date and time widgets are not as easy to use as the Palm OS, there is no agenda screen, no birthday associated with a contact and it shipped without memo and tasks apps. However, these apps have since been available as open source apps through the market. Astrid tasks is an excellent app that is now also location aware. There is the Notes app which is on par with the old Palm Memos.

But the upside is the fluid integration between maps, calendar and gmail. Finding places and contacts is very well done.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by toolbox123 View Post
    I am an Android user about to make the switch to the Pre and WebOS. I think Android is alright.... but WebOS is looking way better.
    Anyone else making a switch from Android to WebOS?
    I am switching, long time Android user ( G1 dev) and iPhone user. Unfortunately I live in the EU, so it will have to wait, a bit longer (if i dont get CDMA one for dev just to work on wifi). Android really is powerfull, and almost omnipotent especially with the cupcake. But it is still pretty rough on the edges and somewhat buggy.

But since i`m a old Palm user i will not miss a chance to relive the past a bit with this Pre. It looks and "feels" stunning so i am intrigued even more now that its out. Oh and i dont even need to say how much jelaous of you who bought it.
    Last edited by Beler; 06/16/2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    It seems to me that Android has a more rigidly developed and defined framework, structure and security model and these should help Android extending beyond a single device and other form factors down the road.

WebOS, OTOH, is a looser combination of the Linux kernel and Webkit. Security is compromised for development convenience.
    I've been thinking about this for quite some time now.

I have a feeling these two will be fighting with each other quite a bit... but that's only better for us in the long run.

If only the SDK were released, I could make up my mind about which OS to jump into first...