1.    #1  
    Rumor: Next-gen, OLED iPhone coming on July 17 - The Tech Report

We've all been whining for palm to add a microSD card to the Pre, and Palm's unstated response has been "8 GBytes is enough"

Well, apparently Apple doesn't think so. I sure hope Palm realizes how tough it's going to be to cross-sell an 8 Gbyte Pre against a 32 GByte iPhone.

Or, for that matter, a $199 8 Gbyte Pre against a $199 16 GByte iPhone.

Still, Palm has hinted that there's "one more big thing" coming - let's hope it's a 32 GByte version of the Pre :-)
    I think the "big thing" for Palm will be Flash support but I could easily be wrong. It's just a guess.

OLED screen is a great idea and I'm sure we will see more of them in the future. Storage is not a primary concern of mine. On my TP I have a few 2GB cards but I hardly swap them because most of my media is streamed these days. I don't play much back from the card so it's no big deal to fill up a 2GB card with music before a road trip.

The 7GB available on the Pre should be enough for me for the time being. Just depends how big and plentiful the apps turn out to be.

Another good thing about using the Telenav service is I won't have to dedicate a gig or more to TomTom or Garmin maps like I do now
    I think the majority of people buying the phone will think 8 gb is plenty. I personally have a huge music collection and would prefer a larger size, but I can make due with the 8gb.

I think its ridiculous when I see my friends with iPhones and they carry that AND their old ipods for the music. They do that because the iPhone battery doesn't last long enough for their music and phone use.
    Oh no, not this again!

Apple\iPhone is a media centric device so its no surprise they are adding to it. Palm is going after different market.
  5.    #5  
    Well, by definition, they're obviously not going after the market of "current Apple iPhone users" :-)

I'm a corporate user, and I need/want/intend to carry my customer files with me - and pictures and music, and hmmmm, maybe a movie or two for the airplane?

Regardless of the market Palm thinks/says they're going after, a lot of people are going to compare the iPhone and Pre, and a lot of them will fixate on "Apple = 32 GBytes, Palm = 8 GBytes" Bigger seems to be better; people are funny that way :-)
  6.    #6  
    BTW, I'm not entirely sure I agree with the forum this has been moved to. While I certainly enjoy a "mine's bigger than yours" fight as much as anyone, the point to this post is competition to the Pre, and how Palm/Sprint will position the Pre vis-a-vis other market offerings. it's not the specific comparison to Apple, it's whether or notpalm has mis-read the market, or left themselves an unnecessary Achilles heel.
    There are a couple billion cell phone users out there, and only several million iPhones. Palm has plenty of room to expand into non-iPhone territory.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    With Palm hanging by threads, I don't think they have the cash to produce another model. They need to get the first generation out and get webOS on its feet. Then it can focus on future phones and webOS updates.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    With Palm hanging by threads, I don't think they have the cash to produce another model. They need to get the first generation out and get webOS on its feet. Then it can focus on future phones and webOS updates.
    With respect (and speaking as head of a tech company myself), I disagree - the heavy lifting's all been done, the engineers are on the payroll anyway, so it would take relatively little cash to design two or three spin-off models, and/or a few enhanced Pre models.

In fact, I seriously hope they're busy doing exactly that, as one model is never going to capture all segments of the available market.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I think the "big thing" for Palm will be Flash support but I could easily be wrong. It's just a guess.
    that's a REAL NICE "one more thing" for Ruby to say on the D conference!
    This new iPhone seems more like a spec bump than a new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    This new iPhone seems more like a spec bump than a new device.
    You sound like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Colligan (Palm) regarding the iPhone
    We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone," Ed Colligan apparently laughed about with John Markoff last Thursday morning. "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in.
    Never underestimate the competition.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...obile-austria/

Perhaps some truth to the 32GB rumor.

Another rumor that 16GB will no longer be available, and it will be 8GB(for those who want to keep costs down) and 32GB only.

Rumour: 16GB iPhone Declared “End of Life” By Vodafone & Brightpoint | MacTalk Australia
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Interesting take if true Diva.

Apple and Palms cards are annoyingly tight atm!! Okay calm down, in a month we will know all the info...
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go