Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Four iPhone Models Ranging From 4 GB to 32 GB Coming?

Mac Rumors are reporting a massive increase in the amount of iPhone models that are being offered. If I were Palm, I would be afraid, (very afraid).

Palm/Sprint already have the problem that they're only going to have 2 days of Pre availability before cool new iPhone hardware and software are released and people start to wonder whether its worth buying a Pre or just sticking with/moving to an iPhone.

The Pre is already going to be as/more expensive as/than the iPhone (as prices currently stand), and it looks as though Apple have considered this, and have created a range of phones that will tempt both the features and spec conscious as well as the price warriors.
    And AT&T is supposed to be bundling a cheaper iPhone plan with the low end iPhone as well - something like a SERO of their own... :-) More seriously, I doubt it will be as good as the old SERO plans, but supposedly it will reduce the barrier for new users to go to the iPhone.

This makes sense since their exclusive may run out in 2010... They want to get as many people captured as possible, and they need to go after the lower end market to do that.
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I think the Pre will still hold its own. It will all come down to the feature differences (multitasking,etc...).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I think the Pre will still hold its own. It will all come down to the feature differences (multitasking,etc...).
    But the Pre can only do this if people know what the hell it is. For my part, I know that tech-savvy people know what the Pre is and understand its killer features, but I'm not so sure that the general public will understand this, especially considering the astonishing lack of advertising that has taken place so far.

I know that Palm are going to launch their ad on the 3rd, but looking at the Facebook sneak preview, I worry that it will be too arty, showing off the hardware STYLING of the Pre, rather than focusing on its features. Who knows...
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    as a loyal mac owner and user I have to say they're insane if they think the iPhone will actually be cheaper than the Pre at any size. Part of the appeal of Apple is the high price tag exclusivity and theres no way in hell apple is going to sell 32 gigs for anything less than 500. Just my opinion. Heck the current gen 32 gig ipod touch already sells for 400 and it doesn't even include a phone.
    why would palm and sprint be afraid? at&t network will be so clogged up that it would be no point to even consider going to at&t. I mean cmon theres already problems with one iphone just imagine 4 differnt models, plus the og and the 3g.
    Rumor has it Apple is going to price a 8gb model at $99. Should give the Pre a run for its money at that price. Palm should have never put only 8gb of storage on the Pre, very short sighted of them considering how cheap memory costs are these days.
    and 1 more thing some features will be stripped for the low models so lets wait till wwdc.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Part of the appeal of Apple is the high price tag exclusivity and theres no way in hell apple is going to sell 32 gigs for anything less than 500. Just my opinion. Heck the current gen 32 gig ipod touch already sells for 400 and it doesn't even include a phone.
    I agree, but I'm sure Apple can sacrifice some of this, after all they're unlikely to change the quality or design of the hardware, instead they'll go for the flash memory and perhaps processor power, methinks.

It's not just price point for Apple, it's the beauty of the hardware and software, and ease of use.
    Every time I read about the iPhone I read "blah blah blah AT&T's network blah blah blah". Who cares about the rest when the network sucks bleep?
    Huge mistake on Palm/Sprints part. Pre should have been out 3-4 weeks ago.

Apple is the 800lb Gorilla.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    And what's the deal with having Pre demo units in the hands of Sprint reps but forbidding them to show it off?! Isn't that the whole point? To build the excitement BEFORE the launch date? The mind boggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight View Post
    Every time I read about the iPhone I read "blah blah blah AT&T's network blah blah blah". Who cares about the rest when the network sucks bleep?

You hear this a lot here but you know what? AT&T isn't hemorrhaging subs and the Iphone has been around for 2 years. If the network was that bad you would think they would be the company with retention issues wouldn't you?
    4gb iPhones will kill the iPhone. It's like the RAZR. Nothing can rule forever, and when things become so popular that everyone in the world has one/can afford one, people move on. You want to sell a lot but you don't want to become dirt cheap to do it, kinda like what Macs or the PS3 try to do.

This will definitely be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    You hear this a lot here but you know what? AT&T isn't hemorrhaging subs and the Iphone has been around for 2 years. If the network was that bad you would think they would be the company with retention issues wouldn't you?
    I really disagree with this statement and logic, but I won't get far into it. Just because something does well it doesn't mean it's great and just because something is doing poorly doesn't mean it sucks, there's brand perception, there's factors like the fact that AT&T has the iPhone which would have brought millions of suscribers to any carrier because of it's quality and Apple following, there's too much. As someone who majored and works in marketing, there's so much bursting out of my head from how you've oversimplified something so complicated into rules that aren't valid that I am twitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    And what's the deal with having Pre demo units in the hands of Sprint reps but forbidding them to show it off?! Isn't that the whole point? To build the excitement BEFORE the launch date? The mind boggles.
    Amen to that. I went to a sprint store today and there are Pre signs all in the windows but the reps. act like they know nothing about the phone.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Apple just released iTunes 8.2 this afternoon as well, with the only major change being OS 3.0 compatibility... seems strange for them to do that now unless they were planning to maybe spring it on us next week along with announcements of new hardware!

Holy smokes, it's hard enough to stay focused knowing the Pre is landing on Saturday, and now the iPhone 2009 rumors are in full tilt to boot... information overload!!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by macintoshse View Post
    Amen to that. I went to a sprint store today and there are Pre signs all in the windows but the reps. act like they know nothing about the phone.
    I went to a small independent store and the guy told me flat out that he had one, took the training, and is ready to go. But he's gotten around 10 emails reminding him it's FORBIDDEN to show it at all. He cannot understand the thinking behind this "brilliant coup of advertising" and says they haven't even been given a reason. But he does say the Pre is absolutely revolutionary and blows his expectations away. If there wasn't a group of customers in the store I think he was going to let me see it in the back room, but with folks in his store it was impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Just because something does well it doesn't mean it's great and just because something is doing poorly doesn't mean it sucks,
    So you think it's better to build the perfect device at a loss than it is to build a popular device at a profit? I'm guessing you're not in charge of any revenue streams in your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    Palm/Sprint already have the problem that they're only going to have 2 days of Pre availability before cool new iPhone hardware and software are released and people start to wonder whether its worth buying a Pre or just sticking with/moving to an iPhone.
    Not released, announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    And AT&T is supposed to be bundling a cheaper iPhone plan with the low end iPhone as well - something like a SERO of their own... :-) More seriously, I doubt it will be as good as the old SERO plans, but supposedly it will reduce the barrier for new users to go to the iPhone.
    Really, it's just $10 less a month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast