1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    There is a lot of ballyhoo going on about the fact that the Pre will probably be coming out just before Apple's announcement of the new iPhone, and this may overshadow the Pre release. And oh my god isn't that crazy and awful!

Well I do of course see how people could see it that way, but seeing as how I'm not the CEO of either Sprint or Palm (although I think I have stock in Palm), I really don't care! I don't need to put myself in the shoes of the business, and if by some miracle the iPhone keeps its lordship over the supercool smartphone industry (that was sarcasm, of course it will), I highly doubt that Palm or Sprint will go out of business and stop supporting the Pre.

I am one person buying one product. So I'm hoping that everyone out there does get an iPhone so I don't end up being the 375,001st person to try to buy a Pre!
    Yeah pretty much. Palm won't die, with WebOS they have a VERY strong platform that at the worse would attract a buyer.
    I felt the same way, sorta...

I'm just wondering why people are saying Palm is "bold" for announcing it so close to the new iPhone release. The iPhone is the biggest competition, who better to go on the offensive with??? You don't earn stripes by battling no names.

Besides, people are going to compare the two whether Palm released it in Jan or June 6th anyway. Yes, they would have had a quarter and a half of sales before Apple announces a new device. That's not nearly enough time to revive Palm or Sprint if the new iPhone is SO much better anyway, it would simply delay the inevitable. So the logical thing to do is launch when the time is right for Palm/Sprint, not on Apple's schedule.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    No matter what Apple announces, it looks like they are already scratching their heads trying to get some sort of background apps to work

Apple may (or may not) be mulling background apps for the iPhone

And they barely got the push notification feature working. Kind of strange - but I think it's nice to see Apple play catch up for once
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    No matter what Apple announces, it looks like they are already scratching their heads trying to get some sort of background apps to work

Apple may (or may not) be mulling background apps for the iPhone

And they barely got the push notification feature working. Kind of strange - but I think it's nice to see Apple play catch up for once
    You nailed it.
    Interestingly, this means the Pre will indeed ship just days before Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, the event at which the company is expected to announce its next-generation iPhone. Which suggests that perhaps, as I theorized yesterday, Palm is hoping the Pre will benefit from the iPhone halo. “By debuting so close to the presumed announcement of the iPhone, Palm would be ensuring that its new device is fresh in the minds of anyone mulling the purchase of Apple’s latest offering–or writing about it,” I wrote. “It would be parasitically riding on the back on the Apple media juggernaut. Question is, can it hang on without getting trampled?”

Palm Pre Shipping June 6 for $199.99 | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD
    Pre's release timing has nothing to do with Apple. If it had been release a week or two earlier the same guys would be spinning they intentionally did that as well.

The pre's sales launch has one criteria: ASAP
    Agree. I don't think we can avoid the Apple talk. It's too easy for the media to talk about. It also seems as if that's what people want to do is compare anyways.

I still think people need to remember where palm was before Jan to appreciate what they have now. They are solidly back in the A club being compared with the other hero phones.

Iphone killer? LOL I think Palm is just happy to be back on the map and be relevant again. The only ones that can kill the iphone is apple and the choices they make with the walled garden approach and limitations they impose whether feature wise or AT&T related.