1.    #1  
    An article at PalmInfoCenter quotes a study over at CNet with the latest marketshare figures for PDA.

Main points:
    • Palm at 50% of market
    • HandSpring bouncing between 20-30% -- doing better of late
    • Sony jumps ahead from 3% to 10%
    • Remaining market (PocketPC and proprietary OSs) have rest of market

So that's Palm OS with 80-90% of the market, and Microsoft with (at best) with 20% of the US market.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    SO I guess I made a pretty good decision a year ago to take my Jornada back when the color issue came out and get me a visor!
    Keep in mind, these are retail marketshare figures which do not include online or direct purchase behavior. That could sway the numbers in a different direction. But it backs up my conviction that PocketPC will never be more than a niche player in the consumer space. Those devices are just too expensive for most poeple. And now that SONY has saved the day (and Palm's ***) with their Clie line, consumers no longer need to abandon Palm devices for the "dark side".
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    And now that SONY has saved the day (and Palm's ***) with their Clie line, consumers no longer need to abandon Palm devices for the "dark side".
    I dunno if I would say that Sony saved palm's ***. According to this thread, sony has as little as 10% of the market share. Although this is alot, the is with more than 5 devices. The edge alone (an admittly poor selling unit) has 1% of the market share. Sony may have saved Palm design wise, but the low price, hardworking units are the one that are saving the company finacially.

BEN
    Originally posted by BEN
    According to this thread, sony has as little as 10% of the market share.
    But Sony's devices have only been on the market for less than 8-12 weeks. Their marketshare is growing. Palm's share is decreasing.
    Sony is gaining fast. They came out with a killer combo and Palm is gonna get hurt again. Handspring did it, now Sony is about to on an even bigger scale. I really think the Steve Jobs needs to step in and get Palm to be more innovative on their own

Here's a quote from a Zdnet article.

Sony's gains in the handheld market--it has been garnering as much as 10 percent of the retail market in recent weeks--come after a weak start. Sony's first-generation Clie handheld was largely panned because the $399 device was viewed as too expensive and didn't offer any groundbreaking capabilities.

"It was overpriced and underfeatured," NPD Intelect analyst Stephen Baker said earlier this year.

But with the introduction of the first of its new Clie devices--a $499 color-screen device and the first Palm OS-based handheld to play MP3 music files--the consumer-electronics giant's handheld fortunes have changed.
    Full story here.
    http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdhpnews01

BTW: a jump from 3% to 10% is huge!!!
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I really think the Steve Jobs needs to step in and get Palm to be more innovative on their own
    Someone had better step in and do something..FAST, or the Palm platform could lose its relevance.

Check this out:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn...demomobile.xml

Here's an alarming quote:
    during last year's conference most vendors used a Palm device or a product made by a Palm OS licensee to show their products to potential customers and investors, but this year a rise in the popularity of the Microsoft platform caused a major shift in the handheld market, Shipley said. Microsoft's attempt to bring its PC software down to a smaller device appears to be winning out over Palm's focus on simplicity.
    As if there wasn't enough bad publicity surrunding Palm already, this is the icing on the cake!
    I noticed that as well. The PPC is catching up I fear that Palm is gonna make its move too late.
    -Mikedemo
    Sony is gonna grow some more. I just read that there's an audio adapter coming very soon for the N610 and S320 and maybe it will work with all N and S series.

Sony is not playing.
    -Mikedemo