1.    #1  
    I'm a Visor Deluxe user, and I've recently been reading about Microsoft's new Pocket PC 2002 OS. It's getting good reviews. I also read that it can beam addresses/info with Palm OS machines now.

Is this the Palm OS killer? I know Palm is working hard to innovate on its OS, but will it be enough?

(remember Netscape vs. MS Internet Explorer!)
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    Originally posted by chungmike
    I'm a Visor Deluxe user, and I've recently been reading about Microsoft's new Pocket PC 2002 OS. It's getting good reviews.
    Microsoft has made a lot of nice refinements to the OS, but they are mostly just that...refinements. It's still the same PocketPC OS. Nice, but not revolutionary.

Is this the Palm OS killer? I know Palm is working hard to innovate on its OS, but will it be enough?
    Hardly! Palm and PocketPC are really two completely different types of devices aimed at two very different markets. The Palm is a consumer device aimed at mainstream users and students. It is meant to be used for carrying personal information and simple organization. As such they are simple, less expensive, and the OS has low overhead.

PocketPC is a corporate tool aimed squarely at IT departments. PPC is a full fledged personal computer, that offers more functionality than PalmOS devices, but also has more bloat. As evidenced by the fact that this iteration of PPC now requires 32mb or Flash ROM. Wow! That is one big OS. And they are outrageously expensive. The new HP Jornada devices are priced at $599 and $649 respectively. That's a spicy meatball!

I expect Palm, HS, and especially SONY will dominate the consumer space for a long time. But Microsoft will win the enterprise space without a doubt.

(remember Netscape vs. MS Internet Explorer!)
    Frankly this is a **** poor argument. Microsoft won the browser war by giving away its product for FREE! Until Microsoft begins giving PocketPC handhelds away in the same manner, I don't see the comparison.

As for your choice in PDAs, my advice is to use what feels more comfortable to you. Palm and PocketPC are both very nice products, you can't go wrong with either choice. Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by foo fighter; 09/07/2001 at 02:29 PM.