Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Bored and saw this on wired.com, not an iphone fan but thought it was interesting that apple isn't going for a more nano approach to the next gen phone ...

Pre is still looking pretty dam good if you ask me!!

Gadget Lab Hardware News and Reviews
    Next-Gen iPhone Specs, Launch Date Revealed?

* By Brian X. Chen Email Author
    * May 19, 2009 |
    * 10:59 am |
    * Categories: Phones

154412chinab_2A source closely connected to Apple’s hardware team claims to possess knowledge of the next-generation iPhone’s specifications and release date.

The source told iPhone fan blog Apple iPhone Apps that the new iPhone will launch July 17. Many of the provided specifications corroborate with past rumors that the device will introduce a digital compass and a video recorder, among other features. (The source did not provide a photo; the image to the right is from a past rumor report for the sake of comparison.) Here’s the list:

* 32GB and 16GB storage (up from the current 16GB and 8GB models)
    * $199 and $299 price points to be maintained
    * 3.2-megapixel camera (up from the current 2-megapixel camera)
    * Video-recording and editing capabilities
    * Ability to send a picture & video via MMS
    * Discontinuation of the metal band surrounding the edge of the device
    * OLED screen
    * 1.5 times the battery life of the current models
    * Double the RAM and processing power
    * Built-in FM transmitter
    * Apple logo on back will glow
    * Rubber-tread backing
    * Sleeker design
    * Built-in compass
    * The camera, GPS, compass and Google map combined will identify photo and inform about photo locations
    * Turn-by-turn directions

Overall, if these claims are true, this is a relatively minor upgrade. The most notable new features would be the built-in compass (which appeared in earlier rumor reports), the video recorder and editor (the current iPhones don’t support video recording unless you Jailbreak them), the built-in FM transmitter and the OLED screen (which would improve battery life).

One of the features that sticks out to me is the built-in FM transmitter. I see no compelling reason for Apple to put this in the iPhone, as it is not a feature that users have been demanding, and it hasn’t appeared in other iPods.

Another specification I find strange is the OLED screen. That would be a welcome change because it would look nicer than the current LCD screen. But OLEDs are generally pricey, and if the current price points are maintained, I’m not sure if I believe this one.

Otherwise, the rest of the specifications appear not too far-fetched. If the source is simply taking shots in the dark, then most of these specifications are very conservative guesses derived from previous rumor reports.

What do you think, readers? I’m curious as to whether this list of purported specifications is enough to get you to upgrade from a current iPhone. Or if you don’t own one, will you buy one if these rumored features turn out to be true? Let us know in the comments below.

I, for one, will be standing in line for Apple’s next iPhone this summer whether or not these rumors are true. After all, my iPhone is resting in rice.

Updated 1 p.m. PDT to correct a typo: The current iPhone features an LCD screen, not an LED screen.

Seems as if its not that major after all, seems pretty competitive with the Pre but still in my opinion the Pre takes it with its WebOs and multitasking capabilities ... An FM transmitter is a nice feature but who will actually use it on a daily basis?
    If the OLED screen is true its a bigger upgarde than I expected. Still won't keep me with an Iphone though.

Biggest items in favor of the Iphone are the storage and potential OLED screen.

Biggest factors for the Pre is the multitasking.

It is unfortunately that Palm could have eliminated one of those big ones without much impact on price but unfortunately they didn't.

The FM transmitter is worthless. Compass? Meh not a big deal really. Ram and processo= the Pre so not a big deal. The rest is either = to the pre or not worth mentioning.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I figured I was in the minority... but I've always wanted a FM transmitter on my Palm devices. I love the morning radio show in my area. Plus I like to chime in on news radio stations a few minutes a day.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    It sounds about right because I don't think anyone expects this to be a huge change.

The specs don't impress me. MMS and the logo you never look at will glow at times you're probably not looking at it. Exciting.
    Maybe the FM transmitter is for a "Mr. Microphone" type of app?

"Hey good-looking - we'll be back to pick you up later!" :-)
    I dont know, but to me, the fat middle, the oled seems pretty cool. i also like double the storage. to me, this is a pretty big thing for apple and could potentially draw customers away from the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I figured I was in the minority... but I've always wanted a FM transmitter on my Palm devices. I love the morning radio show in my area. Plus I like to chime in on news radio stations a few minutes a day.
    FM transmitter is not an FM tuner.

FM transmitter will send mp3 stream to your FM radio.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I think transmitter means you can play the iphone on the radio station, not the reverse.

And at first I was taken aback by the OLED screen, but when all it amounts to in the end is better battery life for pretty much the same in terms of use it's not a huge deal.

edit: foiled by The Gekko
    fm transmitters always create interference especially if you use it while driving. OLED screen will be nice, the iPhone desperately needs more RAM and a faster processor. Having to reset my iPhone 3G in order to play certain games should be helped greatly by the increase of RAM. As far as multitasking, the Pre reigns supreme. I know someone beta testing iPhone OS 3.0 and while it is a nice upgrade in terms of speed of the OS, spotlight makes scrolling through screens of apps obsolete, landscape in some of Apple's built in apps, and the just added push notifications leaves a lot to be desired.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Double the RAM and CPU power? I dunno guys--if that means multi-tasking, I think a lot of people will be really excited about this.

Oh well. The Pre is a first generation device.
    The OLED and better Battery life are a big plus. Saying that you still can't remove the battery. I have an Iphone, replacing the battery is a biggie for me. So +1 for the Pre there.

The FM transmitter is a meh gimmick. I live near NYC here in Jersey. I did the fm add on with my ipod. What a disaster here, could never find a decent channel to receive from on my stereo.

The killer though is the storage. 32gb compared to the now puny 8gb of the Pre. Don't get me wrong the 7gb that will be used can be great. Like I said in an earlier post on the boards here. The line that Connery said in "The Untouchables". "He brings a club, you bring a knife. He bring a knife you bring a gun." Palm at minimum should have had 16 gb in storage. Now Apple will use that storgae as a battering ram on the Pre. That is the sad part, it could have been avoided if they had thought ahead.

In the end though I'm fed up with dead zones and edge here with my gen 1 Iphone. PRE HERE I COME!!!
    OLED will be big! The faster processor and more RAM will probably allow for true multitasking (I can see the 'One More Thing' being this). If the iPhone multitasks, then it will only be about the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    OLED will be big! The faster processor and more RAM will probably allow for true multitasking (I can see the 'One More Thing' being this). If the iPhone multitasks, then it will only be about the keyboard.
    if I was already on at&t I probably wouldn't switch. if those specs are real then not many iphone people will switch. I'm still happy I get the pre though. fresh platform, more open, etc
    The next zune and rumored zune phone will have a large oled screen with a tegra processor. I.E. it will make everything else seem two or three generations behind.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Apple will try to outdo Palm and vice versa. This is good news for us consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    Maybe the FM transmitter is for a "Mr. Microphone" type of app?

"Hey good-looking - we'll be back to pick you up later!" :-)
    Hee hee.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    For me it's more ATT vs Sprint and for me Sprint wins by far.

Feature-wise they're competitive but when it comes to apps and media sync the iPhone has a major advantage. It's a shame because in the end I'll have an do-it-all Pre but i'll still be lugging around an iPod for music/podcasts.
    My thoughts are:

1. What is the use of the compass? Seriously, I just don't get it.

2. For myself, I'm not planning on using my Pre as a primary music device. It'll make a great Pandora player, and perhaps podcasts when there's a good player, but for real music and video I'll stick with my Zune. Thus, the Pre's 8GB is more than enough for me--but, I can see it being insufficient for some folks.

3. The OLED screen will be impressive, if true, if only for the improved battery life. Of course, the iPhone really needs it.

4. Even if iPhone 3.0 does end up multitasking, it won't be nearly the experience that it is with the Pre, which was engineered from the ground up for multitasking. And that's in terms of more than just performance--the Pre's interface is optimized for running more than one app at a time. The iPhone's simply isn't. Consider notifications on the Pre vs. the iPhone.

The rest is just cosmetics and playing catchup, as far as I'm concerned. Indeed, I think Apple's a little uncomfortable, given that the Pre's most powerful asset (for me, at least) is its incredible user interface. Isn't that supposed to be Apple's real strength?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post

I hear everyone saying that - IF - the iphone gets multi-tasking capability, then it gets on par with the Pre.

But the WM devices and Blackberries ALSO multi-task?

It's HOW webOS multi-task - that sets it apart.

Can the competition - including the iphone - surpass the webOS USER INTERFACE? The webOS multi-tasking EXPERIENCE?
    We now need a Pre 2 with OLED!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast