Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    They've drunk the cool-aid and are immune to logic, facts, or just plain rational judgement.
    AKA, the Reality Distortion Field or RDF.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser poster
    he palm pre.. are u serious?
    The palm pre is like a joke... its the lower end.. its the answer for all the iPhone/Apple haters..hahaha.. Its not even a threat to the iPhone.. most people havent even heard of it..

Blah ... blah .. blah ...

for more than the iphone and not to mention the pre is on the worst network in the US.. and if this phone was so great.. it would have been on the verizon network... think twice before getting a pre.. its going to buggier than iphone 3.0 on beta 1..
    ABRIDGED EDITION: My Daddy told me he wouldn't buy me a Pre since he already bot my iPhone 4 me. The Pre sux n e way.

Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Now that i think about it..the pre is not even in the same category as the iphone.. the pre is still outdated.. the iphone beats the pre before it even comes out.. its "pre" beat before the release.. i mean the pre is fat, has a keyboard thats ugly, ugly form style, a stupid OS, less gigs, smaller screen.. for more than the iphone and not to mention the pre is on the worst network in the US.. and if this phone was so great.. it would have been on the verizon network... think twice before getting a pre.. its going to buggier than iphone 3.0 on beta 1..
    Funny, if the iPhone was so good, wouldnt it be on the Verizon network as well then?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Funny, if the iPhone was so good, wouldnt it be on the Verizon network as well then?
    You caught that one too, huh? I wanted to hit "respond", but then realized that I was just looking at a facsimile of not only English speech, but the original comment too.
    I like how typing "n e way" uses more characters than "anyway."
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I like how typing "n e way" uses more characters than "anyway."
    good one
    Well put now that's logic and good thinking.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I respect the iPhone as well but when people ask me whats so great about the Pre, I don't see any must have features we haven't seen before.

I'm getting the Pre because I'm with Sprint and I was going to either go with a BB or the Pre.

Hopefully Sprint blows us out of the water today because its still hard to fathom throwing down money for a splashy UI but doesn't have any features that I would consider 'must have.' Maybe these 'must have' features haven't even been developed for any phones yet.

I use GMail and synergy will be alright but as far as Facebook, not many people I know are stupid enough to post their phone numbers out in the open like that. Or their area code starts with a '716'.

I'm looking to use the Palm Backup and that is actually something that is very enticing to me.

I'm not looking to start a fight at all so don't bother giving me a hateful reply because I won't respond I'm just looking for reasons to tell myself its the right phone.
    Hey... my area code starts with 716.... I'm originally from Buffalo!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Its funny to see a thread on this forum complaining about iPhone fanboys bashing the Pre when other threads in the forum are full of Pre fanboys trashing the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its funny to see a thread on this forum complaining about iPhone fanboys bashing the Pre when other threads in the forum are full of Pre fanboys trashing the iPhone.
    Oh I agree. Fanboys are Fanboys... rants are still funny though... Doesn't matter who they come from.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Well, I'm going to throw in my $.02 here.

I have used the Q and Q9c (which I still own) but I primarily use an Instinct. While I love the phone, it does have its moments of both greatness and weakness. I won't waste anyone's time with the strengths, but I will say that where it failed miserably was the app store. I wanted to be able to have STUFF in my Instinct. Otherwise, it's a nice phone and does everything I want.

So why am I getting a Pre? First of all, I'm an old-school Palm user from way back when US Robotics released the Pilot 1000 and 5000. I had both. I moved up through nearly every PDA version they had but never had one of their smartphones. I never did like the Treos, but the Pre changes everything.

I like the "best of both worlds" of the keyboard, the 3 MP camera, and the snappiness with which the UI moves. I like that Palm is going to have an appstore clone of sorts, and the customization features of the UI (one of the other glaring weaknesses of the Instinct).

Things I don't like include no picture messaging and no hands-free dialing without BT. For those who say this last point is minor is bordering on Pre fanboy territory. I drive 3+ hours a day, and I use my phone a lot. Being able to call someone without looking at my phone is just plain SAFER (yeah, I know, talking on a phone is more dangerous while driving, etc, but as a former traffic accident investigator, I know that talking on the phone while driving is as much a distraction while holding up the phone to your head as it is using a BT headset).

I have spoken with more than a few iPhone fan and when they ask me when I'm going to "get with the system" and trade in my Instinct for an iPhone and I tell them I'm getting a Pre, they all seem to squirm a little. It's as if they know that there's something coming that really can give their precious gadgets a run for the money. I never quite understood why people get so defensive about toys and gadgets, but I guess that's just the way some people are. Personally, I want to get the phone that works best for me and my situation. I have a family plan on Sprint and we pay a lot less than we would if we were with AT&T. We have four Instincts and a Q9c. On June 6th, I hope to make that four Instincts and a Pre (mine).

(Completely OT) As for the original post, I weep for the English language. The posted text is what many kids write like these days. We never wrote like that when I was a kid (and I'm 41), and it would never be acceptable. Heck, even the notes I was handed in the hallway by friends were never that poorly written! My current profession writing, and while I'm not 100% proficient in every nuance of my primary language (or my second language), I do make every attempt to be correct in punctuation, grammar, and spelling. It seems as if many young people these days eschew these "old-time concerns" and just make it up as they go along. Sad. I know not all young people do this, but when I do see it, it definitely stands out.

I don't mean to start any flamewars or cause any bad feelings here, but I just wanted to post where I am coming from, what I've heard from some ifanboys, and a little something extra.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    This is something that we can admire about Apple. They really do know how to turn their followers into raving fans, cult like to be exact.
    Competition is good. It will just force Apple to either have additional features or to cut the price, etc..

I can't believe he said that about the keyboard. I cannot stand the keyboard on the iphone.
    Well, I don't really think iPhone fans are afraid. They're just passionately defending the phone that they love. I've seen arguments just as passionate from folks on this board; after all, just look at the heat generated here on any Treo 800w vs. Treo Pro thread.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm a Mac fanatic who stood in line for both iPhones on launch day, and I'm probably just as obsessed about the Pre as the rest of you. I'm considering plunking down my credit card on launch day and giving it a 30-day test drive... my wife thinks I'm crazy and she's probably right, because I wouldn't give up my iPhone 3G at this point for anything (especially with all the OS 3.0 improvements so imminent).

So, not all of the Apple fanatics are Pre bashers... for me, the Pre is sort of a second cousin to the iPhone, given its DNA... so it's still family, after all... ;-)
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRBTempe View Post
    I'm a Mac fanatic who stood in line for both iPhones on launch day, and I'm probably just as obsessed about the Pre as the rest of you. I'm considering plunking down my credit card on launch day and giving it a 30-day test drive... my wife thinks I'm crazy and she's probably right, because I wouldn't give up my iPhone 3G at this point for anything (especially with all the OS 3.0 improvements so imminent).

So, not all of the Apple fanatics are Pre bashers... for me, the Pre is sort of a second cousin to the iPhone, given its DNA... so it's still family, after all... ;-)
    Actually, it's the other way around... Apple owes much to Palm... just look at those four icons at the bottom. They look an AWFUL lot like the four buttons from Palm's of old! And the icons... that looks like a Palm launcher!??

So I think you have your family tree a little confused.
    I am just happy that they will stick with the iphone and AT&T. More Pre's for people who will actually use them and make them look good. And less bog down on Sprint's traffic.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I am just happy that they will stick with the iphone and AT&T. More Pre's for people who will actually use them and make them look good. And less bog down on Sprint's traffic.
    +1

Leave the iPhone for the kids... we adults will take our Pre's....
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Here's what it boils down to. People spent all this money on a phone and pay >$100/month for the privilege to use the "best phone on the market." If they acknowledge that a new product is better, they will suddenly be spending more money on an inferior product. This is most certainly a minority of iPhone users, but it is a loud segment. The same can be seen in Xbox vs Playstation and Mac vs PC. If you have to be so vocal about your purchase, perhaps you shouldn't have spent so much money. You don't see anyone getting up in arms over a free phone with a $40 plan do you? It's just another example of our wonderful material society.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Actually, it's the other way around... Apple owes much to Palm... just look at those four icons at the bottom. They look an AWFUL lot like the four buttons from Palm's of old! And the icons... that looks like a Palm launcher!??

So I think you have your family tree a little confused.
    Actually, I was only referring to Jon Rubenstein being formerly of Apple, rather than the design of the Pre itself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast