Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check the link.

iPhone rumor alert: Next-gen specs and launch date : Boy Genius Report

The OLED screen is probably nice, and probably helps with battery life.
    No word on screen resolution though.

Other than the compass and FM radio (uh....why?) the rest of the new specs are all evolutionary and bringing the iPhone up to specs with the rest of the world.

July 27th is the rumored date.
    If all that is true, it's making my decision between that and the PrPrPr&#$275$; $all$ $that$ $much$ $easier$! $That$'$s$ $pretty$ $weak$.
    The last Palm product I owned was the Zire71..the Prē is bringing me back.
    So, it's bringing sexy back!
    one thing im guessing is that if the new iphone does have an oled screen the picture will probably blow the socks off many other devices
    So I read it has an FM transmitter. Dunno about radio. I assume it's for playing music over your car radio. I noticed it didn't mention A2DP. I thought that was suppose to be included.
    oled display is going to be great...that's about the only thing I think worth taking note for me personally.
    FM tuner, unlikely as it will take away from some iTunes (no clue how much) FM transmitter is also possible but still unlikely as that takes away from add-on sales.
    oled is possible but would increase the price of the device by a pretty decent margin.
    Worth mentioning that OLED screens are horrible to use in sunlight.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Lots of high end phones already have OLED. It's nice..but on a 3.5 inch screen, it only matters with video. You icons still need to be so big for accurate touching, and text needs to stay big enough to read. I'll stick with my Archos 605 for video...iPhone 2,1 is nothing special to me, and I was heavily considering it.
    You are all ignoring the glowing Apple logo! FTW!
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Not so compelling for me.
    If it's an FM transmitter, it'll be just as useless as any other FM transmitter in a heavily populated area. I remember in Chicago, I never could find an open channel with no interference to use with any of my various MP3 players.

Here in the Valley outside of LA, it's a little better, but once I get into the city all bets are off.

And a compass? I've been trying to think of a cool use for a compass, haven't figured it out yet.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Built-in FM transmitter will negate the need for the extra accessory. I don't see it being an FM radio (receiver). Who listens to the radio anymore??

Other than the OLED screen, which should help battery life, I'll stick with the Pre.
    I read somewhere the compass has something to do with the turn-by-turn directions.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    And a compass? I've been trying to think of a cool use for a compass, haven't figured it out yet.
    There are two very immediate uses I know of:
    1) When combined with GPS (for location) and the accelerometer (for vertical orientation), the compass can be used as a real live panning street view as they have in Google Maps on the G1.
    2) My TomTom GPS unit has GPS, an accelerometer, and a compass. If I'm ever in an area where I lose my GPS signal (say, a tunnel), the accelerometer and compass can track my trajectory and continue plotting accurately without satellite data.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Video recording is pretty sweet...the Pre can't do that on launch can it?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    Sarcasm or an honest question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
    As far as we've been told... nope.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Sarcasm or an honest question?
    Not sarcasm. I was 80% sure it couldn't video, but not 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Other than the compass and FM radio (uh....why?)
    My N95-8GB has a pair of headphones that include an FM tuner built in and the phone controls and powers it. I get awesome reception and that's one thing I'm going to miss on the Pre.

FM is still in use, it works well as a broadcast medium, and has much better bandwidth than 3G. And it's nice to use to listen for new music rather than having to pay $1.29 for a song that you may not like. I don't even listen to music actually, I'm rather enjoying listening to NPR in the car, and that means I'm not supporting the RIAA and it's backwards practices by paying for music or listening to ads for it.

And the iphone has been panned for it's lack of battery life especially when the 3G radio is operating, that means that switching to an extremely low powered OLED display would make a huge difference in battery life, fixing one of the biggest problems with it.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    My N95-8GB has a pair of headphones that include an FM tuner built in and the phone controls and powers it. I get awesome reception and that's one thing I'm going to miss on the Pre.
    Are you sure that's how it works? I don't have an N95, but the Nokia N800 has an FM tuner as well. Except, it's not that the tuner is in the headphones. The tuner is an internal chip. The headphone wire acts as an antenna to pick up the signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast