Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Before foaming at the mouth over an OLED screen, you should at least know what it is or see one. Seriously, ask a few friends and you'll get "huh?"
    I think the FM transmitter is a pretty cool and sensible addition. I use the Belkin unit in my car as I don't have an aux input and Apple don't have a dedicated connector for my car either.

What they have to make sure though is that the transmitter is screened to stop interference. The first version of the Belkin was for ipods not the iphone and the gsm radio had to be switched off. The newer iphone compatible version works like a dream.
    That stuff sounds pretty major to me and seems quite worthy of comparisons to the Pre.

Kinda amazing, actually.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    1. What is the use of the compass? Seriously, I just don't get it.
    The point of the compass is similar to the way it works on the G1. It implements with GPS to give more accurate results. Also, it can be used in Street View mode to spin around and view the landscape. I think it's a great idea. It can be done somewhat with an accelerometer, but it's not quite the same. I say kudos to Apple for this one.

2. For myself, I'm not planning on using my Pre as a primary music device. It'll make a great Pandora player, and perhaps podcasts when there's a good player, but for real music and video I'll stick with my Zune. Thus, the Pre's 8GB is more than enough for me--but, I can see it being insufficient for some folks.
    I don't use my cell phone as a primary media player either. I use it for things like Pandora, and playing a few of my favorite songs--that's it. I have an iPod, and probably will get a Zune HD as well.

3. The OLED screen will be impressive, if true, if only for the improved battery life. Of course, the iPhone really needs it.
    I think that's where a lot of the rumored battery-life increases are from. Also, the new chip might be more efficient. That will be real handy. I don't know why Apple has to be stubborn and not make the batteries removable. They can charge a FORTUNE for them, and people will buy them, because of a little glowy Apple logo of some kind.

4. Even if iPhone 3.0 does end up multitasking, it won't be nearly the experience that it is with the Pre, which was engineered from the ground up for multitasking. And that's in terms of more than just performance--the Pre's interface is optimized for running more than one app at a time. The iPhone's simply isn't. Consider notifications on the Pre vs. the iPhone.
    All I can say, is this can change over night. I know Apple doesn't do that, but if the Pre is enough of a challenger, they will adapt. They could come up with something better than cards--who knows.

The rest is just cosmetics and playing catchup, as far as I'm concerned. Indeed, I think Apple's a little uncomfortable, given that the Pre's most powerful asset (for me, at least) is its incredible user interface. Isn't that supposed to be Apple's real strength?
    I think this new iPhone is a real contender--but without the keyboard, I think it's still a major disadvantage. I hate when the OSK covers half the screen...
    2. For myself, I'm not planning on using my Pre as a primary music device. It'll make a great Pandora player, and perhaps podcasts when there's a good player, but for real music and video I'll stick with my Zune. Thus, the Pre's 8GB is more than enough for me--but, I can see it being insufficient for some folks.
    Zune? You are in the minority there. I use a seperate device right now because my Centro has a 2.5mm headphone jack and because Chattermail already puts a heavy load on the battery but I don't understand why a smartphone that is supposed to be competing with the iPhone would encourage me to carry an extra device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Zune? You are in the minority there. I use a seperate device right now because my Centro has a 2.5mm headphone jack and because Chattermail already puts a heavy load on the battery but I don't understand why a smartphone that is supposed to be competing with the iPhone would encourage me to carry an extra device.
    It's only competing with the iPhone because people compare it to it. It's more of an alternative than anything else--for those people who just don't want an iPhone. Palm has said many times that they don't plan on killing the iPhone--that they can coexist peacefully. Same for RIM and WM.

Perhaps one day the Pre/WebOS lineup can be your Jesus phone.

Are RIM devices crappy? Are WM devices crappy? Are all devices besides the iPhone 3G 16GB crappy? That's up to you. If you don't need the space, then perhaps you would appreciate the other features the Pre brings to the table. I care more about synergy, messaging, etc than ANNNYY multimedia feature. I could care less if it even played music, honestly. I do like Pandora, but it's more of a toy than anything else.

I might use it more now that I will have a phone with a 3.5mm jack, but only time will tell.
    Here's a random thought - stop thinking of the phone as competing with the iPhone. I bet all your troubles melt away.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Before foaming at the mouth over an OLED screen, you should at least know what it is or see one. Seriously, ask a few friends and you'll get "huh?"
    I have seen one and its really nice. I have my doubts the new iPhone will have it, but it is very nice technology.

As I current iPhone owner, I will be very satisfied with a stronger processor, double the RAM, double the storage space. Besides having a LED indicator light and a front facing camera, I'm not sure what else is left to add.

Most of the enhancements will now be in software.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have seen one and its really nice. I have my doubts the new iPhone will have it, but it is very nice technology.

As I current iPhone owner, I will be very satisfied with a stronger processor, double the RAM, double the storage space. Besides having a LED indicator light and a front facing camera, I'm not sure what else is left to add.

Most of the enhancements will now be in software.
    If i choose to stick with my iphone, i'd upgrade in a heartbeat. No doubt. Processor and RAM is enough for me. I'd stay with 16gb.

It all comes down to how the Pre performs for me. And how the app store is. Regardless, the wife gets a Pre even if i don't so i will have both to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Zune? You are in the minority there.
    Yes, well, I'm also a radical for capitalism who abhors the altruist/collectivist mentality that's destroying Western civilization. That makes me a minority as well.

I guess I just go with what works best for its stated purpose, and that's why I'll be getting a Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If i choose to stick with my iphone, i'd upgrade in a heartbeat. No doubt. Processor and RAM is enough for me. I'd stay with 16gb.

It all comes down to how the Pre performs for me. And how the app store is. Regardless, the wife gets a Pre even if i don't so i will have both to play with.
    Agreed. Both is the only way to go.
    These specs are completely rumored and there is no evidence of any of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Pre to iPhone: "You complete me."

Oh my. That's wrong on so MANY levels. And yet, awesome at the same time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    These specs are completely rumored and there is no evidence of any of it.
    Agreed, I'm almost ready to do a comparison of iPhone and Pre using Pre rumors like having 4G.

I trust Palm a lot more than I trust Apple. The Pre may not beat the NEW iPhone spec by spec, but I've always been happy with Palm's support and Sprint's network. I am not jumping ship.
    Yes, well, I'm also a radical for capitalism who abhors the altruist/collectivist mentality that's destroying Western civilization. That makes me a minority as well.

I guess I just go with what works best for its stated purpose, and that's why I'll be getting a Pre.
    Maybe not such a minority.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philips
    Can the competition - including the iphone - surpass the webOS USER INTERFACE? The webOS multi-tasking EXPERIENCE?
    It's hard to say. I don't know anyone who has tried it. Has anyone here actually tried it? Used it for a day? Held it for 15 minutes? Please post something here so that we can have some first-hand impressions. I understand that you saw the videos but the wonderful user interface experience we all know and love mostly comes from your imagination.
    Honestly, I don't know if you are just playing semantics, or you misunderstood me....

But....

If - your point is that the Pre is an 'unproven' device, yes everyone knows that. It still has to prove itself in the real-world in terms of 'responsiveness' to inputs.

On the other hand, the point *I* was making, was that the 'design' of the UI - the 'cards' metaphor, and the associated 'gestures' are not only revolutionary, but also INCREDIBLY well thought-out and intuitive.

Even if we go with the blind assumption that the competition makes an extremely 'responsive' device - CAN they 'design' an equally compelling, intuitive User-Interface? I submit to you, no - we will not see such a quantum leap in smartphone USER-INTERFACE for another couple of years.

Oh. And I will also go out on a limb and predict that the Pre's User-Interface will be as 'responsive' as seen in the videos we have drooled over.

I've got ten bucks on it
    Dont forget these:

*Stuck on AT&T's crappy "3G" service thats spotty as hell.
    *Costs almost $90 monthly for the lowest individual plan after adding a text package & taxes.
    *At the mercy of Apple's ridiculous app approval process.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    The compass will allow for some novel applications:

(1) Ability to tell what you're looking at, if what you're looking at is on the map.
    (2) Ability to navigate independently of the road system, such as while walking. (Short cuts, navigating through woods, etc.)
    (3) Ability to locate another iPhone user by directing you to him/her.
    (4) Ability to home in on a moving object that is transmitting its GPS position, such as a tracking collar, a Lojack device, or another phone.
    (5) Games played in person among multiple iPhone users by walking around.
    (6) Bermuda triangle, astral portal, time warp, and health spa detectors.

I'm sure developers will dream up many other apps.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The iphone is awesome, but at&t sucks. I ain't leaving my simply everything plan for any phone no matter how good it is.
    iPhone could have a 4ghz cpu, 1TB storage and 20 days of talk time and I wouldn't bite as long as Apple has draconian control of what apps can run on it.

Imagine if the apps you are 'allowed' to run on your desktop were controlled by one company. It's call fascism.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast