1.    #1  
    Palm Pre: A Smartphone Not Quite Smart Enough - BusinessWeek

The closing sentence probably says enough:
    I am pulling for the Pre, but I wouldn't want to bet my iPhone on its success.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Palm Pre: A Smartphone Not Quite Smart Enough - BusinessWeek

The closing sentence probably says enough:
    I can't say that I've ever turned to BusinessWeek for my Consumer Electronics news / reviews / commentary.
    We just have to wait for Apple products to go out of fashion just like everything else has done in history.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    You are such an Apple hater. What have they ever done to you? I mean, in another thread you alleged that Walt Mossberg lied about the Pre crashing. Do you actually realize what you type?

Let me put it in other terms.

You said that a senior technology columnist for the Wall Street Journal, after giving the Pre an overall thumbs-up review, intentionally lied about the Pre crashing in order to make the Pre seem inferior to the iPhone. Is it that hard for you to believe the Pre is capable of crashing? Is it so beyond your comprehension that maybe there wouldn't be a point in falsifying crashes for a review when your review's conclusion is favorable?

And you all say Apple fanboys are annoying? I've listened to drivel like this coming from tons of members here. Every time you people insult an Apple fanboy, you come back with even more ridiculous statements than they made (and let's make no mistake, Apple fanboys' statements are often ridiculous as well). Someone mentions that Pre's 8 GB of storage might be too small? "STREAM YOUR AUDIO!" Someone mentions that the plastic might feel a little cheap? "IT'S PLASTIC, IT'S SUPPOSED TO FEEL PLASTICKY!" Someone mentions how universal search isn't universal because it can't search email, calendar, memos, and notes? "THE iPHONE DOESN'T HAVE IT!"

Hell, every time someone brings up one function or feature that is present on the iPhone but not in the Pre you bash that person to no end, yet you're the first people to rub it in someone's face when the Pre can do something the iPhone can't. I've seen people here discredit entire articles and writers because they've written a favorable review of an Apple product before. It's just technology, but you people are blinded by some notion that you need to be faithful in Palm products to the point of being intellectually dishonest in order to fit in.

I mean look at the title of this thread. "Another iPhone fanboy review". Why? Because the writer came to the conclusion that there are several missing features on the Pre? Go back in google and check for the first reviews of the iPhone. Here's what you'll find:

-Speaker isn't loud
    -No search
    -No MMS!
    -No copy/paste
    -Battery is awful
    -Email isn't powerful
    -Web apps?!

These publications aren't fanboys, they were/are outspoken critics!

I mean, I never once read a review that you people seem to think accompanies every Apple release. There were, and are, HUGE issues with the iPhone, and most reviewing sites have no problem telling you. I remember the reviews well, and those complains and more were repeated ad nauseum, like many of the complaints about the Pre. So somehow part of a review that is negative towards the Pre makes the publication who published they review "Apple fanboys" even though they were also deeply critical of the iPhone a year or two ago? Delusional.
    Last edited by Badandy; 06/04/2009 at 12:47 AM.
    Except uh, this article is factually wrong.

Perhaps most surprising, there are no programs providing fast access to ... Twitter. You have to use the Web browser to reach those services—a giant step backward compared with the social networking experience on competing phones.
    We've been told there's two Twitter apps already.

I suspect many corporate users will rely on the Microsoft Exchange service, which works fine provided your company uses delivery software called Active-Sync Direct Push
    No, the company doesn't need "delivery software called Active-Sync Direct Push," it's something that the Exchange server has supported since the 2003 version.

When two facts in an review are just completely wrong and the thing is as biased as this (don't forget BusinessWeek's ridiculous article earlier today), then yes, the review needs to be dismissed as complete crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    You are such an Apple hater. What have they ever done to you? I mean, in another thread you alleged that Walt Mossberg lied about the Pre crashing. Do you actually realize what you type?

You said that a senior technology columnist for the Wall Street Journal, after giving the Pre an overall thumbs-up review, intentionally lied about the Pre crashing in order to make the Pre seem inferior to the iPhone. Is it that hard for you to believe the Pre is capable of crashing? Is it so beyond your comprehension that maybe there wouldn't be a point in falsifying crashes for a review when your review's conclusion is favorable?

And you all say Apple fanboys are annoying? I've listened to drivel like this coming from tons of members here. Every time you people insult an Apple fanboy, you come back with even more ridiculous statements than they made (and let's make no mistake, Apple fanboys' statements are often ridiculous as well). Someone mentions that Pre's 8 GB of storage might be too small? "STREAM YOUR AUDIO!" Someone mentions that the plastic might feel a little cheap? "IT'S PLASTIC, IT'S SUPPOSED TO FEEL PLASTICKY!" Someone mentions how universal search isn't universal because it can't search email, calendar, memos, and notes? "THE iPHONE DOESN'T HAVE IT!"

Hell, every time someone brings up one function or feature that is present on the iPhone but not in the Pre you bash that person to no end, yet you're the first people to rub it in someone's face when the Pre can do something the iPhone can't. I've seen people here discredit entire articles and writers because they've written a favorable review of an Apple product before. It's just technology, but you people are blinded by some notion that you need to be faithful in Palm products to the point of being intellectually dishonest in order to fit in.
    Wow, my friend, calm your ovaries. I am an equal oppertunity hater. I own Mac's and PC's and I work with both of them as well. So don't go all fanboyish on me TY very much . If you have a problem, you can take it up in a PM .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Wow, my friend, calm your ovaries. I am an equal oppertunity hater. I own Mac's and PC's and I work with both of them as well. So don't go all fanboyish on me TY very much .
    And I know you put a smiley at the end, but that's just the point. I'm critical of some people who bash the iPhone for no reason and I become a fanboy myself! No longer can someone have gripes with a product and still like it. It's all or nothing. Never mind the fact that I've owned every Palm PDA ever released besides the Palm VII. Never mind the fact that my first smartphone was a Treo. If I even try to defend the iPhone, defend Apple, or point out all of you Pre fanboys' lunacy, I'm labeled one in return!

The iPhone sucks in some ways. It's a game-changer in others. That doesn't need to be argued, because you all know it. You acknowledge it every time you mention it as the Pre's competition, every time you hurl insults at it. It's like USC in football. They're so good every year that people just hate them all across the country even if they don't know about the program. Similarly, the Pre is going to be an awesome phone it looks like. But does it have some issues? Sure! But the first time someone tries to bring it up they are dismissed by all the people who think the Pre is perfect and that anyone who doesn't agree is an Apple fanboy.

-----------------------------
    Dude, take a look at your life.

You really have nothing else better to do than read up on a forum about a product you probably have no interest in buying and bashing the people who criticize your precious iPhone?

It's not like iPhone fanboys aren't poking holes in our modest Pre bubble every chance they get.

Get a grip, turn off your Macbook, and go outside and get some sunlight on your skin. Smell a flower. Pet a duck. Whatever.

Just detach yourself from whatever it is that makes you think that all the world is out to get you. Try smiling once in a while. Geez!
    Who said the Pre was perfect? Hell, I would rather it not be a slider...just one more thing to break.

@TREOpalooza: I wouldn't recommend petting a duck, they have a nasty bite

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Who said the Pre was perfect? Hell, I would rather it not be a slider...just one more thing to break.
    That's the thing. No one ever says it's perfect. But the second someone says something that could be problematic, they're dismissed as a hater because they implied it wasn't completely perfect. You said in another thread that Walt Mossberg was lying about apps crashing in order to make the Pre look worse than it was!

EDIT @ Eguy: I fear you think I'm attacking you here. It's more a tone of disbelief at the allegation rather than actually being mad or needing to settle down. PM's aren't necessary, I don't see a problem.
    Last edited by Badandy; 06/04/2009 at 12:56 AM.
    That's the thing. No one ever says it's perfect. But the second someone says something that could be problematic, they're dismissed as a hater because they implied it wasn't completely perfect. You said in another thread that Walt Mossberg was lying about apps crashing in order to make the Pre look worse than it was!
    I said he was probably exaggerating. Settle down dude. This does not need to keep going on in here, you can take it to a PM if need be.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza View Post
    -----------------------------
    Dude, take a look at your life.
    It's 10:50 at night and I'm about to go to sleep because I have work in the morning. I happen to enjoy my life and enjoy my work. When it's not summer I go to a university that I love attending. My life's pretty good, thanks.

You really have nothing else better to do than read up on a forum about a product you probably have no interest in buying and bashing the people who criticize your precious iPhone?
    I am 80% sure I will be getting a Pre in the next four months.

It's not like iPhone fanboys aren't poking holes in our modest Pre bubble every chance they get.
    I'm sure they are. That gives you an excuse to? The iPhone has an annoyingly low speaker volume. The Pre is unable to search calendar items. You see that? I just named one downside on each of these products without calling the other one juvenile names and dismissing their gripes as illegitimate.

Get a grip, turn off your Macbook, and go outside and get some sunlight on your skin. Smell a flower. Pet a duck. Whatever.
    I play basketball 3 hours per day. I get plenty of exercise (even outside! *gasp*), I'm not on my computer the whole day. Thank you, yet again, for the life advice.

Just detach yourself from whatever it is that makes you think that all the world is out to get you. Try smiling once in a while. Geez!
    And here you are, being patronizing. As if my three paragraph criticism of Pre fanboys was so time-consuming and emotionally draining I have no time for human relationships or a shot at happiness.
    apple just sucks! lol jk, but pre > iphone no matter what u say, web on phone is all that matters
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prekilla View Post
    pre > iphone no matter what u say, web on phone is all that matters
    Have you gotten to play with the Pre for so long where you can definitively say the web on the phone is better? Because if you have, that's your opinion and I really can't dispute an opinion you have. Although I admit I do like being able to receive emails, look up directions, and look up numbers on the internet while being on a phone call...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Have you gotten to play with the Pre for so long where you can definitively say the web on the phone is better? Because if you have, that's your opinion and I really can't dispute an opinion you have. Although I admit I do like being able to receive emails, look up directions, and look up numbers on the internet while being on a phone call...
    Wish we could do that too. Oh well. I don't think I would be in that kind of situation often.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Well, iphone fanboy or not. I will agree with you on something and that is on your statement of USC football. Woot Woot, Go Trojans
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    And I know you put a smiley at the end, but that's just the point. I'm critical of some people who bash the iPhone for no reason and I become a fanboy myself! No longer can someone have gripes with a product and still like it. It's all or nothing. Never mind the fact that I've owned every Palm PDA ever released besides the Palm VII. Never mind the fact that my first smartphone was a Treo. If I even try to defend the iPhone, defend Apple, or point out all of you Pre fanboys' lunacy, I'm labeled one in return!

The iPhone sucks in some ways. It's a game-changer in others. That doesn't need to be argued, because you all know it. You acknowledge it every time you mention it as the Pre's competition, every time you hurl insults at it. It's like USC in football. They're so good every year that people just hate them all across the country even if they don't know about the program. Similarly, the Pre is going to be an awesome phone it looks like. But does it have some issues? Sure! But the first time someone tries to bring it up they are dismissed by all the people who think the Pre is perfect and that anyone who doesn't agree is an Apple fanboy.
    Gawd, enough already. It seems you are on here for no other purpose than to rabble rouse. Just because some of us are excited for a product that is not the iPhone does not make us Pre fanboys, or Apple/iPhone haters. With that "logic", you are the one taking the all-or-nothing approach. Please do not justify your ad hominem attacks upon posters to this site (including myself) as mere debate. You know and I know you're just picking a fight. Be excited with the rest of us that the Pre is out on Saturday. Otherwise, chill.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmod View Post
    Gawd, enough already. It seems you are on here for no other purpose than to rabble rouse.
    I'm on here to learn more about a product I will most likely end up buying. Excuse me for just wandering in on logical fallacies, hypocrisy, and all around idiocy and trying to call it out.

Just because some of us are excited for a product that is not the iPhone does not make us Pre fanboys, or Apple/iPhone haters. With that "logic", you are the one taking the all-or-nothing approach.
    But I'm not taking an all or nothing approach. I praise both the iPhone and the Pre and realize that the iPhone can be legitimately criticized.

Please do not justify your ad hominem attacks upon posters to this site (including myself) as mere debate.
    Where did I attack you personally? I must have forgotten in all of my rabble-rousing.
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This back and forth between you two is doing two things:

1) Inducing a jaw-shattering yawn,

2) Wasting precious bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    2) Wasting precious bandwidth.
    The Pre hasen't been released yet. You don't even know what wasting precious bandwidth is lol.