1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I got around to playing with a Clie 710C (and a 610C) last night and to paraphrase the Taco Bell dog, "I think I'm in love". I liked nearly all facets of the device -- there is a little misgiving about having only the memory stick for expansion, but I think I could get over that.

Another thing that I wondered about was the size of the display. It seemed smaller than that of my VDx -- I put the model in the store up next to a Palm VIIx but it was kind of hard to tell. I can't find any measurements on Sony's web site about screen size (only the dimensions of the overall unit). Does anybody have such measurements handy?

I'd also be interested in hearing from Clie owners about being locked into using the Memory Stick. Is it a big deal? Do you find yourself wishing you had MMC, CF, SD, etc. slots?

Thanks!
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    Originally posted by BertBert
    Hi all,
    Another thing that I wondered about was the size of the display. It seemed smaller than that of my VDx -- I put the model in the store up next to a Palm VIIx but it was kind of hard to tell. I can't find any measurements on Sony's web site about screen size (only the dimensions of the overall unit). Does anybody have such measurements handy
    You're correct, it is smaller; I bought a Clie and returned it after working with it for a day (for details, see this posting). The screen size was one of the issues I had with the 710.

I know I took measurements of the VDX and the 710 for my own comparison, but damned if I can figure out where I put them. I remember being surprised by how much smaller the screen size was -- it wasn't insignificant (e.g., it was more than 1/16" difference).

1/8"? 1/4"? My apologies -- I'll see if I have the numbers at home.

The Clie is a great PDA, but it has one or two things about it which get in the way of it being my 24/7 PDA. (The buttons and the fonts were the other major detriments.) I personally had/have no problem with using memory sticks instead of CF.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by BertBert
    I'd also be interested in hearing from Clie owners about being locked into using the Memory Stick. Is it a big deal? Do you find yourself wishing you had MMC, CF, SD, etc. slots?

Thanks!
    The MemoryStick is a versitile format. The only drawback is that currently only Sony devices use them (Camera, Camcorder, Computers, PDAs). You can get MS readers for Macs and PCs which can be a Mouse with MS port built in,a USB reader,or a 3.5 disk drive adapter. The prices on MS are going down right now because there are now third party manufacturers of MS.

Because of the kinds of functionality I wanted from a PDA, I felt no withdrawal symptoms when I moved from the Visor Prism to the Clie 710c. My prism had an SoundsGood AudioPlayer spring board, my Clie has mp3 playback built-in. So now my expansion slot if free for something else.

I really like the MemoryStick. Its too small like the SD cards. But not as big as the Springboard modules. Plus I am able to connect to my Clie and access the MS as if it were a disk drive. I can copy mp3 files,large Tealmovie/Gmovie clips, applications and data on or off just like it were a hard drive. I've even used "Speed Disk" from Nortons Utilities to optimize the MS.

Can MS be as powerful as a springboard module can? I dunno. The Springboards are bigger and would allow more to be crammed into it, while the memorystick is extremely thin bu I'm sure Sony has somthing up their sleeve.

BTW - Did i saw how much I love being able to see the display outside
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by mikedemo

The MemoryStick is a versitile format. The only drawback is that currently only Sony devices use them (Camera, Camcorder, Computers, PDAs). You can get MS readers for Macs and PCs which can be a Mouse with MS port built in,a USB reader,or a 3.5 disk drive adapter. The prices on MS are going down right now because there are now third party manufacturers of MS.
    The analogy that came to my mind was it's like getting oak furniture for your living room -- it's good strong stuff but you are basically committing to getting only oak furniture for the room from that point forward. You CAN get a non-Sony digital camera, for instance, but how much better is it to get a Sony camera with a MS slot? Given that it's Sony, this dilemma may not be as bad as it looks.

Have you tried the MS-to-floppy disk adapter? IF so, what's that like?
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    Well I finally got around to comparing screen sizes between the Clie 610 and the Visor deluxe.

The actual surface area of the Visor is bigger however, the VISIBLE area of the Visor is 2" 6/32 square and the Clie is 2" 5/32nds square. Only 1/32 of an inch smaller. So why do you need a larger glass area and case if the visible area is practically the same? Do not let the smaller screen size deter you. Besides the Clie screen is much easier to read anyways.

I wish Handspring would use the Clie screen for the Visor Pro Color.
    Visor Pro Color
    I am holding both my CLIE 710 and a VDx in my hand right now. The CLIE screen appears significantly smaller (like 3/16" in both directions). However, though this is one of the things that concerned me about the CLIE, it has not been a problem.... Looking more closely at the VDx, I now see what olendorf was saying. If you turn the contrast way up it's easy to see. Anyway, my point stands, in actual use the screen size hasn't been a problem.

As for the fonts, they could be better but they don't really bother me either (but I have excellent vision). The buttons bothered me at first but I actually like them now (I don't play many games though). The up/down buttons are the worst but the jogdial renders them unnecessary.

The MS is fine too, seems pretty fast, a little pricey but that may be changing.

I really like the JogDial and Back button although in many programs, even with JogAssist or JogEverything, the support for this feature isn't as good as it could be. It's also very cool to be able to mount the CLIE as a hard drive and drag 'n drop files to the MS.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    The screen is smaller than most all other PDAs, but that's no problem. The Clie's great screen makes up for that.

As for Memory Sticks, I love the size and all, but I would prefer SmartMedia or CF ONLY FOR THE PRICE. Because they are HUGE compared to MS. I'm a student, and don't have too much cash, so, cheaper memory sticks would be cool.

A 64 MB CF or SM is about $40 at Frys.
    A 64 MB MS is about $60 online.

A 128 MB CF or SM is about $80 at Frys
    A 128 MB MS is about $115 online.

A 256 MB CF card is about $125 online
    There are no 256 MB MS cards yet

It's all about the price!
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .