Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Just wondering, will there be the typical $3 + $4 insurance/repair available for the PRE, or will they jack it up (or not offer it at all)?
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    The insurance on Sprint is $7 & will most likely be available for the Pre.
    Here is a discussion from a while ago on whether it is worth it or not.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-7-month.html
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I think Pre's insurance will be like all other Sprint phones: $7 a month thru Asurion with a $100 deductible replacement. Which btw, is a ridiculous amount to pay...
    Full coverage insurance is $7 not sure about the detuctable.
    Prob better to insure it yourself on the side.

For example, with a coupon right now on Squaretrade its $76 for 2-yr coverage with $50 deductible. Sprint wants $100 deductible and $7/month (total $168)
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    For example, with a coupon right now on Squaretrade its $76 for 2-yr coverage with $50 deductible. Sprint wants $100 deductible and $7/month (total $168)
    SquareTrade FTW!!!

I had a Nokia smartphone on T-Mobile that I bought brand new on eBay with a 3 year warranty. It crapped out after 13 months, and SquareTrade refunded me the full amount that I had paid for the phone! No deductibles or usual insurance company bullcrap.
    I am definitly trying SquareTrade out. This price I am paying is ridiculous, and Sprint doesnt even do anything when you take the phone in.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    Prob better to insure it yourself on the side.

But on the other hand, Squaretrade only insures up to $399. The Pre is $549. That's a $149 difference for a new one. Only $100 through Sprint.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    But on the other hand, Squaretrade only insures up to $399. The Pre is $549. That's a $149 difference for a new one. Only $100 through Sprint.
    SquareTrade only refunds you what you actually pay for the phone. So unless you are going to buy it outright, you should be fine. Also, note that they will only refund you if they cannot fix your phone.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    SquareTrade only refunds you what you actually pay for the phone. So unless you are going to buy it outright, you should be fine. Also, note that they will only refund you if they cannot fix your phone.
    But if I buy it for $199 and it breaks, I will get my $199 refunded to me by squaretrade. Then I go to Sprint or Best Buy and have to pay full price for it? I think I am missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I think the point was if your phone breaks before you are elegible for upgrade again (essentially meaning you would be paying full retail price not the $199), squaretrade will not be able to pay you everything you would need to get a new phone. You would be on the hook for the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDynasty View Post
    I am definitly trying SquareTrade out. This price I am paying is ridiculous, and Sprint doesnt even do anything when you take the phone in.
    I have wrecked at least 6 phones in the past 10 years ... Sprint has replaced every one with no questions asked. As soon as they see you have the insurance, the whole conversation changes.

And I'm not talking cheapie phones. A Treo 300 (twice), a Treo 600, a Treo 650 and a Treo 755. And my daughter's Musiq at least twice.

And I only paid $50 on the deductible.

Just my experience. The insurance is worth it ... especially since AT&T won't offer it on that phone.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414 View Post
    I have wrecked at least 6 phones in the past 10 years ... Sprint has replaced every one with no questions asked. As soon as they see you have the insurance, the whole conversation changes.

And I'm not talking cheapie phones. A Treo 300 (twice), a Treo 600, a Treo 650 and a Treo 755. And my daughter's Musiq at least twice.

And I only paid $50 on the deductible.

Just my experience. The insurance is worth it ... especially since AT&T won't offer it on that phone.
    But Sprint has increased the deductible to $100.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    Just wondering, will there be the typical $3 + $4 insurance/repair available for the PRE, or will they jack it up (or not offer it at all)?
    Sprint sinsurer, Asuron jacked it up for all smartphones a couple of months go when they raised deductible to $100.

You do have a one year warranty on Palm without the insurance. Sprint spolicy is to handle the warranty for you with no cost for warranty repairs the first year.

So the "warranty" portion of the TEP is useless to the consumer the first year when the phone has the most replacement cost to you.

Most people who look at it rationally would point to the benefit of avoiding these "insurances". The companies are just passing on all costs, including fraud, profit and overhead to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414 View Post
    I have wrecked at least 6 phones in the past 10 years ... Sprint has replaced every one with no questions asked. As soon as they see you have the insurance, the whole conversation changes....
    That is an anecdote. Even if true it is like an anecdote about people winning at scratch lottery. It ignores the huge majority of poeple who lose money on insurance and for whom it is to wroth it.

The odds have already been calculated, by the insurance companies and the state lotteries. the resulting cost benefit is all in their favor. And that is unshakable fact no matter how many anecdotes are related.

By the way if you look at prices on ebay and ciosndier $100 deductables it is almost imposible to justify the expense on that data alone -- even if you do wreck a lot of phones.

At a 6x $100 deductible and $7x12 x10 (840 plus tax) you get close to $1500 in insurance and deductible expanses pop "wrecking" six phones. A year old phone typically sells $200 maximum on ebay and you would pay $250 a peice by insuring them!!
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    As others have said, the full Sprint insurance is $7/mo, but $100 deductible. I just got back fro Best Buy, their insurance is a bit different. I already forget--too much Nutrasweet!--but theirs was either $9 or $10 per month, but they had no deductible & they said they gave you a loaner while your phone was being repaired. They said there were only 2 things they don't cover--theft & loss of phone.

Not sure what I will do, but it is worth talking to both, IMO.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    As others have said, the full Sprint insurance is $7/mo, but $100 deductible. I just got back fro Best Buy, their insurance is a bit different. I already forget--too much Nutrasweet!--but theirs was either $9 or $10 per month, but they had no deductible & they said they gave you a loaner while your phone was being repaired. They said there were only 2 things they don't cover--theft & loss of phone.

Not sure what I will do, but it is worth talking to both, IMO.

Cheers
    Looking at complaints on BestBuy's forums, the loaner is usually a POS phone, not a comparable device. And they could have your phone for over a month before they deem it completely replaceable. And yeah, Asurion covers theft&loss while BB won't.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Sprint$ $only$ $charges$ $deductibles$ $under$ $three$ $circumstances$, $all$ $of$ $which$ $are$ $preventable$ $by$ $intelligent$ $use$: $1$. $Water$ $Damage$. $2$. $Loss$. $3$. $Theft$

I recently brought in my instinct (which I purchased off of CL) told them the screen was wrecked. five days later I had a new phone, no money out of pocket. The way I understand the insurance is that they do not charge you deductibles for manufacturer malfunctions nor for wear and tear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Sprint$ $only$ $charges$ $deductibles$ $under$ $three$ $circumstances$, $all$ $of$ $which$ $are$ $preventable$ $by$ $intelligent$ $use$: $1$. $Water$ $Damage$. $2$. $Loss$. $3$. $Theft$
    I think a good question might be is how susceptible is that water damage hologram to general moisture? I hear simple steam from a shower can affect the iPhone's hologram.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    i'm sure it will cover it. HTC pro retails for more and they cover it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast