Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Question: is multi-tasking a big deal on a phone? I found the iphone to be the fastest pda i have ever used, and apps start up near instantly. If switching between apps is that fast, is it really that necessary? I have been a longtime winmo user and find that the OS multitasks, but it's just alot slower than the iphone anyway.
    Yes it is necessary. I may need to have 4 apps open at the same time to copy and paste all of the info scattered into an email. There are limitless situations where you want to multitask, let's not justify the lack of it on any platform please.

Right now I have 6 programs open on my laptop, and 4 tabs open in my browser. I am currently using all of them for work. The Pre would allow me to do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I find it to be kind of a big deal to me. On my WinMo Treo 700wx, I tend to have at least 3-4 apps open at a time. If you can't see the reasoning behind multitasking, then that shouldn't concern you.

I'm a big multitasker, mobile and desktop. On my desktop I'll always have a minimum of 4 apps running, web browser will have at least 5 tabs alone. (I rarely see my desktop background). On my mobile, I'll have IRC, Email, Messaging, Web browser, PocketTwit(twitter) all constantly open at once, for most of my needs.

Maybe I have ADD or something, but I like to have multiple flows of information available to me at once instead of focusing on one at a time.
    I'm sure it's because you don't like waiting for programs to open. I also usually have at least 10 tabs open in both Firefox and Safari, I also keep Evernote and iTunes open because I don't like waiting for them to load. Since the iPhone opens nearly instantly for me I don't see the need for all apps to run in the background. There are some that I wish would though, like Slacker, Pandora, etc. Not too worry though because I'll have a Pre to go with my iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Question: is multi-tasking a big deal on a phone? I found the iphone to be the fastest pda i have ever used, and apps start up near instantly. If switching between apps is that fast, is it really that necessary? I have been a longtime winmo user and find that the OS multitasks, but it's just alot slower than the iphone anyway.
    "I have been a longtime winmo user" No really? What a great O/S to benchmark the iPhone against. :-) Having used a number of competitors devices, one of the reasons I actually stopped using the iPhone was the lag.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Who knows, maybe this article (New iPhones approved in capacities from 4GB up to 32GB?) portends a lot more variety. Wouldn't it be funny if AT&T has a low-end iphone debut with a SERO like plan as Sprint tries to move upmarket with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I'm sure it's because you don't like waiting for programs to open. I also usually have at least 10 tabs open in both Firefox and Safari, I also keep Evernote and iTunes open because I don't like waiting for them to load. Since the iPhone opens nearly instantly for me I don't see the need for all apps to run in the background. There are some that I wish would though, like Slacker, Pandora, etc. Not too worry though because I'll have a Pre to go with my iPhone.
    With Email, Messaging and Web browser, I guess this might be true. But with IRC I prefer to stay connected to the server and chatroom and read back the chat log if I get occupied and come back to it. This isn't the sort of application that's meant to closed and open on a whim as it also can be obnoxious to other chat goers if I keep disconnecting and reconnecting. With Twitter I like to keep updated with the people I'm following in real-time instead of catching up later.

I also feel like if I close certain apps I kind of forget about them and totally slips my mind on checking back with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Umm - or you could go to another phone that uses the equivalent of push notifications or better yet, real multi-tasking. I have no idea why you think this locks anybody into the iPhone. Have you ever owned a PDA phone before?
    Have you any understanding of applications / os?

Let me explain why it locks you in.

I develop an App on the Pre - its an app that can run in the background listening to an event. The Pre can multi-task.

I develop an App on the Iphone. It cannot multitask. I first have to register the app with the Iphone backend Push service which the Iphone listens to. When an event happens the backened Iphone push server will send a notification to the Iphone which will then give me the option to start my application.

For this app to be available on another platform it would require the developer to essentially re-write a great deal of it as it would be required to work in a multi-tasking o/s as proper o/s would not require the backend push service.

So please get your facts right.
    Try using IM and browsing and playing music/ listening to a podcast at the same time - I do on my Nokia N95.

Wait on the Iphone - using IM would be great - logging in and out every 30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Have you any understanding of applications / os?

Let me explain why it locks you in.

I develop an App on the Pre - its an app that can run in the background listening to an event. The Pre can multi-task.

I develop an App on the Iphone. It cannot multitask. I first have to register the app with the Iphone backend Push service which the Iphone listens to. When an event happens the backened Iphone push server will send a notification to the Iphone which will then give me the option to start my application.

For this app to be available on another platform it would require the developer to essentially re-write a great deal of it as it would be required to work in a multi-tasking o/s as proper o/s would not require the backend push service.

The way that the Pre and Android handle multi-tasking/notifications is much better than the iPhone, but I don't think you're correct in discounting the value of a back-end that can send out notifications. I think it could be very useful to developers since they can build applications that use much less power because they are not constantly using background processes to check in with the server.

Less say that you have 5 applications open and they are all set to check in with their respective servers every 5 seconds, that means every 5 seconds all 5 applications will make a network connection to a server, to me those are wasted battery draining connections and processor cycles used.

I think it makes more since to just have notifications awaken the applications as necessary via a single channel that is optimized for lowered resource consumption that is not dependent on developers making their applications lean.

I realize neither the iPhone or webOS handle things this way currently, but I would love to see the Pre or iPhone adopt all of the strengths of each platform to create something truly great.

Also I'm not sure what you mean saying the developer has to do a great deal of recoding to make it work for another platform. I'm pretty sure that has to be done anyways, if that weren't the case it would take days instead of months for mobile applications to be on every platform.
    A well written app that little processor cycles when it is in dormant mode waiting to activate when an event fires. Also you will have more control of your apps when they sit on your phone.

In the Iphone model the applications will not awaken they will be launched not re-awoken from a dormant state.

Aslo how much flexibility will you have over your application -say 5 people each use it to monitor different events and now you need to upgrade it - first you would need to check the Push server would be able to handle the new request etc..

The Push notification brings an extra set of unneccesary requirements.

Don't forget the rumour is Apple will be charging $0.15 per registered event per user per month.
    Oh yea. Don't forget the rumour. I really don't see that happening, if it does I'll eat my shoe. "A well written app" is the key phrase. Since this OS has a very low barrier to entry I'm sure there will be many who don't know how to properly code a good app. Surely the applications will get better over time and some will be great from the start, but unless they are going to thoroughly test and screen applications I'm not sure it'll happen very quickly or I think the apps will very much lack any consistency.

Your last comment about the five people I don't really understand. Since a push server only has to pass along a single piece of information what is there to interpret? Push notifications do deliver more requirements but so does implementing any type of notification system push or not. I don't understand why we can't just have both.
    iphones are lame...overdone

I apologize - I had no idea you didn't know anything about software development before I asked my questions. So, to enlighten you slightly, no matter what OS you bring a program to, you will have to write/rewrite that program to function within the host operating system. With your logic(?), every piece of software ever written locks you into that device. As a software developer, I can tell you it's a straightforward (and sometimes simple) matter to rehost functionality from one OS to another - especially if there's a published/useful SDK provided ... which the Pre might have someday. Do you have any idea how trivial it is to register a notification in the updated iPhone SDK?

So to recap from one of your previous posts:
    What this means is that if you have apps that use PUSH notifications it will be darn hard for you to leave the Apple Universe and switch phones.
    This is a meaningless statement. For consumers, you go buy a new phone - done. For developers, you re-host your software into the new environment - done. I think YOU may be the only one who's locked into something here. Plenty of other companies have software on multiple platforms precisely because they're not locked in to a single one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12