Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    Very long video, half of which is filled with crap about how their product isn't the great thing - it's the apps, but the most important part (imo) is at 23:00.

    My apple-fanatic friend was psyched after watching this, only to get shut down by my mentioning of NO multitasking and only push notifications!

    I'd say this is good news.



    Don't have enough posts so I can't provide a link, but could the first person to respond please post a link to the video? (easy - go to apple's websites...iphone tab on top...bottom-left blue icon (iPhone 3.0 software))
  2. #2  
    knowing Apple though, they may actually have multi-tasking on the new 2009 iPhone, but maybe not on 3.0 like they state...they are kind of sneaky with how they word things.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Very long video, half of which is filled with crap about how their product isn't the great thing - it's the apps, but the most important part (imo) is at 23:00.

    My apple-fanatic friend was psyched after watching this, only to get shut down by my mentioning of NO multitasking and only push notifications!

    I'd say this is good news.



    Don't have enough posts so I can't provide a link, but could the first person to respond please post a link to the video? (easy - go to apple's websites...iphone tab on top...bottom-left blue icon (iPhone 3.0 software))

    Um, this was announced months ago. You are just getting around to posting about this now?
  4. #4  
    That lack of multitasking and poor system for notifications hasnt stopped 21 million + people from buying iPhones and iPod Touch's.

    webOS looks to be a better OS overall, but dont kid yourself that the things you care about in a phone are the same as what most consumers care about. Apple knows exactly what their target customers want and they are giving it to them slowly, piece by piece after they have mastered the basic features.

    The reason that none of the supposed 'iPhone killers' have been successful is that they offered some superior capabilities while failing to match the iPhone in the basic ones (browsing, OS polish etc) that most people care about. The Pre is the first phone that not only offers superior features (multitasking, notifications etc) but also matches the iPhone in the basic features that sell smart phones to the consumer market.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, this was announced months ago. You are just getting around to posting about this now?
    Hey - he just joined. It's the right of every new member to come in here and randomly post old, re-hashed "news."

    If you need to multi-task an iPhone, you need only jailbreak it.
  6.    #6  
    ****, i thought this was talking about the new iphone thats coming out.. not just the iphone software that was just released. sorry
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    That lack of multitasking and poor system for notifications hasnt stopped 21 million + people from buying iPhones and iPod Touch's.
    That's an important point: we phone geeks may feel we need multitasking, but the mainstream user doesn't feel the sense of urgency, if sales are any indication. Many of us who loved our Palm OS can testify to the fact that multitasking may be cool, but not essential.

    The reason that none of the supposed 'iPhone killers' have been successful is that they offered some superior capabilities while failing to match the iPhone in the basic ones (browsing, OS polish etc) that most people care about. The Pre is the first phone that not only offers superior features (multitasking, notifications etc) but also matches the iPhone in the basic features that sell smart phones to the consumer market.
    I agree, except that I still think that for many people, it'll come down to screen size and ease of use. People love the huge screen.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8. #8  
    Apple do not want to push multitasking.

    Why?

    Simple Apple want people to develop Apps that use their PUSH notifications system which will be the big announcement.

    What this means is that if you have apps that use PUSH notifications it will be darn hard for you to leave the Apple Universe and switch phones.

    PUSH notification is apples strategy to develop a backend service like BBerry has. Their solution is to tie you into a poor product.

    But watch it being sold as something revolutionary. The dumb public will lap it up.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    What this means is that if you have apps that use PUSH notifications it will be darn hard for you to leave the Apple Universe and switch phones.
    Umm - or you could go to another phone that uses the equivalent of push notifications or better yet, real multi-tasking. I have no idea why you think this locks anybody into the iPhone. Have you ever owned a PDA phone before?

    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    But watch it being sold as something revolutionary. The dumb public will lap it up.
    Plenty of that to go around. I hear some people are willing to pay a 300% markup for a phone dock that requires a phone to be in contact with it, is slower charging than a direct connection, but because the phone is held in place by a magnet rather than a custom clip, it is considered revolutionary and they're lapping it up!
  10. #10  
    ^^
    But... but I can use it as a speakerphone, man!



    Disclosure: I am getting the Touchstone at launch.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Umm - or you could go to another phone that uses the equivalent of push notifications or better yet, real multi-tasking. I have no idea why you think this locks anybody into the iPhone. Have you ever owned a PDA phone before?

    Plenty of that to go around. I hear some people are willing to pay a 300% markup for a phone dock that requires a phone to be in contact with it, is slower charging than a direct connection, but because the phone is held in place by a magnet rather than a custom clip, it is considered revolutionary and they're lapping it up!
    I must have missed where it was said touchstone was slower charging. Link?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    ^^
    But... but I can use it as a speakerphone, man!
    I hear the magnet distorts the speaker.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Apple do not want to push multitasking.

    Why?

    Simple Apple want people to develop Apps that use their PUSH notifications system which will be the big announcement.

    What this means is that if you have apps that use PUSH notifications it will be darn hard for you to leave the Apple Universe and switch phones.

    PUSH notification is apples strategy to develop a backend service like BBerry has. Their solution is to tie you into a poor product.

    But watch it being sold as something revolutionary. The dumb public will lap it up.
    Not to mention, it's only a matter of time til Apple starts charging for the use of this push notification system. Sure it seems nice, but Apple will sooner or later add another revenue stream either charging the developers or the customers an added fee for the usage of this push system. They've already added a secondary subscription system to the iPhone 3.0 to make you pay monthly for apps or pay for basically any kind of upgrade. It'll just be another way for Apple to milk money out of users.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    That's an important point: we phone geeks may feel we need multitasking, but the mainstream user doesn't feel the sense of urgency, if sales are any indication. Many of us who loved our Palm OS can testify to the fact that multitasking may be cool, but not essential.



    I agree, except that I still think that for many people, it'll come down to screen size and ease of use. People love the huge screen.
    There are MANY more factors that go into the popularity of a phone than features: Marketing, Coolness (what everyone else is doing), network, etc. Don't kid yourself by oversimplifying the situation.
  15. #15  
    Question: is multi-tasking a big deal on a phone? I found the iphone to be the fastest pda i have ever used, and apps start up near instantly. If switching between apps is that fast, is it really that necessary? I have been a longtime winmo user and find that the OS multitasks, but it's just alot slower than the iphone anyway.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    There are MANY more factors that go into the popularity of a phone than features: Marketing, Coolness (what everyone else is doing), network, etc. Don't kid yourself by oversimplifying the situation.
    But that was sort of my point. Folks get fixated on which phone has better features, such as multi-tasking. I have a ton of people at work who use iPhones, and for them it invariably comes down to the fact that (a) it does what they want, and (b) the screen and interface are cool.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17. #17  
    I do hope that a lot of people realize that not everyone in the country(for example) spend thier time looking at forums for the latest and new information.

    And I could easily say more than 50% of Iphone users DO NOT get their information from forums at all. All the people I know, maybe excluding one, are not savvy with their Iphone at all.... its just all about the flashiness(But to us lack there of) of the OS, and the bright shiny apps that comes out.

    Case in example... my roommate has had an Iphone for 2 years, even got the new 3g one.... I have had a Touch for the last year now. I can do if not more with my Touch than he could even possibly know about with his Iphone. But that is also because I frequent forums and have learned the in and outs of my phone.

    He gets pretty mad when he cant view a website do to no flash capabilities, but I can easily go on Skyfire and let him find whatever he needed. His answer to it? Well its still an Iphone the greatest thing in the world....... NO.

    Sorry to me... an Iphone is just a gimmicky fad, just has a nice OS.... which I hope WebOs completely knocks out. And multitasking is a huge right hook for Palm.

    Long post I know.... but I can easily say that 75% of Iphone users dont even know about multitasking.... they just know they have an Iphone like on the commercial.... sorry I need more than just a gimmick phone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Question: is multi-tasking a big deal on a phone? I found the iphone to be the fastest pda i have ever used, and apps start up near instantly. If switching between apps is that fast, is it really that necessary? I have been a longtime winmo user and find that the OS multitasks, but it's just alot slower than the iphone anyway.
    Multi-tasking on the Pre will be good as long as it doesn't get bogged down like WinMo. With the iPhone being so quick to open applications it hasn't bothered me at all that I can't use more than one app at once. I would rather have my phone be really good at the things it can do than be able to do a bunch of things badly.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Question: is multi-tasking a big deal on a phone? I found the iphone to be the fastest pda i have ever used, and apps start up near instantly. If switching between apps is that fast, is it really that necessary? I have been a longtime winmo user and find that the OS multitasks, but it's just alot slower than the iphone anyway.
    I find it to be kind of a big deal to me. On my WinMo Treo 700wx, I tend to have at least 3-4 apps open at a time. If you can't see the reasoning behind multitasking, then that shouldn't concern you.

    I'm a big multitasker, mobile and desktop. On my desktop I'll always have a minimum of 4 apps running, web browser will have at least 5 tabs alone. (I rarely see my desktop background). On my mobile, I'll have IRC, Email, Messaging, Web browser, PocketTwit(twitter) all constantly open at once, for most of my needs.

    Maybe I have ADD or something, but I like to have multiple flows of information available to me at once instead of focusing on one at a time.
  20. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    That's an important point: we phone geeks may feel we need multitasking, but the mainstream user doesn't feel the sense of urgency, if sales are any indication. Many of us who loved our Palm OS can testify to the fact that multitasking may be cool, but not essential.
    I agree with that. Multitouch is great but it's not as essential as some make it IF the apps open quickly. And on the iPhone/Touch then I've felt that the apps are pretty snappy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions