Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If these are the only iphone improvements, then it's either a pre or a G1 v2 for me. If I could be sure that pre would get a browser voice recognition system, then it would be a pre for sure. My main uses of the device are as a phone and a browser. The voice activated browser on the iphone is great. I've never tried the one on the G1, but presume it's good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    iPhone could have a 4ghz cpu, 1TB storage and 20 days of talk time and I wouldn't bite as long as Apple has draconian control of what apps can run on it.

Imagine if the apps you are 'allowed' to run on your desktop were controlled by one company. It's call fascism.
    I dont know, Palms sdk kind of seems very limited and controlling. Maybe you should look to Windows Mobile.
    ^Yeah, that's a concern. It's not the total control that Apple has of iPhone but it sounds like the WebOS SDK could have some limitations in the initial release. Doesn't sound like Palm will control distribution of apps as Apple does. That is what I'm referring to.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Zune? You are in the minority there. I use a seperate device right now because my Centro has a 2.5mm headphone jack and because Chattermail already puts a heavy load on the battery but I don't understand why a smartphone that is supposed to be competing with the iPhone would encourage me to carry an extra device.
    I am in the minority too then.
    I would NEVER use my phone as my main MP3 Player.
    And I really like my Zune....
    Quote Originally Posted by philips View Post
    Honestly, I don't know if you are just playing semantics, or you misunderstood me....

But....

If - your point is that the Pre is an 'unproven' device, yes everyone knows that. It still has to prove itself in the real-world in terms of 'responsiveness' to inputs.

On the other hand, the point *I* was making, was that the 'design' of the UI - the 'cards' metaphor, and the associated 'gestures' are not only revolutionary, but also INCREDIBLY well thought-out and intuitive.

Even if we go with the blind assumption that the competition makes an extremely 'responsive' device - CAN they 'design' an equally compelling, intuitive User-Interface? I submit to you, no - we will not see such a quantum leap in smartphone USER-INTERFACE for another couple of years.

Oh. And I will also go out on a limb and predict that the Pre's User-Interface will be as 'responsive' as seen in the videos we have drooled over.

I've got ten bucks on it
    I knew what you were saying.
    I got yer back....
    On the other hand, the point *I* was making, was that the 'design' of the UI - the 'cards' metaphor, and the associated 'gestures' are not only revolutionary, but also INCREDIBLY well thought-out and intuitive.
    The cards metaphor is quite clever, but to label it as revolutionary really does water down the term. It's simply a nice evolution from already proven OSes.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I am in the minority too then.
    I would NEVER use my phone as my main MP3 Player.
    And I really like my Zune....
    Hopefully the Pre will have an appeal beyond the Zune user base. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use your phone as your main MP3 player if it was at least as capable as your standalone player.

I have few iPods but I often leave them at home use my Blackberry curve to play music. Its not a particularly good music player but at least it has a 3.5mm jack unlike my Centro. Carrying three devices just gets tedious, particularly when they need three different chargers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I figured I was in the minority... but I've always wanted a FM transmitter on my Palm devices. I love the morning radio show in my area. Plus I like to chime in on news radio stations a few minutes a day.
    You need an FM radio for that, not a transmitter. FM transmitters play sounds from the device onto unused channels.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus
    I knew what you were saying.
    I got yer back....
    Thanks, man .

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philips
    The cards metaphor is quite clever, but to label it as revolutionary really does water down the term. It's simply a nice evolution from already proven OSes.
    "Evolution"?

'Cards'. 'Flick-up' to 'throw-away/close-app'. 'Tap-hold-and-drag' to reorder 'cards'. Main app resizing to allow 'notifications' 'stack' up at the bottom. 'Swipe' horizontally to 'throw-away/close-notification'. 'Quick-swipe-up' to bring up 'App-launcher' without exiting current application. 'Swipe-up-and-hold-to-launch-original-app-DOCK'. 'Half-swipe-left' on gesture area to 'go-back'. 'Full-swipe-ACROSS-center-button-LEFT-OR-RIGHT' on gesture area to switch back n forth between open apps WITHOUT going to 'card-view'.

'Evolution'? Really?

From "Proven OSes"?

Like?

WM? Symbian? Blackberry?

Care to explain the exact "evolution/similarities" with these OSes?
    I would argue that these OS's are just now gaining mainstream acceptance. We've yet to see what is proven (besides the iphone). The smartphone market is young.

Is the mainstream really accepting WM? IMO, they need to evolve..
    Thanks, man .

"Evolution"?

'Cards'. 'Flick-up' to 'throw-away/close-app'. 'Tap-hold-and-drag' to reorder 'cards'. Main app resizing to allow 'notifications' 'stack' up at the bottom. 'Swipe' horizontally to 'throw-away/close-notification'. 'Quick-swipe-up' to bring up 'App-launcher' without exiting current application. 'Swipe-up-and-hold-to-launch-original-app-DOCK'. 'Half-swipe-left' on gesture area to 'go-back'. 'Full-swipe-ACROSS-center-button-LEFT-OR-RIGHT' on gesture area to switch back n forth between open apps WITHOUT going to 'card-view'.

'Evolution'? Really?

From "Proven OSes"?

Like?

WM? Symbian? Blackberry?

Care to explain the exact "evolution/similarities" with these OSes?

Well the card system is almost exactly like the Iphone safari browser cards just taken to the next level with all apps using the system. Flicking to close isn't much different than hitting an X on the corner so again its nice but not OMG so different. Multi tasking OS is already available in several flavors and so are the different notification options.

I mean Palm certainly has dressed it up a bit but I'd say the Pre certainly is evolutionary and not revolutionary. I mean its a great device but could be a lot better if not for some questionable decisions on Palm's part.

The pre also lacks some very basic features, it is more of a bare bones OS right now with not a lot of options. Also the general SDK is fairly limited in what you can do so if things hold they way they are I wouldn't expect any ground breaking apps because right now its actually more limiting than Apple's.

That may change but that is how it is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    I figured I was in the minority... but I've always wanted a FM transmitter on my Palm devices. I love the morning radio show in my area. Plus I like to chime in on news radio stations a few minutes a day.
    I second this. I have always wished for an FM transmitter on my cell phone. It's not a deal breaker and does not sway me one way or the other, but I think it would be a cool thing to have.

Also, I don't really see the need for a compass, but I haven't used one since boy scouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The Pre also lacks some very basic features...
    Like?
    Compass? Sprint has had a compass built in to their navigation service for some time now. I used it once to see what it was. It can show your current direction & speed. It works great but for 99.9% of us, its completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Like?
    A software library, desktop PIM synchronization, no visual voicemail, inability to use phone when transferring files via USB. I'm sure there are plenty more.

The bottom line is, the Pre's interface is a nice evolution beyond the iPhone's (at least in a couple of areas), but it is hardly a revolutionary accomplishment to take a subset of already existing phone capabilities and put a pretty wrapper on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Like?

Groups in contacts, groups for bookmarks, the ability to sync to a local PC, the current sync with Google is for "All" not "my" which is retarded, the low amount of storage, search doesn't search calendar, the internet browser can't save files, there is no file browser, limited options on conference calls, no visual voice mail, the SDK for general development is expected to be very limited etc..

Still a great device but there are plenty of stupid decision and things Palm really should have in the initial release. One of the most common things said on this forum "Oh a third party developer should be able to fix that".
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    Compass? Sprint has had a compass built in to their navigation service for some time now. I used it once to see what it was. It can show your current direction & speed. It works great but for 99.9% of us, its completely useless.
    That compass is reliant upon GPS-tracked movement. The iPhone compass, like that in the G1, is a magnetometer and points to north without your having to move to establish orientation.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Precious.jpg

Must have the Precious.... no tricksies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A software library, desktop PIM synchronization, no visual voicemail, inability to use phone when transferring files via USB. I'm sure there are plenty more.
    Software library--perhaps, but it's already got so much integrated, that a lot of those old apps aren't necessary. New ones will come, and they will come quickly. Don't forget that we have nearly ALL of the PalmOS apps available at launch.

Desktop PIM--Why? Either which way, it has been aggressively rumored that there will be 3rd-party solutions very soon.

Phone w/ USB--I don't know about you, but the chances of my HTC Touch working during a USB transfer are slim to none. I'd probably end up with corrupted files.
    You guys are some kind of people! I can't believe no one's flaming this device. If this same post had been made on an Apple forum about the Pre we'd be laughed at and they'd dig up every minuscule thing they could find to flame us.

It's nice to be hanging with some decent folks.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast