Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was driving away from a Sprint store tonight when I remembered something that's been making me second-guess a Day 1 or even up to a Day 60 purchase of the Pre.

I wasn't paying close attention at the time, but this is something that I remember from the launch of the very first iPhone: it was super-expensive and it was available at whatever memory level (one model? at 4GB? is that right?).

Then (this part I verified with a friend who'd purchased one of those), a mere 60 days later, they announced a new 8GB version. And weren't both the 8GB and the 4GB lots less expensive than the initial version? Did they even release them right away?

Anyway, the early, early adopters were left with rather a bad taste in their mouth.

Now, as anemic as the 8GB for the Pre seemed even just 5 months ago, and with Apple expected to announce new iPhones at 16GB and 32GB (are they expected to retire their 8GB level?), can Palm be on the road to an analogous early-adopter-abusing update to the Pre? Especially as a response to the increased capacities of the coming iPhones?

In other words, what do you think the possibility is that Palm announces/releases a 16GB Pre within, say, even 3 months? Do we have any reason to believe that they wouldn't do that to us?

I don't know if Rubinstein would have been there at Apple when those decisions were being made, but what about other key ex-Apple Palm folks? Could any of the folks who participated in or were sympathetic to that Apple insidiousness have joined and influenced Palm and the Pre?

Hmmmm...argh
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Iphones have always been released at 8/16gb versions ($199/299 respectively).

I have never heard of a 4gb Iphone though I have heard the rumors of new Iphones being 16/32gb for the same price points but we will have to wait and see on that.

In my opinion, 8gb is plenty as the Pre isn't going to replace my 32gb Ipod touch as a media player.
    I do believe when the Iphone was first released generation 1 there was initially a 4GB model
    According to the wiki entry (I know, I know ....) the iPhone was released on June 29, 2007 in 4GB and 8GB models at $499 and $599 respectively.
    You might get something in 6 months. If I were Palm, I'd like the units to get beat up in the field so I could figure out what needs improvement. Then spin a hardware rev to fix up those things. 6 months will also be the time when Verizon gets their phone. The timing would be right then to get new hardware out.
    I use my ipod for my music... not gonna use it for music
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post

I don't know if Rubinstein would have been there at Apple when those decisions were being made, but what about other key ex-Apple Palm folks? Could any of the folks who participated in or were sympathetic to that Apple insidiousness have joined and influenced Palm and the Pre?
    Hmmmm...argh
    A lot of folks here for some reason like to talk about Rubinstein and McNamee like they run Palm now and make the decisions there. They don't. Rubinstein is a designer / engineer and makes the phones. That's all. McNamee is the money man. That's all.

Sure, Palm likes to focus on these colorful guys for their media campaign, but that's simply to distract you from the fact that Palm is still run by the same execs that screwed you time and again over the last several years. Don't let them dangle those shiny keys in front of your face and distract you from what you already know about the company and its leadership.
  8.    #8  
    Hm, so as much as I love Wikipedia, I knew it was incomplete on this issue, so i did a little googling, and here's my reconstruction of events...

I'll accept their initial date of release: June 29, 2007. It was then available in 4GB and 8GB versions at $499 and $599, respectively. These are a couple of references for that:
    This one's a pre-release rumor:
    MacDailyNews - RUMOR: Apple iPhone 4GB for $299, 8GB for $399 with 2-year AT&T contract?
    This one refers to the pricing:
    The iPhone goes on sale, finally - Computerworld

Then, on September 5, 2007, they phased out the 4GB model, and cut the 8GB model to $399. Apple devotees and early adopters were furious, apparently flooding Apples forums in enough numbers and with enough vitriol for them to shut down said forums and start deleting threads. Reference:
    Apple announces new gear; Screws early adopters : Macenstein
    MacDailyNews - Apple lowers 8GB iPhone price to $399 for holiday season; iPhone sales on track

A mere day later, on Sept 6, 2007, Steve Jobs backed up and apologized, offering a $100 Apple Store credit:
    See? It never hurts to ***** : Macenstein
    Jobs iPhone rebate turnaround: $100 store credit iPhonestalk.com
    Apple apologizes, offers $100 credit to early iPhone buyers iPhonestalk.com
    Apple - To all iPhone customers

Leaving aside the question of whether you would use/need the additional 8GB of space, do you think the new Palm would pull something like that? Rubinstein is reportedly a 20-year coworker (even, "protege"?) of Steve Jobs...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I was driving away from a Sprint store tonight when I remembered something that's been making me second-guess a Day 1 or even up to a Day 60 purchase of the Pre.

I wasn't paying close attention at the time, but this is something that I remember from the launch of the very first iPhone: it was super-expensive and it was available at whatever memory level (one model? at 4GB? is that right?).

Then (this part I verified with a friend who'd purchased one of those), a mere 60 days later, they announced a new 8GB version. And weren't both the 8GB and the 4GB lots less expensive than the initial version? Did they even release them right away?

Anyway, the early, early adopters were left with rather a bad taste in their mouth.

Now, as anemic as the 8GB for the Pre seemed even just 5 months ago, and with Apple expected to announce new iPhones at 16GB and 32GB (are they expected to retire their 8GB level?), can Palm be on the road to an analogous early-adopter-abusing update to the Pre? Especially as a response to the increased capacities of the coming iPhones?

In other words, what do you think the possibility is that Palm announces/releases a 16GB Pre within, say, even 3 months? Do we have any reason to believe that they wouldn't do that to us?

Hmmmm...argh
    Apple had two versions at launch- 4GB and 8GB. They discontinued the 4GB shortly thereafter, in addition to lowering the price $200. They gave early adopters $100 in Apple $$ to appease the masses.

I think Apple is shortly going to find that no amount of memory is going to be enough. The closer that these phones come to being full fledged computers, the closer people are going to expect computer-like memory. As is, 8GB was not enough on my Gen 1 iPhone, and 16GB is not enough on my Gen 2 iPhone. What I've realized, is that I'm going to have to buy a (hopefully) 64 GB iPod Touch to store my music to complement my Pre, and I'm ok with that.

The Pre will have more memory soon, sure. Don't think it matters, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    Iphones have always been released at 8/16gb versions ($199/299 respectively).
    Oh my God, where have you been? The original iPhone was released at 4 GB for $500 and 8 GB for $600. Later, to the dismay of early adopters, the price on the 8 GB was dropped to $400 and the 4 GB was discontinued.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    A lot of folks here for some reason like to talk about Rubinstein and McNamee like they run Palm now and make the decisions there. They don't. Rubinstein is a designer / engineer and makes the phones. That's all. McNamee is the money man. That's all.

Sure, Palm likes to focus on these colorful guys for their media campaign, but that's simply to distract you from the fact that Palm is still run by the same execs that screwed you time and again over the last several years. Don't let them dangle those shiny keys in front of your face and distract you from what you already know about the company and its leadership.
    Oops, sorry, I missed your post as I was reconstructing events...

So...hm, are you suggesting that Palm's history and current leadership who's "screwed [us] time and again over the last several years" wouldn't pull a Day 60 16GB Pre announcement?

Or are you suggesting that we can expect Palm to wait way too long before putting out anything new (form factor, for instance, as witness Treos 600, 650, 680, 700w, 700wx, 700p, 755), with what seems like insufficient memory at each iteration, or any Web OS updates, etc., which seems rather more consistent with that several years' history?
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 06/03/2009 at 01:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post

You have not done your homework. Ruby is the Executive Chairman of the board at Palm. He in fact DOES run the company. Roger as the main investor has plenty of input as well.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Really i got a 2gig card right now in my Vermizon z6tv and it not even half full, vids, camera pics, some music, etc. Honestly for the vast majority of peeps 8gigs is going to be fine. If the Palm Pre phone works well as a cell phone (which the ipoo 3g doesnt) works smoothly with popular legacy plam applications and works well 95% of the promise features and new applications from day one without at the usually winblows mobile device prat fall (not stable till the 15th firmware patch) Most people wont mind the 8gb limit.
    I just have to doubt that Palm will release a new version of the Pre in anything less than six months. I think they'll be enjoying the Pre's success and banking some cash for future innovations. Even if it were only a storage increase, it would still be an unnecessary/unwelcome increase in costs so soon in the product's lifecycle.

Between six and twelve months from now, however, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 4G version released. At that point, it would make some sense to increase storage as well.

Of course, this speculation and $.25 will get you a cup of coffee. For myself, I understand completely that I'm on the bleeding edge here, but I've pretty much grown accustomed to buying a new gadget only to find it superseded within months. I guess that's what makes the whole thing so much fun...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I figure that I'll be upgrading in 12-18 months to the then current model (nice Premier benefit) with (hopefully) 4G and 32GB of storage. Until then, I can make do with 7GB or so. I have an 8GB iPod nano, and 8GB is plenty. I just rotate my music every month or so. I've got a 50+GB library of non-DRM'd music - had lots of CD's! - and it hasn't been a problem yet. To store my entire collection, I'd need a 64GB device, and don't even get me started on video. So, until these things are 1TB+, compromises are going to have to be made somewhere along the line by most of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You have not done your homework. Ruby is the Executive Chairman of the board at Palm. He in fact DOES run the company. Roger as the main investor has plenty of input as well.
    LOL. And yo have no idea what the meaning of what you're saying is. Let me school you: beinig executive chairman just means he got a good chunk of stock and gets to use the good chair at board meetings. On TV maybe the chairman gets to unilaterally make decisions but not in real life. The wholde board votes to decide the direction of the company and one of the decisions they make is whom they hire to actually run the company (what we're talking about). The person the board has hired to run the company is still CEO and president Ed Colligan (who is also a managing director the same as Rubinstein). Nothing has changed in that regard since Rubinstein joined the board. McNamee also sits on the board.

Aside from being one of many people on the board, the only running of the company Rubinstein does is run the R&D and engineering departments. Ed Colligan runs the entire company and is his boss.

Doing a quick Wikipedia search without actually understanding what you are parroting back just makes you look really stupid.
    well.. yeah.. i am an early adopter from the treo300 days when everything got erased if you lost your battery charge... i fully expect a new phone in 6 to 12 months.. why not???... Hate to pay for it but if its out and great..i will... likely after 1 year tho to get upgraded or figure out some honest way to upgrade early... early adopters who just gotta have it, just gotta have it! That's what this forum is all about right now. My Treo755p and its ancestors... which once made me feel like an early adopter and "gadget freak" is sooo dated I am embarrased to use it sometimes. Palm knows this and knows EVERY Treo owner at a bare minimum will ultimately switch to a Pre... sooner rather than later if the cost is right.... everyone else is up in the air I suppose... If you read Engadget at least 3 times a day and don't own an iphone you are pretty much a major candidate for a Pre as well in Palm's eyes... as long as you are ok with Sprint... I LOVE Sprint and will NEVER change carriers for any phone tho.... just my $.02
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxxx View Post
    Really i got a 2gig card right now in my Vermizon z6tv and it not even half full, vids, camera pics, some music, etc. Honestly for the vast majority of peeps 8gigs is going to be fine.
    Then why do Apple have a 16GB iPhone, with a 32GB one rumoured? Flash memory is incredibly cheap, and some people do want higher capacity.

Palm used to be in the vanguard of convergent devices, but now Palm fans are advocating carrying a separate (and inferior) iPod?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Then why do Apple have a 16GB iPhone, with a 32GB one rumoured? Flash memory is incredibly cheap, and some people do want higher capacity.

Palm used to be in the vanguard of convergent devices, but now Palm fans are advocating carrying a separate (and inferior) iPod?
    Because iPhone = iPod. I mistakenly thought I could use my iPhone as an iPod. It's nice to have some music with you, but then you quickly realize that you don't have all your music. And that realization sucks. Don't even get me started on plugging in your phone to use as an iPod, and then getting a phone call and hearing your music mute itself. It's not fun.

The bottom line is that 8GB is fine for a few playlists. It shouldn't replace a stand-alone MP3 player, and nor does it intend to.
    It does for me since I'm tired of carrying 2 devices. Except in situations where it's dumb to take an expensive phone. But yes, my phone has replaced my MP3 players for the most part. They were all sold except two.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast