1.    #1  
    Sony says the 710 is sold out? Already?

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/clie/peg_n710c_index.html

I smell a new Clie coming. I wonder if it'll have Pal OS 4.0 and a virtual graffiti area. If so. I might just buy it.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    An employee at the Mall of Georgia BestBuy told me they are closeout items.

Based on some rumors in this forum, Sony is releasing a 770 overseas, which is just a 710 with OS4.0. I am guessing that is probably what they are doing. Once they release the update, you should have the same equipment.

I just wish a BestBuy near me would get one of them in. 710, 770, I do not care. Just get one. They have plenty of the 320 and 610, but I want MP3.

Oh well. The local BestBuy tells me they will have them tonight on the truck. Guess I will find out tomorrow.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  3.    #3  
    Maybe buy one online.
    -Mikedemo
    The thing is, I am swapping my Prism in for it. I dropped my Prism, and they will let me upgrade since I have the warranty. It is not a matter of finding the 710, CompUSA has them. The problem is, no BestBuy has them. Oddly enough, they are not on BestBuy's website. They were on there last week, with a note saying they no longer take orders for it. Now, the 710 is not listed at all.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I figure they'll just be shipping the US version of the 770 -- i.e., same hardware, but with OS 4.0.

Not that I haven't got a faint hope that Sony did a redesign on the buttons. That might just get me to take a 2nd run at the Clie. (Also, I noticed SanDisk just announced that they're going to make MemorySticks too...)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I have seen the articles (here and on PDAbuzz.com) about the "new" Clies being just the 710 + PalmOS 4.0. But this doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- why not just market the 710 and install the new OS at the factory? Why create a different numerical designation for it? Maybe I don't know much about marketing, but the numerical designation thing has me wondering if there are some hardware differences coming with these new Clie's as well. Compare with the Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum offerings -- the Platinum had the new OS version but ALSO a faster processor (and a different color).

I'm thinking of upgrading soon, and while waiting to see what Handspring's next offerings will be (not expecting much there), I've been at a standoff between the Clie 710 and the Handera 330. If the new Clie includes a collapsible graffiti area and a voice recorder, it wins.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BertBert
    I have seen the articles (here and on PDAbuzz.com) about the "new" Clies being just the 710 + PalmOS 4.0. But this doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- why not just market the 710 and install the new OS at the factory? Why create a different numerical designation for it? Maybe I don't know much about marketing, but the numerical designation thing has me wondering if there are some hardware differences coming with these new Clie's as well. Compare with the Visor Deluxe/Visor Platinum offerings -- the Platinum had the new OS version but ALSO a faster processor (and a different color).
    Perhaps they are worried that people have already associated the 710 with "only" 256 colors. If you went to Sony's website recently, you could see that one of the big selling points of the 610 was the 16-bit color, while the 710 has integrated MP3 functionality. On the other hand, I do think it's a bit weird they are discontinuing the 710 at the same time -- having a different number would make more sense if you wanted to clearly differentiate the 760 w/ PalmOS4.0 from the 710, without.
    I can see why Sony would want to do this. While it may be nothing more than an OS update, it still warrants a new model number. Most people, including salesman, really have no idea about what differences there are in PDA's. Also, it would be pointless to have two products on the market, that aside from OS, were identical. Especially if the price was the same. Very few, if any, would pay for a 710 with 3.5 when they could already get the 4.0 on the same device.

Most people, except folks like us, do not even know you could buy the 710 and update the OS. Even if they did know, they probably would not do it. The smartest thing Sony did, was virtually rid the market of the 710, before releasing the OS4.0 version. I would imagine it has not even slowed down production.

Now that there website shows they are sold out of the 710, I really look for the new model to be out soon. At least that is what I am hoping for. I am really getting tired of waiting.
  9.    #9  
    Sony is still saying that they are still planning to roll out a flash rom update for the 710c.
    -Mikedemo
    If Sony is going to put out a flash upgrade to 4.0 AND is going to discontinue the 710, it would be pretty cool to see a price drop in the 710... that way PDA enthusiasts like us could cash in on other people not knowing that they can upgrade their OS. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but a nice thought.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    is the only reason u own a clie and not a handspring the 320x320 resolution, cf expandelble, and style? i mean how can a mp3 player on a palm be so good? and how can u fit songs on to it since most songs are 2mb.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    is the only reason u own a clie and not a handspring the 320x320 resolution, cf expandelble, and style? i mean how can a mp3 player on a palm be so good? and how can u fit songs on to it since most songs are 2mb.
    The way way you store a bunch of songs is by using the memorysticks. They are not too expensive anymore and they come in different flavors. 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128 megabytes Plus i've heard rumors of a gigabytestick in the works by a third party manufacturer. Getting the music un them is so easy. You just drag and drop to the memorystick as if it were a disk drive.

Check this quote from zdnet

One reason Sony may be selling a unit with so many features for such a low price is that it is trying to push its Memory Stick flash-memory format. The best way to convince developers to create products for the format is to get a large number of Memory Stick-equipped devices in consumers' hands.

Palm is in a similar position to Sony with its handhelds and a flash memory format. Palm is trying to make Secure Digital flash memory a standard. As a member of the Secure Digital consortium, Palm has also been trying to spur other electronics makers to use the postage stamp-size card.

Sony's gains in the handheld market--it has been garnering as much as 10 percent of the retail market in recent weeks--come after a weak start. Sony's first-generation Clie handheld was largely panned because the $399 device was viewed as too expensive and didn't offer any groundbreaking capabilities.

"It was overpriced and underfeatured," NPD Intelect analyst Stephen Baker said earlier this year.

But with the introduction of the first of its new Clie devices--a $499 color-screen device and the first Palm OS-based handheld to play MP3 music files--the consumer-electronics giant's handheld fortunes have changed.
    Sony is making huge gains all of a sudden. I think the 320x320 relective display and the mp3 playback built in has made a huge difference. Palm users want multimedia, we want better audio, we want better displays. And its high time Palm get it in there (as a standard) or more people will gravitate to Clies and iPaqs.

See full article here

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...kpt=zdhpnews01
    Last edited by mikedemo; 09/08/2001 at 10:42 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    a couple more questions. since it has a reflective screen, can u use it in daylight, unlike the prism? and does it use 16bit color? oops, last one, are all apps compatible with it, or do u have to wait for an update.
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
  14.    #14  
    Daylight is not a prob withthis unit. You can turn off the frontlight in daylight. The screen is awesome. Sony actually makes the disply for the iPaq as well.

Yes there are 16bit color apps out but not as many as there will be in the near futrue. Most are imgae viewers and paint programs that take advantage of 16bit color which makes sense. You don't need 16bit color for a word processor or spreadsheet program.

I truly think the best is yet to come.
    -Mikedemo
    my last question was about are apps compatible with it? some apps would cause crashes on the early visor and needed to be updated before the app would work. is this the same with clie?
  16.    #16  
    I haven't heard of any serious incompatabilities.
    -Mikedemo
    Robert,

As a Clie N710 owner and a past Platinum and Visor deluxe owner, I completely agree with Mike. The Clie's high resolution, bright color screen, jog dial, memory stick expansion, and MP3 player give the Clie an advantage over other high-end Palm models.

The high resolution works with most all of the applications that are Palm compatiible. There are a few applications (like bugme) that do not work in high resolution, but there is a simple way to selectively turn-off the high resolution mode for those programs. The Clie is very stable, I have not had a single episode of the dreaded reset loop that use to plague my Visor Deluxe.

I think one of the biggest advantages that the Clie has is that its a Sony product. With the recent release the the various Clie models, it's clear that Sony planning to fully support the Clie. With Sony's eletronic, computing, and financial backing, I would expect that the Clie's will continue to innovate and not(IMHO) be stagnent like Palm.
    Fat's
  18. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    I think one of the biggest advantages that the Clie has is that its a Sony product. With the recent release the the various Clie models, it's clear that Sony planning to fully support the Clie. With Sony's eletronic, computing, and financial backing, I would expect that the Clie's will continue to innovate and not(IMHO) be stagnent like Palm.
    I also use a Clie-n710c, and while I agree with Mike and Fat_Man that overall it's a great device, I actually should mention that support is one thing that Sony is NOT known for. Don't expect the same kind of easy replacement/exchanges that you got with Palm and Handspring. Other possible negatives, depending on what's important to you, are the not-so-easy-to-press buttons (poor for game-playing), common complaints about poorly sealed units, allowing white dust specks to accumulate behind the screen, and the lack of a vibrating alarm. Also, the 710 doesn't come with PalmOS 4.0 (and a user-flashable update is not certain), so if you want to get one, I recommend waiting a month for the 760/770 to become available (it comes with PalmOS4.0 pre-installed allowing among other things 16-bit color)
  19.    #19  
    I've been hearing that Sony is coming out with the update for sure.

BTW: Nice Armor Rob. Does it come with Beam weaponry like mine
    -Mikedemo
  20. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    BTW: Nice Armor Rob. Does it come with Beam weaponry like mine
    No, but it does offer protection against French taunts.