Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    - The 32 gig version will be announced next month.
    - Where did you get your facts that a 32GB iPhone will be announced next month? Not every company that has a track for few years will continously follow that especially with situation of our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    - I guess you havn't seen the "theres an app for that" commercials Apple runs like crazy.
    - If I may ask, since when Apple advertised this commercials? And with all that number of apps available how many of them has an identical use or features. I am a long time PalmOS and Windows Mobile user and half of what I've used on both OS does not exist at your App store.

I really don't understand why everybody is claiming or concerned that iPhone is better than Pre or the other way around. We have to realize that iPhone and Pre will suite the needs of someone. Heck if one is better than the other then how come not everybody is using that better phone?

Just my 2 cents.
  2.    #22  
    Some people are very ignorant. There was speculations back last December of a $99 iphone 3G at Wal-Mart that never materialized. I think the deal with WM fell through. But the ways are going now and the way the rumors are flowing... there will be a $99 model.

Yes, Pre has better this better that, yada yada yada.... but how will the average consumer see this? The media machine that is Apple has everyone blinded. How can Pre compete?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Yes, Pre has better this better that, yada yada yada.... but how will the average consumer see this? The media machine that is
    Apple has everyone blinded. How can Pre compete?
    There are more people who don't own an iPhone than do, so I think there is a large enough market for the Pre to be successful
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    There are more people who don't own an iPhone ...
    ...so far!

While most, even peripherally knowledgeable folks (rightfully) presume the Apple juggernaut will continue growing, the same can't be said of Palm and the Pre. Apple's market is a simple one - it's anyone that can imagine an iPhone as useful to them. Apples ads are more about "here's what you can do - and isn't that easy" than "here are the specs."

Palm hasn't done much toward targeting any particular market (umm, the "fat middle?") and most of the Pre discussion here and those Palm-hosted demos we've seen are about hardware specs, not how it will improve lifestyle. Only the hard core technorati that hang out at sites like this have the imagination/experience to intrinsically know how the Pre will help their lives, but it's not translating to the broader, general public ... which I assume is where that elusive "fat middle" resides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...so far!

While most, even peripherally knowledgeable folks (rightfully) presume the Apple juggernaut will continue growing, the same can't be said of Palm and the Pre. Apple's market is a simple one - it's anyone that can imagine an iPhone as useful to them. Apples ads are more about "here's what you can do - and isn't that easy" than "here are the specs."

Palm hasn't done much toward targeting any particular market (umm, the "fat middle?") and most of the Pre discussion here and those Palm-hosted demos we've seen are about hardware specs, not how it will improve lifestyle. Only the hard core technorati that hang out at sites like this have the imagination/experience to intrinsically know how the Pre will help their lives, but it's not translating to the broader, general public ... which I assume is where that elusive "fat middle" resides.
    What he said.
    most of the Pre discussion here and those Palm-hosted demos we've seen are about hardware specs, not how it will improve lifestyle.
    Oh, dear, how soon we forget the lessons of "Crossing the Chasm".... :-)

It's always easiest to market to the "early adopters" with raw numbers rather than touchy-feely "it's good for you!" sentiments. But in fact, it seems that Palm's (and presumably Sprint's) key marketing message is in fact about Synergy, not the underlying hardware.
    Palm and Sprint need to run commercials similar to the "Meet the Pre" videos on Palm's website.
    We live in a stupid world. Apple knows this and advertises effectively. Apple shows what the iphone can do for you directly and how easy it is.

Palm (or Sprint) do not know this yet.

Compare apple's iphone website to palm's. Before worrying about why they're not marketing or ad blitz's, you should wonder why Palm isn't updating their website. Right now its just a splash page with some features listed with pics, two apps promoted, and two lame videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    We live in a stupid world.
    No, we live in a great world full of stupid people :-)
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    There are more people who don't own an iPhone than do, so I think there is a large enough market for the Pre to be successful
    That's some wishful thinking, but it's the biggest fallacy ever.

Palm is already at a disadvantage, the biggest disadvantage- less consumer base. 0 to about 1 billion. And yet they haven't even started to advertise the Pre.
    I think the biggest thing going against the Pre is Sprint. I don't mean to bag on Sprint. They are a great value and network. But I don't think Palm or the Pre are strong enough brands or a draw to get people to switch. I think in time, once it has been established and is available on Verizon and AT&T it will gain a respectable market share.
    They do not need to crush or dominate the market to succeed.

So I predict a moderate to slow start with gaining market share in 9-12 months with exception of the launch honeymoon.

WebOS has a lot to offer. Particulalry to people who want a great multi tasking device and don't care much about games (like me.)

The only reasons I'm holding out:
    1) Sprint
    2) Until there most of my iPhone apps that I use day to day are available ok Pre, it doesn't interest me much. I hope development is strong.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12