Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Would it be nice to have more memory? Sure, but I dont think I will need it. Especially when the Spotify app is released.
  2. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Then why do Apple have a 16GB iPhone, with a 32GB one rumoured? Flash memory is incredibly cheap, and some people do want higher capacity.

Palm used to be in the vanguard of convergent devices, but now Palm fans are advocating carrying a separate (and inferior) iPod?
    Flash memory, at least in the sense of "integrated device" flash memory, such as the type used in devices with non removable, solid state memory base - is not incredibly cheap. I find you've used that term very loosely.

Apple (and other manufacturers, who have integrated memory) purchase LARGE quantities of memory from manufacturers, like Samsung, and get vast discounts. Plus Apple, has a LOT of money. Palm, is comparatively - broke, poor, etc.

But by and large, it isn't cheap. Given the rumors of production issues with the Pre, it's possible that Palm either didn't have the cash to order a large quantity of memory from the memory manufacturer; perhaps they don't want to risk investing a LOT of money and the device being a "commercial failure" (in terms of sales; not expectation and consumer reaction), and this is why we have an 8gb device... for now.

Perhaps when they've got profit from device sales, they'll re-allocate money they already have + the profits and create a different device.

All they do is solder larger memory chips to the existing motherboard, and make some firmware changes, it's not "that" difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    LOL. And yo have no idea what the meaning of what you're saying is. Let me school you: beinig executive chairman just means he got a good chunk of stock and gets to use the good chair at board meetings. On TV maybe the chairman gets to unilaterally make decisions but not in real life. The wholde board votes to decide the direction of the company and one of the decisions they make is whom they hire to actually run the company (what we're talking about). The person the board has hired to run the company is still CEO and president Ed Colligan (who is also a managing director the same as Rubinstein). Nothing has changed in that regard since Rubinstein joined the board. McNamee also sits on the board.

Aside from being one of many people on the board, the only running of the company Rubinstein does is run the R&D and engineering departments. Ed Colligan runs the entire company and is his boss.

Doing a quick Wikipedia search without actually understanding what you are parroting back just makes you look really stupid.
    I think no one really knows the operating structure of Palm unless they read the by-laws. There are many companies that give CEOs the real power and there are others who give more power to the board...and then some, over which, the chairman would have great power.

Elavation, being a VC (sort of...well in the same kinda vein) likely brought in Rubinstein to turn the company around. He probably has some pretty strong powers compared to what the former chair had. I would guess that it is to the point where Colligan doesn't make a move unless he gets Rubinstein's blessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Then why do Apple have a 16GB iPhone, with a 32GB one rumoured? Flash memory is incredibly cheap, and some people do want higher capacity.

Palm used to be in the vanguard of convergent devices, but now Palm fans are advocating carrying a separate (and inferior) iPod?
    OR Zune
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It does for me since I'm tired of carrying 2 devices. Except in situations where it's dumb to take an expensive phone. But yes, my phone has replaced my MP3 players for the most part. They were all sold except two.
    Then add the fact that there are as many uses for a MP3 Player as there are types of people who buy them.

For me, I like Large Capacity devices where I can always have a choice of what I want to listen to because I am pretty random when it comes to music. And I don't mind carrying 2 devices. As a matter of fact.......if the Pre's phone quality isn't stellar, I am considering getting a dedicated dumb phone for phone calls....that would make 3 devices.......no big deal to me.

For my wife, though, a 16GB iphone is actually over-kill. Everything she listens to can fit in a 4GB space. She likes 1 device. She would never dream of carrying a PDA, a phone, and a MP3 Player......
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Flash memory, at least in the sense of "integrated device" flash memory, such as the type used in devices with non removable, solid state memory base - is not incredibly cheap. I find you've used that term very loosely.
    I don't know - $2 per GB sounds pretty cheap to me and that's right now - at a peak in price. That means your 16 GB iPhone has less than $32 invested in memory since Apple probably purchased their current NAND stocks when they were $1 per GB. I think "incredibly cheap" is an appropriate description.

But by and large, it isn't cheap. Given the rumors of production issues with the Pre, it's possible that Palm either didn't have the cash to order a large quantity of memory from the memory manufacturer; perhaps they don't want to risk investing a LOT of money and the device being a "commercial failure" (in terms of sales; not expectation and consumer reaction), and this is why we have an 8gb device... for now.
    The reality is that flash memory is quite cheap when you buy at the rate Apple does. They are often the cause of memory shortages in the market place when they go shopping. Palm's problem probably isn't the price of the memory, it's the availability of a steady, sufficient source of the memory.

Perhaps when they've got profit from device sales, they'll re-allocate money they already have + the profits and create a different device.
    All the money in the world won't matter unless Palm plans to buy those chips from apple.
    8GB of music some apps and my Kindle .... its all I need.
    8 Gb is the minimum they could put on the device and get away with it. Palm shouldn't be trying to do the bare minimum to survive and sell the device, especially with a $99 8GB Iphone coming in a month.

16GB makes a whole lot more sense and despite the fanboi's who want to carry two devices I and most other people do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You have not done your homework. Ruby is the Executive Chairman of the board at Palm. He in fact DOES run the company. Roger as the main investor has plenty of input as well.
    I'd have to agree with clipcarl... even now the treo pro has issues but palm has ignored those issues (fixes came from other places, so I still purchased a pro)... I guess we are all to believe that a new and miraculous company will emerge once the Pre is released. Riiiiggghhhttt

Over the years I've worked with both palm and apple... apple is light years ahead of palm in the customer service department. I won't buy an iphone and I'm looking hard at the pre, but the fact is palm has a lot of work ahead of itself if it is going to remake its customer service image. Talk won't do it.

RTT: I think palm should release a 32 gb version around late oct or early nov and price it well... Going to be interesting to see what palm does moving forward... Personally, I'd think they need to create more products than just a phone... comparison to apple in that regard is foolish since apple has a ton of other products (hardware and software). If apple wanted, they could build an iphone and let other products subsidize their phone and destroy palm... lol... well, they need to get off att, but that is another story.

Palm can do well with the pre in the short-term, but they need other products for long-term success. And a touchstone does not count as "another product." lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I currently carry three devices; Palm T|X(w 2Gb SD card), cheap cell phone, and a Sandisk Sansa Express (1Gb) with a 8Gb micro-SDHC card in it. When I get a Pre I'll likely still carry the Express since it is so small anyway. And I'll probably load the Pre up with videos since that is what I do with the T|X and load anything that is audio only on the Express.
    I suspect the 16GB Pre will come out about the time Verizon gets the Pre.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    I currently carry three devices; Palm T|X(w 2Gb SD card), cheap cell phone, and a Sandisk Sansa Express (1Gb) with a 8Gb micro-SDHC card in it. When I get a Pre I'll likely still carry the Express since it is so small anyway. And I'll probably load the Pre up with videos since that is what I do with the T|X and load anything that is audio only on the Express.
    This is similar to what I do and I don't get the people who buy into the Apple system. I mean is it really that hard to carry around a much cheaper/consumer minded non-apple MP3 player that is less than half the size of a granola bar? Since the large majority have Micro SD slots you can bring all of the music you could ever want. 9 times out of 10, I don't even need the player itself. I just take the micro-SD cards, slide them into the USB readers that are as big as my thumb nail, and plug them into whatever I want to listen to them on. Almost everything comes with USB and MP3 support now, my TV, DVD player, Car stereo, etc. More than anything, I bet the next gen Pre comes with micro-sdhc expansion.
    is it worth rehashing the same arguments again in yet another capacity thread?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    A lot of folks here for some reason like to talk about Rubinstein and McNamee like they run Palm now and make the decisions there. They don't. Rubinstein is a designer / engineer and makes the phones. That's all. McNamee is the money man. That's all.

Sure, Palm likes to focus on these colorful guys for their media campaign, but that's simply to distract you from the fact that Palm is still run by the same execs that screwed you time and again over the last several years. Don't let them dangle those shiny keys in front of your face and distract you from what you already know about the company and its leadership.
    Def never felt "screwed" by Palm. Every time I bought a new Palm product, I always knew what I was getting. If you got something other than what you thought you were getting, then that's your own fault. The information was always available.

Moral: Research before you buy.
    I think the next "model" will come with the negotiations with AT&T. If AT&T pushs hard for having an SDHC slot in the Pre, and other mods, they could be first with an upgraded Pre...

The question is if that would make people pay the ETF and leave Sprint for AT&T.
    A lot of folks here for some reason like to talk about Rubinstein and McNamee like they run Palm now and make the decisions there. They don't. Rubinstein is a designer / engineer and makes the phones. That's all. McNamee is the money man. That's all.
    That's all? ARe you kidding. The most important guy in any VC owned company is the money man. In a tech company like Palm or Apple, the second most important guy is the top technology guy. The old guard didn't design the Pre, Rubinstein did. They didn't fund its development, McNamee did. All the major business decisions probably get run by McNamee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's all? ARe you kidding. The most important guy in any VC owned company is the money man. In a tech company like Palm or Apple, the second most important guy is the top technology guy. The old guard didn't design the Pre, Rubinstein did. They didn't fund its development, McNamee did. All the major business decisions probably get run by McNamee.
    Exactly. People that deign to minimize the contributions of Rubinstein and McNamee should ask themselves whether they would even be commenting in this forum today if not for those two.
    I was one of those very early iPhone adopters and there definitely was a 4GB and 8GB version, although the 4GB didn't last very long.

I was pissed when the dropped the price like a month or two later.
    They gave Apple store credit, which softened the blow a little, so I used that to get insurance for the thing.

I payed someone $50 to wait in line for me 'cause I had to work that day.. haha.. it's was about 100 degrees that day too.

Anyway, that's part of the reason I'm waiting on the pre (even if I decide to get it).
    I'm pretty sure they'll have to come out with larger capacity to stay competitive..
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Def never felt "screwed" by Palm. Every time I bought a new Palm product, I always knew what I was getting. If you got something other than what you thought you were getting, then that's your own fault. The information was always available.

Moral: Research before you buy.
    So it's our fault that Palm didn't deliver decent products? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually, McNamee is just one of the money men. He's just one of the founders of Elevation which actually represents a much larger group of investors. Every independent member of the board represents money men (and women) so you are incorrect to think that McNamee is somehow special in that regard (though Elevation as a whole does control a good number of board seats).

McNamee is just a colorful guy so they put him in their marketing to get the fanboys worked up. It's working.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast