Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Software library--perhaps, but it's already got so much integrated, that a lot of those old apps aren't necessary. New ones will come, and they will come quickly. Don't forget that we have nearly ALL of the PalmOS apps available at launch.

Desktop PIM--Why? Either which way, it has been aggressively rumored that there will be 3rd-party solutions very soon.

Phone w/ USB--I don't know about you, but the chances of my HTC Touch working during a USB transfer are slim to none. I'd probably end up with corrupted files.
    Being an apologist for Palm doesn't make these and other software shortfalls go away. It sounds like you're coming from the Palm OS world, so that sub-group may think they've got a great software library waiting for them, but those of us who moved away from Palm years ago expect more from our "revolutionary" () phones.

Since the Pre has some seriously unproven enterprise functions, a business can't afford to allow information into an amorphous "cloud" without better assurances from Palm on security. In the meantime, I can't run a business on "aggressive rumors" and "very soon" promises. By some calendars, Verizon will get the Pre "very soon" - is that the timeframe to which you refer?

My Blackberries and WM phones all work as USB flash drives while maintaining the rather basic ability to make/receive phone calls. I cant account for how you use your HTC Touch, but I've been doing this for years with a lot of phones. If Palm is going to take desktop PIM sync away from us, you'd at least think they could reach the industry's lowest common denominator on USB functionality.
    Software library--perhaps, but it's already got so much integrated, that a lot of those old apps aren't necessary. New ones will come, and they will come quickly. Don't forget that we have nearly ALL of the PalmOS apps available at launch.
    There's not even an alarm, or a weather app for it. That should come stock.

PIM--Why? Either which way, it has been aggressively rumored that there will be 3rd-party solutions very soon.
    Because I want to sync it to my work computer. That doesn't allow anything other than Blackberries to use Exchange. I've been able to USB Sync Outlook with all my previous phones. And why not?

Phone w/ USB--I don't know about you, but the chances of my HTC Touch working during a USB transfer are slim to none. I'd probably end up with corrupted files.
    I've never gotten a corrupted file while transferring Music, Pictures, or Videos to my iPhone. This is just dumb, seriously I have to answer a question to what I want to do when I connect it.

Come to think of it, what are you supposed to do if you answered just charge or charge only when you connect it, what if you change your mind? Do you unplug it and plug it back in? That would be a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Being an apologist for Palm doesn't make the ... shortfalls go away. It sounds like you're coming from the Palm OS world...
    Windows Mobile for many years. Cannot wait to run away from this platform.

Since the Pre has some seriously unproven enterprise functions, a business can't afford to allow information into an amorphous "cloud" without better assurances from Palm on security. In the meantime, I can't run a business on "aggressive rumors" and "very soon" promises.
    Yes, this device is unproven. No one in the RIGHT MIND would pick up a new device like this as their central business device. You wait for it to mature, which might not take long, given the interest in this phone.

My Blackberries and WM phones all work as USB flash drives while maintaining the rather basic ability to make/receive phone calls. I cant account for how you use your HTC Touch, but I've been doing this for years with a lot of phones. If Palm is going to take desktop PIM sync away from us, you'd at least think they could reach the industry's lowest common denominator on USB functionality.
    My WM phones crash enough as it is, I'd never want to try making a phone call while actively transferring GigaBytes of data. I see your argument, but I don't see it being a very big deal.

Does the iPhone let you make calls while in USB-direct mode? Not sure if you can even do that at all--but can you make a call during a media sync with iTunes?

Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    There's not even an alarm, or a weather app for it. That should come stock.
    You know for certain that there is no weather application? I thought I had heard about a GPS-based weather solution. Either way, the stock WM alarm is so terrible that I can't use it anyways. Perhaps you need to wait for it to release before saying, without a doubt, that it doesn't have an alarm function?

Because I want to sync it to my work computer. That doesn't allow anything other than Blackberries to use Exchange. I've been able to USB Sync Outlook with all my previous phones. And why not?
    Why not? It's 2009. Cut the cord. I'm sure you can find some sort of Exchange web connector. I've seen products out there like that. Lastly, if direct USB sync is something you need, you might just have to wait for someone to write an application for that.

I've never gotten a corrupted file while transferring Music, Pictures, or Videos to my iPhone. This is just dumb, seriously I have to answer a question to what I want to do when I connect it.
    So you can use the iPhone, fully-unhindered, while syncing? That would be a surprise to me. I would assume the phone would pause the transfers.

Come to think of it, what are you supposed to do if you answered just charge or charge only when you connect it, what if you change your mind? Do you unplug it and plug it back in? That would be a pain.
    You probably have to unplug it, or tap a button on the screen. That way, in 20 years you can tell your grandchildren that you had to walk 5 miles to school, in the snow, both ways, and then you had push a button to change sync modes... They will recoil in fear and dismay, and most likely will have PSTD after hearing about your hardships.
    First of all good job on splitting up that thread.

Alarm--I don't know for sure, but users that have used it have said there is no alarm and no weather app. Weather app using GPS would be sweet and I agree with the MS alarms suck and not even worth using.

Exchange--Because my work is crazy when it comes to security and they love their Blackberries.

Sync--It pauses the sycing and then starts up again after I've answered the call and hung up. It's great that it doesn't go to voicemail. I just plug it in. It either automatically syncs if those are the settings I want or I tell it to sync manually. Then if I get a call, I answer it, hang up and it picks up right where it left off, all while charging the phone.

As to the last one, nice answer you actually made me chuckle and yes I will tell those stories and it is dumb that you have to answer what you want to do. Just let me plug the damn thing in and drag things to it or charge it.
    So, I just read this, and it'd bother me if I had an iPhone. Basically, when you update to 3.0, you're not going to be able to redownload your applications over the air, apparently? Supposedly it's to prevent piracy, but sounds to be one of those issues where being overzealous in piracy prevention is going to be a huge inconvenience to the consumer.

Apple May Charge for App Double-Dipping
    First of all good job on splitting up that thread.

Alarm--I don't know for sure, but users that have used it have said there is no alarm and no weather app. Weather app using GPS would be sweet and I agree with the MS alarms suck and not even worth using.
    Doesn't Google Calendar allow you to add a weather calendar so that the weather is automatically integrated into your calendar? I'm just learning about it, but I think you can at least add a preferred zip code for weather for a several-day forecast....
    Here is great article that analyzes all the rumored features of the new iPhone and why things like OLED are not likely to be on it.

Rumor Round-Up: Everything We've Heard About the Next iPhone
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234