Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now we know it's $199, which is a good price, but how can it even compete with a $99 iPhone3.0?
    Just like they did with the Instink, Sprint may have to adjust the price based on the announced price of the new Iphone. Palm should've undercut them from day one but that's just my opinion.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Now we know it's $199, which is a good price, but how can it even compete with a $99 iPhone3.0?
    It will compete very well because the $99 iPhone 3.0 does not exist.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Also, it's their WebOS Centro replacement that's going to fight on that price point (as well as on other carriers) not the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    It will compete very well because the $99 iPhone 3.0 does not exist.
    Neither does the $199 Pre if you purchase it at Sprint - it's a $300 Pre to your wallet until (if) your rebate gets correctly (as in perfectly) filed and is actually fulfilled (Uh-oh!).
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Neither does the $199 Pre if you purchase it at Sprint - it's a $300 Pre to your wallet until (if) your rebate gets correctly (as in perfectly) filed and is actually fulfilled (Uh-oh!).
    Well don't get it from Sprint then. Get it at Best Buy.
    There is no $99 iPhone. There is a $199 Pre. This thread is dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Well don't get it from Sprint then. Get it at Best Buy.
    Has Best Buy announced their price yet... will it be $199... for upgrades, I have not read anything on that yet... normally Best Buy has a new price which is the same as the after rebate as Sprint and an upgrade price which has been anywhere from a 20 to 50 dollar diff
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Well, they all have their share of rip-offs. But I think what the poster meant was that the $99 hasn't been announced yet. And granted they would push through with that price it would still be an after-rebate price and not out of pocket.
    Theoretically, if Apple releases a $99 iPhone with an OLED, increased storage and a 'glowing Apple insignia' on the back, along with the software features, then the Pre might be in trouble.

But like everyone else has said, that iPhone doesnt exist. And no iPhone exists (that isnt jailbroken) that can multitask & Synergize (the verb form, of course)!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    No.

One of the few bonus's the iPhone has over the Pre is the storage, however all reports of the $99 rumor I've heard puts the memory at about 8GB, so while cheaper than the Pre is a bonus in the process it takes away one of the iPhone's other bonus's.

Beyond that.

Pre still mutitasks better
    Pre still has a keyboard
    Pre still has arguably easier to use and more efficient universal search
    Pre still have a removable battery
    Pre still has non-intrusive notifications
    Pre still has synergy
    Pre's plans are still cheaper

This is not even taking into account that most of the Pre business will be current sprint customers and I don't see a $99 iphone being a major incentive to jump away from sprint to AT&T.

So no, I do not believe the Pre will be "Slaughtered"
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Theoretically, if Apple releases a $99 iPhone with an OLED, increased storage and a 'glowing Apple insignia' on the back, along with the software features, then the Pre might be in trouble.

But like everyone else has said, that iPhone doesnt exist. And no iPhone exists (that isnt jailbroken) that can multitask & Synergize (the verb form, of course)!
    Of course this is an absurd discussion on its face, but the logic seems odd to me even if this mythical super iPhone were real. iPhone users or people considering the two would only have a preference for the Pre based on its hardware keyboard, superior software, and Sprint's plan affordability and/or superior 3G coverage.

More storage on an iPhone or an OLED screen or an FM transmitter doesn't address any of these competitive advantages by the Pre. It may excite some Apple users who had considered switching, but then again...ANY new iPhone model would.

And as I've said before, a $99 price point is fine, but you'd pay the $100 difference in AT&T service fees within a few months, then keep paying it for another year and half or so.

I guess some people in this forum are predisposed to quake in fear at any iPhone rumor or model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No.

One of the few bonus's the iPhone has over the Pre is the storage, however all reports of the $99 rumor I've heard puts the memory at about 8GB, so while cheaper than the Pre is a bonus in the process it takes away one of the iPhone's other bonus's.

Beyond that.

Pre still mutitasks better
    Pre still has a keyboard
    Pre still has arguably easier to use and more efficient universal search
    Pre still have a removable battery
    Pre still has non-intrusive notifications
    Pre still has synergy
    Pre's plans are still cheaper

This is not even taking into account that most of the Pre business will be current sprint customers and I don't see a $99 iphone being a major incentive to jump away from sprint to AT&T.

So no, I do not believe the Pre will be "Slaughtered"
    I got to say that I think the Pre might have a slight match up problem when the average person compares.

Im not sure "synergy" stands out compared to the 32 gig of space, video recording, 25,000 apps.

Plus, I trust Apple to advertise the heck out of why the iPhone is the best thing ever. Palm can't even get their countdown clock right.
    Ehh...i'm tired of the iphone vs pre crap.

Both will do well for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I got to say that I think the Pre might have a slight match up problem when the average person compares.

Im not sure "synergy" stands out compared to the 32 gig of space, video recording, 25,000 apps.
    1. The 32GB doesn't exist and won't when the Pre goes on sale. Won't even be announced, actually.
    2. When and if it does arrive, it'll be at least $100 more, so it's not the direct competitor.
    3. Video recording hasn't been on the iPhone for two years, so I highly doubt it getting it now when the Pre will also have it soon will make any difference.
    4. The number of apps is pointless. WM and PalmOS have way more than 25,000 and it's not a selling point for either OS. The ease-of-use of the App store and variety of apps is the appeal, and the Palm App Catalog looks to match the first out-of-the-box. The second will come with time.
    The T-Mobile G1 sold a million+ despite
    -what many agreed was an ugly design and awkward keyboard (chin on one side only)
    -no headphone jack for music
    -poor poor poor poor poooooooor battery life
    -Cupcake, which delivers features Android should have shipped with, delayed for months
    -Horrible GPS
    -iPhones being available already

The Pre is not going to bomb because they release a new iPhone, or finally let the OS update go out of Beta. Android did really well despite the iPhone. So did the Blackberry Storm, they were both in the Top 5 sellling Smartphones for the past quarter. Let's not forget the Instinct, which became Sprint and Best Buy's best selling 3G phone despite not even having as many cool features as the Pre.

The Pre will do great, new iPhone or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    1. The 32GB doesn't exist and won't when the Pre goes on sale. Won't even be announced, actually.
    2. When and if it does arrive, it'll be at least $100 more, so it's not the direct competitor.
    3. Video recording hasn't been on the iPhone for two years, so I highly doubt it getting it now when the Pre will also have it soon will make any difference.
    4. The number of apps is pointless. WM and PalmOS have way more than 25,000 and it's not a selling point for either OS. The ease-of-use of the App store and variety of apps is the appeal, and the Palm App Catalog looks to match the first out-of-the-box. The second will come with time.
    - The 32 gig version will be announced next month.
    - It will probably be the same price as the 16gig one now.
    - I guess you havn't seen the "theres an app for that" commercials Apple runs like crazy.
    - The Beta 3.0 software reveals the video recording software that will be included at release time. I'm sure Apple will advertise the hell out of it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Oh, the Pre is definitely not a slam dunk against the iPhone. What I'm saying is I don't see anything coming up at WDCC that is likely going to make a significant number of people that were previously choosing the Pre over the iPhone suddenly switch back to choosing the iPhone.

People who were concerned with space above all else weren't going to likely go with the Pre anyways. If 32 gigs of space is a huge factor to you, you likely were going with the 16 gig iPhone over the Pre anyways. Same thing with the apps. If apps were your biggest concern and enough to sway you away from the Pre than whatever they announce at WDCC isn't likely to sway you greatly because you knew that already.

I guess what I'm saying is the only way the Pre is going to get "slaughtered" is if there's some major developments at WDCC that we didn't already know about and that are going to massively either surpass or at least match the portions of the Pre that are arguably superior to the iPhone. By all reports, that's not the case. No multitasking. No physical keyboard. No removal battery. No improved notifications.

What I'm saying is that, for the most part, there's nothing likely going to come out at WDCC that is going to be so massive that its going to cause the Pre from being something that has a legitimate chance of getting off the ground and stealing some people that would go to the iphone to becoming something that is "Slaughtered".
    Thanks, Z. I'm at launch and don't feel like typing a lengthy reply to Moby on my Instinct. Suffice it to say, the phones aren't direct analogues and neither answers the competitive edges of the other
    I actually dont think the Pre will "get slaughtered". I think it will do well and I am getting one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast